Alternatives to foot pounds of energy (fpe)

In the screen shot the second 2 = the rounded decimal place with the use of the round function in excel. ^2,2)

Here it is again, without that ",2"...showing the number unrounded to the 2nd decimal..matches your original just 2 orders of magnitude difference.

View attachment 497683

-Matt
Okay thay makes sense now, thank you!

Reactions: Stubbers
The only need for numbers is if you are shooting at the limitations of your rifle.

You can do all the calculations you want. If you miss the vitals or fail to anchor the animal it dosent really matter what your shooting. Calculate that.

If you want to hunt coyotes you need an appropriate weapon. An airgun isn't it. In some situations it may work but those situations are pretty limited. An air rifle can certainly kill a coyote but that does not mean it will be an effective weapon when hunting.

It's not a matter of "can it be done if things are perfect". It's a matter of "can it be done effectively even when things aren't perfect".

A .22 lr is not enough gun for a coyote. A .22 mag isn't enough gun either. They both have plenty of energy but they just aren't suited to the task.

Can you kill a coyote with an airgun? Sure! Is an air rifle an appropriate weapon to hunt coyote? No. And any coyote hunter will tell you that.

To effectively hunt coyote you need a flat shooting rifle that is accurate out to AT LEAST 200 yards and carries enough energy to pass through. You also need the capability of a quick follow up shot. Your choices for an appropriate hunting caliber start at .223 rem. Anything less than that and you simply do not have an effective weapon for the task.

Reactions: RWC123
The only need for numbers is if you are shooting at the limitations of your rifle.

You can do all the calculations you want. If you miss the vitals or fail to anchor the animal it dosent really matter what your shooting. Calculate that.

If you want to hunt coyotes you need an appropriate weapon. An airgun isn't it. In some situations it may work but those situations are pretty limited. An air rifle can certainly kill a coyote but that does not mean it will be an effective weapon when hunting.

It's not a matter of "can it be done if things are perfect". It's a matter of "can it be done effectively even when things aren't perfect".

A .22 lr is not enough gun for a coyote. A .22 mag isn't enough gun either. They both have plenty of energy but they just aren't suited to the task.

Can you kill a coyote with an airgun? Sure! Is an air rifle an appropriate weapon to hunt coyote? No. And any coyote hunter will tell you that.

To effectively hunt coyote you need a flat shooting rifle that is accurate out to AT LEAST 200 yards and carries enough energy to pass through. Your choices for an appropriate hunting caliber start at .223 rem. Anything less than that and you simply do not have an effective weapon for the task.

That's one take, that disagrees with someone else who disagrees with crunching numbers as they have taken medium game (which coyote fall under) with low powered air guns.

No sense running circles, plenty of air rifles are capable of dispatching Coyotes and even much larger, provided you crunch numbers. Some States even ALLOW hunting large game with airguns, provided you...use the right caliber with the right energy, probably because they, crunched numbers. :whistle:

-Matt

Interesting read so far .
I am old school . i know my gun and ammo , i know the wind . I know if the wind is from my right @ 10 to 15 i hold one dot or 1.5 dots to the right on my scope = dead squirrel . end of thinking about it .

1.5 dots at 50 yards or 100 yards or just your backyard at a specific distance? Clearly you don't oppose all number crunching as you dope for wind, so applying number crunching to other factors may not be valuable to you personally, it certainly can be to others.

The thread doesn't suggest the imposition of alternatives to FPE number crunching, it only gives means to approach said number crunching, which I think is cool. ✌️🎸😎

-Matt

That's one take, that disagrees with someone else who disagrees with crunching numbers as they have taken medium game (which coyote fall under) with low powered air guns.

No sense running circles, plenty of air rifles are capable of dispatching Coyotes and even much larger, provided you crunch numbers. Some States even ALLOW hunting large game with airguns, provided you...use the right caliber with the right energy, probably because they, crunched numbers. :whistle:

-Matt

And my point is that a calculation based on a minimum energy requirement does not constitute an effective weapon for the job.

There is a lot more to hunting than that. A lot more to killing than that.

Yes, airguns have the energy to kill a deer at short distances. They are legal to use in a bunch of states....

But there is more to the calculation.

A guy that wants to hunt with an air rifle needs to stay within his "calculations". That is what makes an air rifle unsuitable for hunting larger animals in most cases. You can't stay within your calculations. And you can't calculate fast enough.

Pesting a coyote jumping over your back fence or around the chicken coop is a valid use for air rifles and calculations. Hunting coyote is another ball of wax.

Shooting a deer from a stand at limited range an air rifle and calculations are all you need. Hunting deer in the desert mountains those calculations are worthless. And so is an air rifle. Legal or not.

For little animals at close range that present relatively stationary targets an airgun shines. It is an effective hunting weapon. In those situations the calculations mean something. You can stay well within them.

For larger animals that take in lots of territory an airgun is simply not an effective hunting weapon. The calculations prove that.

Many airgunners work in small areas and visualize a "hunting situation" much differently. In those controlled situations an air rifle may be a perfect "hunting rifle". But it is the situation that allows the rifle to be adequate. Not the virtues of the rifle.

Last edited:
Reactions: beerthief
1.5 dots at 50 yards or 100 yards or just your backyard at a specific distance? Clearly you don't oppose all number crunching as you dope for wind, so applying number crunching to other factors may not be valuable to you personally, it certainly can be to others.

The thread doesn't suggest the imposition of alternatives to FPE number crunching, it only gives means to approach said number crunching, which I think is cool. ✌️🎸😎

-Matt
your correct , it does not apply to me , but i still find it a interesting read .

Humorous little "mind movie "resulting from the above few posts .
A hunter is in Big horn sheep country , he spots one and range finds it to be 275 yards . The hunter quickly pulls out his Ipad and taps the yardage into his pad , the pad says to turn his turrets this way and that which the hunter does , the hunter then peers through his scope and finds the ram has moved so he ranges it to find another 20 yards to add to the calculation . and so the story goes .

this post is not meant to belittle any one or thing ,just what went through my head .
Stan in KY .

Last edited:
A hunter is in Big horn sheep country , he spots one and range finds it to be 275 yards . The hunter quickly pulls out his Ipad and taps the yardage into his pad , the pad says to turn his turrets this way and that which the hunter does , the hunter then peers through his scope and finds the ram has moved so he ranges it to find another 20 yards to add to the calculation . and so the story goes .

this post is not meant to belittle any one or thing ,just what went through my head .
Stan in KY .

This is why knowledge is power, so are dope cards and having things memorized based on prior research, such as we're trying to do here.

Based on your above statements, the use of any ballistic program is not fruitful to you, but yet, many, many hunters do use them or dope cards they have prior to engagement.

-Matt

And my point is that a calculation based on a minimum energy requirement does not constitute an effective weapon for the job.

There is a lot more to hunting than that. A lot more to killing than that.

Yes, airguns have the energy to kill a deer at short distances. They are legal to use in a bunch of states....

But there is more to the calculation.

A guy that wants to hunt with an air rifle needs to stay within his "calculations". That is what makes an air rifle unsuitable for hunting larger animals in most cases. You can't stay within your calculations. And you can't calculate fast enough.

Pesting a coyote jumping over your back fence or around the chicken coop is a valid use for air rifles and calculations. Hunting coyote is another ball of wax.

Shooting a deer from a stand at limited range an air rifle and calculations are all you need. Hunting deer in the desert mountains those calculations are worthless. And so is an air rifle. Legal or not.

For little animals at close range that present relatively stationary targets an airgun shines. It is an effective hunting weapon. In those situations the calculations mean something. You can stay well within them.

For larger animals that take in lots of territory an airgun is simply not an effective hunting weapon. The calculations prove that.

Many airgunners work in small areas and visualize a "hunting situation" much differently. In those controlled situations an air rifle may be a perfect "hunting rifle". But it is the situation that allows the rifle to be adequate. Not the virtues of the rifle.

Running such calculations, or simulations, gives one the knowledge to understand their airguns limitations, from range, to size of game they can and cannot dispatch.

"Who needs any rifle scope, I'm old school and use iron sights." -The old school hunter

"Who needs rifles, I have bow and arrow." -Some Native Americans.

"Who needs to weigh their ammo loads, I don't need no stinkin' scale!" -Some guy.

And the list goes on.

-Matt

Last edited:
Running such calculations, or simulations, gives one the knowledge to understand their airguns limitations, from range, to size of game they can and cannot dispatch.

Who needs any rifle scope, I'm old school and use iron sights. -The old school hunter

Who needs rifles, I have bow and arrow. -Some Native Americans.

Who needs to weigh their ammo loads, I don't need to stinkin' scale! -Some guy.

And the list goes on.

-Matt

If your calculations help you to understand how effective an airgun will be at dispatching various critters then your path is a worthy one.

My calculations show that any calculation is unnecessary if you divide by 30-'06. And unneeded with an air rifle if you stick to little stuff within reason.

I do see where analyzing the data is useful. Especially with the limitations of an air rifle. A lot of guys wonder how large an animal can they take down with their air rifle. And I suppose for some the data can be useful, satisfying and meaningful.

So carry on with your equations. When you total it all up divide by the square root of "not much bigger than a fat raccoon" and you have found the realistic hunting limitations of most air rifles.

Last edited:
If your calculations help you to understand how effective an airgun will be at dispatching various critters then your path is a worthy one.

My calculations show that any calculation is unnecessary if you divide by 30-'06. And unneeded with an air rifle if you stick to little stuff within reason.

I do see where analyzing the data is useful. Especially with the limitations of an air rifle. A lot of guys wonder how large an animal can they take down with their air rifle. And I suppose for some the data can be satisfying and meaningful.

So carry on with your equations. When you total it all up divide by the square root of "not much bigger than a fat raccoon" and you have found the realistic hunting limitations of most air rifles.

As some say, to each their own. I hold nothing against you for your resolve with dispatching prey. I personally praise great mathematicians / ballisticians that, in the last century, and even recent decades have opened up many new doors for hunters due to their ability to formulate and calculate various data that many avid hunters find advantageous, which in part have also helped create legislation that enables pneumatic rifles to take part in hunting larger game than previously allowed.

I don't think OP's stance, and I know mine, isn't one to enforce these calculations, merely suggestive for inquisitive minds.

-Matt

I don't think the numbers are meant to decide which rifle to use for a hunt. For me it is a tool to understand what is happening with the projectiles and why one is better suited for a certain job than the other. Common sense and experience tells the same story in another way. One does not replace the other. For many years people used arms of any kind to hunt without being able to do calculations. Today we use calculations to understand better what those people knew and to make it more interesting. I for one hunted many years without even having a range finder, but today I use a range finder, ballistic app and whatever modern aids that can help me fine-tuning and doing a better job.

Stan in KY .
Your mind movie is a guy with an airgun over 100 yards if he wants a one shot kill, not a hit. I have been in this situation with my best guns. Sometimes it gets to the point when an animal just won’t stop moving that I just say F it and give up. Horrible trajectory even with enough FPE for the numbers guy is the nightmare that is an airgun. With horrible trajectory comes great responsibility.

...But then how do you compare larger diameter potentially heavier airgun rounds to smaller diameter potentially lighter PB rounds that are moving at much higher velocity. FPE can be used but many feel it puts too much emphasis on velocity. The velocity is squared in the formula....

Many archery hunters have shifted to calculating momentum instead of kinetic energy (momentum is measured in "slugs" as the unit). Instead of squaring the velocity, momentum is a simpler formula of p=mv and puts less emphasis on the velocity.