N/A Alternatives to BRK Ghost? What am I missing out on?

I bought a BRK Sniper XR in .22 about a year ago locally here from Airguns of AZ (lucky to have them so close.) It’s been great, zero issues. I’ve recently put a AGM Rattler thermal scope on it and been shooting rats. Next level fun.

At the time I bought it I knew very little about PCPs and didn’t really know what I wanted. Now I do.

I want a Ghost because that’s all I know. But it has all the “wants” I’d like to have. Can you give me advice on other guns I should be looking at? AOA, while fantastic, doesn’t carry many of the brands I see listed here and often praised.

Here’s my “wants” in order of importance.

1) Size. Must be a bullpup or smaller. Had I known how important a very compact package would be in my current endeavors I’d have bought a bullpup. This is my #1 requirement and my #1 regret with the XR. With the XR and moderator it’s very long. AOA guys talked me into the Sniper XR (and it was good advice at the time) but I wish I’d have know about the ghost at the time. They did well because I went to buy an Akela. If the XR were in a compact bullpup config I wouldn’t be posting.

2). Weight. With the thermal and sometimes a bipod the XR gets a bit heavy. Lighter the better, but I’ll make concessions here for other qualities. Needs to be able to be easily fired while standing, shoulder fired.

3) Power adjustments are important (possibly including barrel changes for length/fps). I would like to be able to change velocities being that Im shooting in my backyard. Sometimes the XR punches through a few more “things” than I wish it did. At the same time I want to shoot ring neck doves at the dairies, so I need the higher power as well.

4) Shot capacity. Not so critical, but 10 round magazines like the XR would be fine, doesn’t need to be semi. No single shot.

5) Shots per fill. More is better, but I have a tank from AOA and they’re only 7 miles away. Do prefer the look of the CF vs aluminum “on gun” tanks (not sure what they’re called?).

6) Available mods. So I have a lathe and milling machine and own dozens of firearms. I don’t think any of them are “stock.” So I was a bit disappointed to see how little the BRKs can be modified. It’s kind of what I do, I tinker, modify and play with my toys usually until they’re perfected or broken....both expensive directions.

Forgot to add that it needs to be quiet, very quiet. I have a moderator on my BRK and it’s insanely quiet, but without it, the neighbors may call. (I can legally shoot in my backyard according to city regs, I’ve checked.)

I’d appreciate any advice on pcps I may not know about that would fit this bill. I also really liked the RTI Prophet I looked at FWIW. What in the FX lineup would be comparable? AGT? Taipan?

Caliber would be .22. If I’ve forgotten something LMK.
Thanks!

Keep your Sniper XR for those longer shots at the dairy… Maybe consider a Pathfinder XR, which I own. Or, my favorites, the Atomic or Ranger XRs. 4.65 pounds before you add your goodies, so very easy to keep under 8 pounds. Both of mine easily take rats and small pests out to 50+ yards. I went from a Sniper HR to the Atomic XR with zero regrets…

View attachment 435588

View attachment 435589
Leon - you may be on to something.

As I wrote in my post above I picked up the Vulcan 3 but I’m having some serious regret being it is so loud.

I’d be more than happy to have my Sniper XR but about 12-18” shorter including moderator.

This sounds like what you did? Did you mean the Sniper XR to Atomic? Aren’t they all the same gun basically? With different barrel lengths and “do-dads”?

Did you lose much “punch?” Seems the rats are just as dead as they are with my Sniper XR.

I can’t believe how quiet my Sniper XR (with Huggit) vs the Vulcan 3. If I have to put a moderator on the Vulcan it seems I haven’t really accomplished any shortening of the overall package.

@bmihlfeith, it was a Bantam Sniper HR, the precursor to your Sniper XR. As to the familial resemblances, the Pathfinder XR is but a smaller Commander XR. The Atomic/Ranger, smaller versions of the Concept XR. Both my Atomics are doing 17 FPE at the muzzle and 8.5 FPE at 50 yards, sending 14.3 grain CPHPs. I’ve taken starlings cleanly out to 60 yards and a few woodchucks at 30 yards. Lots of rats and sparrows from 25-40 yards. I get 30 shots from a 250 bar fill, plenty for my pesting sessions. If I understood your post the Sniper is already serving well in its role. Why duplicate that with another gun? If you go the smaller gun route, you are literally doubling your pesting opportunities… Check out @igolfat8 his kill numbers with his Atomic XR are 🙀🙀🙀🙀

Last edited:
Leon - the Sniper XR is about a foot (maybe two) feet too long. I miss shots all the time due to having to work in cramped conditions where I can’t maneuver for a good shot.

Imagine waking down a hallway and shooting around the corner (wood/pallets/plants…stuff). I’m often bumping the muzzle on something. Shots are taken with ten yards usually, never more than 30 yards using a thermal scope.

Leon - the Sniper XR is about a foot (maybe two) feet too long. I miss shots all the time due to having to work in cramped conditions where I can’t maneuver for a good shot.

Imagine waking down a hallway and shooting around the corner (wood/pallets/plants…stuff). I’m often bumping the muzzle on something. Shots are taken with ten yards usually, never more than 30 yards using a thermal scope.
I use to have the same issue shooting inside, around cows, tight spaces. For what you are describing something like this is all you need. The only thing you give up is shot count. Plenty of power for the pestting your describing.

IMG_1137.jpeg

Alright - so I did pick up the Vulcan 3. It was LNIB (I don’t think it’d been shot) with all of the original accessories including original box. It seems to be mostly what I want, but man is it loud. This is the 500mm .22.

I think it may be because my ear is so close to the action. My Sniper XR is virtually silent in comparison. Not sure if it’s me, the gun, or what….? I need to have my son shoot them side by side so I can see if it’s more an issue of how close my ear is to to the hammer/action. That would make it more of a non-issue. I don’t want to scare off pests.

Also, the Sniper XR needs the moderator to be quiet, and I was hoping the Vulcan didn’t need one. If it does, that kind of kills the “compact” I was looking for.

AOA has 30 “no questions asked” return, which I always hate to use, but they’d get all my money back, so I wouldn’t feel too bad, lol. I wish they had a “rental” so I could try guns out before buying (like you can with firearms.)

They had both the RTI Prophet compact, Ghost and Sidewinder (preorder but had one on display)…..but maybe, like some have hinted at, I need to go much smaller altogether, like pistol size. I don’t think I want to spend $2500 for those, but it seems I’ve got limited options.

I think I can sacrifice modularity (barrel swaps) and definitely can sacrifice tuneability (some is good). But I can see this as a “set it and forget it” setup.

Here’s a question- with the pistol length (shorter barrels) what am I giving up? Just velocity? Accuracy to some extent I’m guessing? Ability to be accurate with a lighter gun? I always thought the shorter barrels were much less capable due to less fps (power)

Thanks again for the education and suggestions. I’m not asking to be spoonfed info, so if there’s resources I can research myself just point me in that direction.
I wonder why you haven’t looked at the Kalibrgun cricket 2 tactical .45 compact in .22 cal, in my opinion this particular rifle has all the features you’re looking for in a airgun. It is compact, extremely quiet, extremely accurate, super reliable and AOA carry them. Also check how affordable their oem mags are compared to others. In my personal opinion I consider this particular airguns the total package 😉. You only need to put a lightweight scope and they are so quite that maybe you won’t need to put a aftermarket moderator neither. I had a .60 in .22 cal in the past that’s why I’m recommending it. For the only reason I sold it was because I want to buy another one in the bigger .30 cal.

IMG_6682.jpeg

Last edited:
Alright - so I did pick up the Vulcan 3. It was LNIB (I don’t think it’d been shot) with all of the original accessories including original box. It seems to be mostly what I want, but man is it loud. This is the 500mm .22.

I think it may be because my ear is so close to the action. My Sniper XR is virtually silent in comparison. Not sure if it’s me, the gun, or what….? I need to have my son shoot them side by side so I can see if it’s more an issue of how close my ear is to to the hammer/action. That would make it more of a non-issue. I don’t want to scare off pests.

Also, the Sniper XR needs the moderator to be quiet, and I was hoping the Vulcan didn’t need one. If it does, that kind of kills the “compact” I was looking for.

AOA has 30 “no questions asked” return, which I always hate to use, but they’d get all my money back, so I wouldn’t feel too bad, lol. I wish they had a “rental” so I could try guns out before buying (like you can with firearms.)

They had both the RTI Prophet compact, Ghost and Sidewinder (preorder but had one on display)…..but maybe, like some have hinted at, I need to go much smaller altogether, like pistol size. I don’t think I want to spend $2500 for those, but it seems I’ve got limited options.

I think I can sacrifice modularity (barrel swaps) and definitely can sacrifice tuneability (some is good). But I can see this as a “set it and forget it” setup.

Here’s a question- with the pistol length (shorter barrels) what am I giving up? Just velocity? Accuracy to some extent I’m guessing? Ability to be accurate with a lighter gun? I always thought the shorter barrels were much less capable due to less fps (power)

Thanks again for the education and suggestions. I’m not asking to be spoonfed info, so if there’s resources I can research myself just point me in that direction.
As a general rule, the shorter the barrel, the louder the air rifle. Tune also plays into it though.

To the OP, you are lucky to live so close to AoA. How far away is Penchetta from you (Cave Creek)? They might be a good resource for you as well.

And no one has mentioned the AAA Evol mini in .22. AoA carries those. And I thought I saw a used one in the classified section the other day

But if you're after nighttime rats, and want it to be quiet, a .177 is probably your best option

Last edited:
To the OP, you are lucky to live so close to AoA. How far away is Penchetta from you (Cave Creek)? They might be a good resource for you as well.

And no one has mentioned the AAA Evol mini in .22. AoA carries those. And I thought I saw a used one in the classified section the other day

But if you're after nighttime rats, and want it to be quiet, a .177 is probably your best option
thanks! I didn’t know about Penchetta, they’re about 20 miles away, so totally doable. Looks like they carry some brands AOA doesn’t, so I’ll have to check them out.

I did see the Evol at AOA, I’m headed back in the next few days to take a closer look at a few others.

I did look at the Cricket. They had one in a carbon fiber stock that was really impressive. With the bullpup design I think it causes the shooter to hear “more” sound since you’ve basically got your ear on the hammer/valve.

Can someone confirm that barrel length is only going to affect sound? Seems like it would affect velocity even more so.

I’m taking a serious look at the Atomic and ideally the Pathfinder, which, seems to be exactly my Sniper XR but shorter…?

Reactions: L.Leon
I love my 3 P35s, made by Snowpeak and sold by Krale. Stoeger bullsharks are also made by Snowpeak and very similar and available in the U. S.. Both are under 30 inches long and regulated. The P35 has a 450mm barrel and the bullshark is 490mm. P35 weighs 5 lbs, the bullshark 6. Both come with plastic stocks but I know the P35 is a decent quality plastic stock and I suspect the bullshark is too. My P35 in 22 came shooting at about 32 fpe and gets at least 60 shots on a full 250 bar fill. It could be turned down and get more but it shoots so well I have not touched the regulator. It prefers H&N Baracuda Match pellets and has given me one 200 on the 30 yard challenge target. Most competing in this game are using more expensive guns like your Brocock. My other two P35s in 177 and 25 are tied at 194 right now. So all are pretty accurate. They are almost all metal guns, unlike my Avenger, and easy to maintain. Trigger can be easily adjusted to about a pound or even a bit under and is decent. Also easy to make them quiet. The rear nut for the shroud can be slid along the barrel to make space for a printed moderator which makes them nicely quiet. The picture is of my P35-25 in a home made stock with a target scope on it.

Another SPA gun that looks interesting and might fit your criteria is the M60b, available for Airgun Archery Fun. It's a bit bigger with a 610mm barrel. It has a much larger magazine and there is a gauge for the regulator and it is externally adjustable.

These are in a different price class, the Bullshark and P35 are sub $500 guns and the M60b can be that low without the bottle but with it is more like $700.

Retuned P35-25 in new stock.jpg

I bought a BRK Sniper XR in .22 about a year ago locally here from Airguns of AZ (lucky to have them so close.) It’s been great, zero issues. I’ve recently put a AGM Rattler thermal scope on it and been shooting rats. Next level fun.

At the time I bought it I knew very little about PCPs and didn’t really know what I wanted. Now I do.

I want a Ghost because that’s all I know. But it has all the “wants” I’d like to have. Can you give me advice on other guns I should be looking at? AOA, while fantastic, doesn’t carry many of the brands I see listed here and often praised.

Here’s my “wants” in order of importance.

1) Size. Must be a bullpup or smaller. Had I known how important a very compact package would be in my current endeavors I’d have bought a bullpup. This is my #1 requirement and my #1 regret with the XR. With the XR and moderator it’s very long. AOA guys talked me into the Sniper XR (and it was good advice at the time) but I wish I’d have know about the ghost at the time. They did well because I went to buy an Akela. If the XR were in a compact bullpup config I wouldn’t be posting.

2). Weight. With the thermal and sometimes a bipod the XR gets a bit heavy. Lighter the better, but I’ll make concessions here for other qualities. Needs to be able to be easily fired while standing, shoulder fired.

3) Power adjustments are important (possibly including barrel changes for length/fps). I would like to be able to change velocities being that Im shooting in my backyard. Sometimes the XR punches through a few more “things” than I wish it did. At the same time I want to shoot ring neck doves at the dairies, so I need the higher power as well.

4) Shot capacity. Not so critical, but 10 round magazines like the XR would be fine, doesn’t need to be semi. No single shot.

5) Shots per fill. More is better, but I have a tank from AOA and they’re only 7 miles away. Do prefer the look of the CF vs aluminum “on gun” tanks (not sure what they’re called?).

6) Available mods. So I have a lathe and milling machine and own dozens of firearms. I don’t think any of them are “stock.” So I was a bit disappointed to see how little the BRKs can be modified. It’s kind of what I do, I tinker, modify and play with my toys usually until they’re perfected or broken....both expensive directions.

Forgot to add that it needs to be quiet, very quiet. I have a moderator on my BRK and it’s insanely quiet, but without it, the neighbors may call. (I can legally shoot in my backyard according to city regs, I’ve checked.)

I’d appreciate any advice on pcps I may not know about that would fit this bill. I also really liked the RTI Prophet I looked at FWIW. What in the FX lineup would be comparable? AGT? Taipan?

Caliber would be .22. If I’ve forgotten something LMK.
Thanks!
I have an AirMaks Caiman in .25 that sounds like it would fit your list. Accurate, powerful, lightweight, compact.

CaimanX.png

Last edited:
Can someone confirm that barrel length is only going to affect sound? Seems like it would affect velocity even more so.

I have Taipan Veteran shorty, the barrel is only 14 inches and it’s one of the quietest guns made. Unfortunately, they don’t make them anymore. So I have to disagree about a shorter barrel being louder. But yes, you are going to get more velocity out of a longer barrel.