Air Venturi Altering Wood Grips

I got an Air Venturi V10 yesterday and I am very happy with it but the stocks need to be altered a bit to fit my hand. Specifically, I need to reduce the angle and height of the thumb rest. I thought I could just use sandpaper and carefully remove small amounts, check frequently, and arrive at a good shape. But I am not handy at all, and certainly not any kind of wood craftsman so I figured a google research would give me videos and articles on how to do this but I could not find any.

What I did find was articles on how to make grips and the tools and skills involved make it obvious that such a task would be way over my head. It also appeared that sending them to a craftsman to shape would probably cost more than the pistol. Can anyone give me any advice on this, or link to a video or article that might help?

IMG_0874 (1).jpg
IMG_0875 (1).jpg

I am a lefty so I had to learn to make my own grips or find someone reasonally priced to do it for me. For years in my PB days I made my own mods or full grips and actually got pretty fair at it after a few years. After I started getting seriously into airguns and especially air pistols I heard about Vern Austin. At the time I was collecting alot of vintage American air pistols so I gave him a try and haven't made a set on my own since. After making them myself I don't know how he does it so reasonable and his work is excellent. I would check into him making a pair for you before taking it on yourself if you aren't equiped for working with wood and have some experience.

Reactions: sjs
I'm not a woodworker type of person but I did take on this same type of task last year with a Marauder stock and it turned out decent. The process and final wood finish products I used are listed n there. https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/marauder-stock-redesign-and-refinish.1283914/

As far as learning what you might not know goes, look up YouTube videos wood finishing. There's a lot of woodworking videos out there, and a few on gun stock refinishing. These videos will also help you to decide what final surface finish that your after, along with with the learning process.

As said by other's, go slow and use the 1/2 round wood rasps to get the initial shape out of the way. They are going to take off the most wood the fastest, but also keep that in mind when determining what final size and fit you want because you will be sanding those filing marks out and making the grips even smaller. In areas not needing as much material taken off just use sand paper. Get an assortment pack of sandpaper grits from 80, 120, 220, 320, 400 & 600 to smooth the wood for final finish.

Use plenty of masking tape to cover the areas that you do not want material removed from. Masking tape helps as a visual guide too. It may be best not to do any sanding with them installed either, unless the gun is masked off well too. One slip and there will be permeant scratches on the metal. Take pictures and post them up when you get done.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjs and beerthief
I'm not a woodworker type of person but I did take on this same type of task last year with a Marauder stock and it turned out decent. Look up YouTube videos wood finishing, as there's a lot of woodworking videos out there. These videos will also help you to decide what final finish that your after, along with with the learning process.

As said by other's, go slow and use the 1/2 round wood rasps to get the initial shape out of the way. They are going to take off the most wood the fastest, but also keep that in mind when determining what final size and fit you want because you will be sanding those filing marks out and making the grips even smaller. In areas not needing as much material taken off just use sand paper. Get an assortment pack of sandpaper grits from 80, 120, 220, 320, 400 & 600 to smooth the wood for final finish.

Use plenty of masking tape to cover the areas that you do not want material removed from. Masking tape helps as a visual guide too. It may be best not to do any sanding with them installed either, unless the gun is masked off well too. One slip and there will be permeant scratches on the metal. Take pictures and post them up when you get done.
wood rasps are very aggressive and leave deep marks to sand off

All of the methods mentioned will work. Go slow when you think you are getting close.

Just grab the grips and mark the areas that don’t feel right to you.
Remove grips from gun and file/ sand/ rasp away some of the material.
Put grips back on gun and see how it feels.
Repeat process until it feels good to you.
The. Finish with the material you choose., or leave bare wood.

You can also use a dremel tool with sanding disks, but be careful as they can be aggressive, and any slips will leave a mark.

When you are done, you can be proud you did it yourself and learned a new skill.

so, the pistol when closing the cocking arm will not build pressure
these pistols hold the air between the end of the piston head and the valve but it is not like a multi pump
it can only leak from the tube Oring or a damaged piston head Oring and they do not have an oil hole so adding oil to lube the piston head Oring is not possible
now i guess the valve could be partially open and then you would have air coming out the barrel

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas