Altaros 31gr Slugs...Video! 📸 Are they the best? (behind the scenes)

If that gun on first video is Prophet I then I think it has 1:32 twist ( long range pellets barrel) That new RTB barrel has 1:16 and light choke so it would be better for slugs.

I have that Prophet I with long range pellets barrel and I haven't got any luck for slugs. Not any brand.
We have organized competitions here, silhouette and benchrest at 100m.
Here is a fellow who has FX Impact .22 with Slug liner and with all the bell's and whistles he has successfully shot wins with Altaros slugs. I don't remember what the exact diameter and speeds are used. He uses a single shot tray.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted 45061
Thanks for the video!

Igolf@8 tested several slugs in his LR barrel when I was looking at buying a P1. He only had one group that was acceptable due to the slow twist rate. I waited and bought a P2 with the 1/17 twist rate. I haven't had a chance to shoot slugs except for H&N 21gr .218's and they were capable of 1 hole groups at 25yds. Hopefully I'll be stretching it out farther in the coming weeks.
@customcutter - if possible could you post back and let us know how you make out with that P2 and slugs after you've had opportunity to test? I've a P1 with the LR barrel and would really like to use it as a slugger - contemplating picking up one of those new barrels when they become available.

If that gun on first video is Prophet I then I think it has 1:32 twist ( long range pellets barrel) That new RTB barrel has 1:16 and light choke so it would be better for slugs.

I have that Prophet I with long range pellets barrel and I haven't got any luck for slugs. Not any brand.
Here is a fellow who has FX Impact .22 with Slug liner and with all the bell's and whistles he has successfully shot wins with Altaros slugs. I don't remember what the exact diameter and speeds are used. He uses a single shot tray.
It shot the Zan, KnockOuts, and Howlers very well. The only one that had a 6ft spread was the Alteros. I had some hopes for it performing better than it did, but I will be testing some Alteros out of my Brocock Concept XR Lite .25 next at 25 yards. Hopefully a different airgun and some more time will produce better results. That said, a slug barrel for the RTI would have also made the small groups of the Zan, KOs, and Howlers even smaller, so my initial impression of the Altaros slugs is that they are extremely picky on platforms and not for most airguns. Another test is in order! I do think @Laity has a 1:17 barrel on the Redwolf, so I look forward to his video as well.

Reactions: coffeepan
Yes I noticed that on your video. Well any case hope that there will be new tests with different airguns. I'm not trying to defend or speak for the Altaros slugs, I just stated that the combination the guy shot here with the competition Altaros was very functional. Let's see what new tests brings
Sorry I had to double check the footage so I deleted that comment but I am reposting it. Indeed the shot seen here from the previous target (pellet session) on the left was not an Altaros shot so the first round Altaros only hit once on the target on the right side middle. Definitely some more Altaros testing coming soon.

Yeah I am not pro or against any brand. I know the Altaros regulators have worked well from what I've been told from Richard in the video as well as others, but so far I am skeptical about the performance of these slugs. I think more testing with more time is in order.

Here is the screenshot reposted:
Screenshot_20221118-230203-384.png

@customcutter - if possible could you post back and let us know how you make out with that P2 and slugs after you've had opportunity to test? I've a P1 with the LR barrel and would really like to use it as a slugger - contemplating picking up one of those new barrels when they become available.
Hope to do some testing and pesting in the next few weeks. I will post back.

I too have tested the Altaros slugs in both .22 and .25 out of out .25 RAW HM1000x with the LW poly barrel, both Impacts, one with the .22 Superior Heavy, the other with the .25 Superior slug, the .25 Maverick with the Superior, and the .25 Red Wolf with the. 6b. I test most slugs from about 850fps up to around 1050fps and thats what I did with the Altaros slugs too. They shot pretty well at 50 and 75yds but not great at 100 and 150yds. Yes the BC’s are spectacular but if they weren’t super accurate in these airguns, what’s the point? While they did shoot pretty well, there are plenty of slugs from VK, Zan, Nielsen and others that will out shoot them out of our airguns. As always, I recommend everybody test everything for themselves Especially with airgun slugs, little differences from airgun to airgun can make a big difference.
Stoti

Last edited:
Referred my post above.... Just asked a fellow who shoots FX .22 Impact and slug liners and has gotten Altaros slugs to work quite well @100m, what is the speed etc. He told me this:
FX Impact .22 Slug liner and Altaros slugs. 40grain and 5.52mm diameter. 800mm barrel 290m/s 600mm barrel 280m/s 1:14 twist.
600mm barrel 31 grain 280m/s and 5.52 mm. 1:16
And he use single shot tray on bench rest competitions. He has won those 10 shots competitions more than few times.
If someone has same rig and like to do test this information might help get started

Last edited:
Referred my post above.... Just asked a fellow who shoots FX .22 Impact and slug liners and has gotten Altaros slugs to work quite well @100m, what is the speed etc. He told me this:
FX Impact .22 Slug liner and Altaros slugs. 40grain and 5.52mm diameter. 800mm barrel 290m/s 600mm barrel 280m/s 1:14 twist.
600mm barrel 31 grain 280m/s and 5.52 mm. 1:16
And he use single shot tray on bench rest competitions. He has won those 10 shots competitions more than few times.
If someone has same rig and like to do test this information might help get started
@Laity has an impact as well as a RW

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a little testing today at 22 yards. Just to see at that distance what would happen. Yes, I understand that this isn’t a slug barrel. But results are results either way.

So, the Knock Outs almost got into the same hole. The Altaros are 3 different sizes and I don’t recall them, but I did from Right to Left 3 of each.

The only of the Altaros that this barrel almost liked was the ones on the right. The Howler and Zan grouped decently as well.

Will try to test again, may up the power a bit. This tune has the 25gr RDs going out at just over 950fps

E268756E-01F6-4E17-91EF-793D959FB84F.jpeg

8CD21828-D298-4442-8689-56A55D4DFBFD.jpeg

C3646A1C-10FB-40C3-BE6E-629D68804B82.jpeg

83A5E2E1-D67E-4D2C-B3F4-C5C5090D81BD.jpeg

112E6ABE-DE18-4DA1-AA89-F83BCCD02294.jpeg

D4DCCA89-F9C7-446D-8A0A-FF64DD85DD3C.jpeg

I did a little testing today at 22 yards. Just to see at that distance what would happen. Yes, I understand that this isn’t a slug barrel. But results are results either way.

So, the Knock Outs almost got into the same hole. The Altaros are 3 different sizes and I don’t recall them, but I did from Right to Left 3 of each.

The only of the Altaros that this barrel almost liked was the ones on the right. The Howler and Zan grouped decently as well.

Will try to test again, may up the power a bit. This tune has the 25gr RDs going out at just over 950fps

View attachment 307279
View attachment 307278
View attachment 307277
View attachment 307276
View attachment 307275

View attachment 307280
Kalibrgun next?

Also I could be incorrect but I think left to right it was 5.48, 5.49, and 5.5 on the diameters

Reactions: intenseaty22

View attachment 307279
View attachment 307278
View attachment 307277
View attachment 307276
View attachment 307275

View attachment 307280
When I first got the P2, I was sighting it in at 25yds in my backyard. I didn't have a moderator on it, and the only .22 slugs I had were the H&N 21gr .218's. I shot 4 rds at 130bar and 1000fps. The target had a hole in it that looked like a single .25caliber hole. I decided to take the Tanto .25 moderator off of my AEA HP TD Carbine and put it on my P2. I shot the next four slugs at another point on the target, and they opened up to almost .75" CTC. I shot 4 more slugs, and the group was still about .75" CTC. I realized that the group had opened up and took the moderator off. I shot 4 more slugs without the moderator and the group was maybe .375" and a flyer. I tried another 4 slugs and the same thing happened. I'm pretty sure that the moderator was opening the groups on my P2. In defense of the DonnyFL Tanto it is a .25-.30 model and the P2 is a .22, so I think that may be why the groups opened up. I plan on testing the theory again at longer distances when the wind settles down.

Just and FYI, and don't know if anyone else has noticed anything similar.

This test of yours has no value if the barrel is not standard (1:17")
This thing about the test not having any value is what keeps me scratching my head. I mean, I guess I understand that that twist rate is what slugs require, or perhaps not always. Perhaps there is something to be learned, even from someone with little knowledge of the subject matter, someone that said, Hell, why not?! Yeah, I think I will shoot slugs out of a Springer!!

Go ahead and jump to 1:18 so I don’t bore you to death.

I neither say for nor against. The only thing I noticed in the video was the text 5.48 5.49, and 5.5 on the back of the slug package. So it was some sample box.

I think that all airgun enthusiasts know that the right diameter means a lot in terms of accuracy. Same thing even shooting pellets or slugs.

Here is a combo that has been tried and tested many times on the range. The same text I wrote in the thread of the other 31grain video

"FX Impact .22 Slug liner and Altaros slugs. 40grain and 5.52mm diameter. 800mm barrel 290m/s 600mm barrel 280m/s 1:14 twist.
600mm barrel 31 grain 280m/s and 5.52 mm. 1:16"

This is already one proven combination with Altaros slugs. Of course, that doesn't mean that it works for everyone, because barrels and guns have their own characteristics, even if the brand is the same. But it's easy to start doing a test when you already have some data. This data is @ 100m tests