Brocock/BRK American Air Arms EVOL Mini .22 vs Brocock and other compacts questions

The Kalibergun cricket mini carbine .22 is a fine rifle. I don't own, but I did get a chance to shoot one for the day. A mix of offhand and tripod shooting. Not too heavy or long, easy to shoulder and carry. Loading the magazine into the rifle is different from what I've used, I had to fiddle with it the first two times but got the hang of it, I was impressed.

I purchased the Plinkers Package in .22, it is an excellent deal. The Atomic and Ranger platforms are best in .22 and .177, underpowered and lower shot count in .25. Reach out to @rangur1 he used to own one in .25
Hm yeah, the Plinkers Package are only available in .25 atm. The specs listed claim similar numbers for .22 or .25. I don't mind it being underpowered as the .22's specs are fine for my current needs, so considering that, and that I can adjust down power to gain more shots I figured it wouldn't be too bad. But will definetly call AoA and ask, the .22 is on "pre-order" and who knows, maybe it can arrive much faster than I expect.

The Kalibergun cricket mini carbine .22 is a fine rifle. I don't own, but I did get a chance to shoot one for the day. A mix of offhand and tripod shooting. Not too heavy or long, easy to shoulder and carry. Loading the magazine into the rifle is different from what I've used, I had to fiddle with it the first two times but got the hang of it, I was impressed.
I already have a long Cricket or I would be interested in thier new stuff. Kalibrgun has come a long way from when I first did business with them!

BTW...
Where is everyone's choice place to buy FX or AGT? It seems AoA doesn't carry them anymore? (if i remember right)
How's TalonTunes for customer service, etc? They've been around forever and inspired some of my Airforce builds back in the day, when the forums were still hopping.

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
I've never heard anything but praise for any agt guns. Seem to have very good build quality and excellent performance. The vixen is very appealing for size and integrated moderator. Also seems they would have a very good shot count. Not quite as much power as I would want for a hunting rifle. But very close. And certainly adequate for probably up to 50 yards. Considering the guys in UK have to use 12fpe for everything... I'm clearly being spoiled since they do mid or high 20s fpe in 22 cal

How do people feel about the AGT Vixen? That and a Panthera Hunter are still on my mind

Vixen- love the look, left hand cocking lever perfect for offhand shooting with the option to change to right hand if I'm sitting down or prone. (my preferred ways of setup) Plus the price brand new with a few accessories is very comparable.

Panthera Hunter/Dreamline Compact- The ability to swap out to a long barrel and higher caliber with ease is great, for the times I am not shooting in the yard I can bring this along with other guns. For some reason buying a new FX really doesn't appeal to me like crazy though, would love to find a used one that can work nicely with a slugs setup too.

This would all be well beyond the Atomic package and Vixen's price range though...A few people keep mentioning the cocking system on the Evol being too hard and I've had similar experiences with other guns but, again, I'd love to find one used to try that out for myself before making a commitment to an extra $1k. It's possible it just comes down to the shooter on that one.
Vixen has amazing trigger. It’s my favourite gun to shoot but also my most annoying. Nice balance, decent power, good Shot count, great build

BUT!!

Has a horrrible horrible hammer ping and overall it’s loud for no reason with no easy mod thread. I had mine custom cf shrouded which took 2 months and even modded up and quieted down the hammer noise is still quite annoying. I also had to change up the shoulder stock solution to fit me better.

I dislike the lack of adjustability but it shoots a respectable 21fpe and accurate with most pellets and even slugs.

It’s the gun that I always think about selling but also never want to sell. Also looks great
E8018FEC-6E56-4B96-A634-DDD8737289DE.jpeg

Overall if noise isn’t a concern and you’re ok with a bottle stock and never want to tune, then it’s perfect

Vixen has amazing trigger. It’s my favourite gun to shoot but also my most annoying. Nice balance, decent power, good Shot count, great build

BUT!!

Has a horrrible horrible hammer ping and overall it’s loud for no reason with no easy mod thread. I had mine custom cf shrouded which took 2 months and even modded up and quieted down the hammer noise is still quite annoying. I also had to change up the shoulder stock solution to fit me better.

I dislike the lack of adjustability but it shoots a respectable 21fpe and accurate with most pellets and even slugs.

It’s the gun that I always think about selling but also never want to sell. Also looks great View attachment 392520

Overall if noise isn’t a concern and you’re ok with a bottle stock and never want to tune, then it’s perfect
Wow some great information for me there. thanks!

I figured that factory shroud would be pretty quiet (and some reviews say it is) due to its unique style, maybe its better in the long version.(I only wanted the compact one)

Do you know if anywhere offers a hammer de-pinger? That should remove pretty much any sound coming from the gun other than the pellet connecting with a target, I always put them in my guns.

Good to know they can handle slugs too, I never had a chance to try them in lower calibers. I normally love the idea of an external power adjuster but I feel this is one gun I'd be okay without, due to the shot count it already comes out the box with I'd be fine with that.

I've got a line on a couple used, will definitely see what I can come up with and then could possibly grab an Atomic as well

Thanks again

Hey guys, figured I'd give you all an update.

Like I wanted from the start, the Evol Mini was just out of my price range for now. I still am in love with this gun and Dana's (MountainSport Airguns) survival challenge videos is basically the main factor for my choices...

The Atomic did pretty well and an awesome little gun in general...fitting my needs for backyard plinking and occasional pesting (with easy power adjustments) So for now, I decided to go with one in .22... really thankful for Tristan over at Atlas Airguns, the only person who had 1 left in stock. He was even able to get it out to a passing UPS driver's truck for within the hour processing and shipping! Amazing transaction, will be dealing with him again for sure.

I have a compressor coming in this week which will let me shoot some guns I've had in a safe for over a year and by Wednesday the Atomic and all the accessories (new compact scope, bipod, moderator, etc) should arrive and I'll update you guys with some pics...

The Evol platform with the updated version in .223 cal are coming out hopefully soon...I love the Paradigm too. They by far seem like the best choice for me in a long range setup, just this time I will have to save up and the Brocock was more readily available to me funds wise. Maybe one day I'll even grab an Evol Mini too.

Thanks everyone for reading my random "whatever-comes-to-mind" style posts nd for helping me decide!

(I'm still going to be keeping an eye out for a Lelya as well, in my eyes, they're just too cool to pass up)

Still toying with the Idea on an another compact air rifle. I like the .25s, but they seem to be underpowered overall, so it looks like I'll be looking at a .22 fi I decide to pull the trigger. I'm leaning towards another Brocock simply because I really like the TP adjustment knob on these rifles. If @BRK/Brocock releases the necessary parts list needed to do perform general maintenance it may very well be a BRK Pathfinder or Atomic. If not I may be looking at an AAA Mini Evol to a Compact Uragan .22.

Still toying with the Idea on an another compact air rifle. I like the .25s, but they seem to be underpowered overall, so it looks like I'll be looking at a .22 fi I decide to pull the trigger. I'm leaning towards another Brocock simply because I really like the TP adjustment knob on these rifles. If @BRK/Brocock releases the necessary parts list needed to do perform general maintenance it may very well be a BRK Pathfinder or Atomic. If not I may be looking at an AAA Mini Evol to a Compact Uragan .22.
Funny you just wrote this just now man, I am in the same boat.

Since the Brocock Atomic XR/Ranger XR has every base covered for compact/lower power/tactical style rifle categories, I'm thinking about another .22, but one that can shoot (lightweight) slugs decently, while still having capability of adjustable power and to use pellets as well. The compact bullpup styles have me intrigued.

I was looking at the compact Uragan 2 as well and I've also been interested in the Krait.
It has all the features of the newest guns; externally adjustable valve, regulator, hammer tension while being able to adjust cheekpiece, buttpad, ambidextrous cocking, uses AR15 grips, plus a 20MOA rail, and anti double load feature.

With a 400mm CZ barrel it should be enough to shoot lightweight slugs (maybe NSA 20.2grain or 17.5grain) if apparently the Panthera Hunter Compact can with a 300mm barrel, and I know my Leshiy Classic/L2 with 350mm barrel, or even my Huben GK1 with a 210mm barrel loved .223 Varmint Knockers slugs.

I know the compact Uragan, Krait, and Brococks all shoot pellets great, but I love having the option of both ammo types.

The Evol Mini 22 has always been on my list but waiting to see what all the choices are after the new HPS lineup is out, I also have been looking at the Western Airguns Sidewinder Compact since the moment I saw it debuted. US made with a TJ barrel, great slugs or pellets, externally adjustable power+regulator, foster fitting, and the hammerless magazine fed semi auto system I have come to enjoy lately. I'm hoping to find a nice used one to try.

But for now... I've been thinking about these 3 or 4 guns lately as I have nothing in .22 caliber with the "newest features/tech" that can shoot both types of ammo decently. I have .25cal covered for everything and I have a .22 dead silent and laser accurate pellet shooter covered with the Colibri.

Last edited:
@Sound Tribe The Leshiys are out for me. I don't like the folding design. The idea of folding a gun to load it is a deal breaker for me. The Western Sidewinder compact is also a no go for me. Regular sized Sidewinder, maybe. I don't know anything about Airmaks airguns. The features you've listed seem decent. I may take a look at the Krait's specs and some videos. Thanks for mentioning it.

Reactions: Sound Tribe
Hey guys, figured I'd give you all an update.

Like I wanted from the start, the Evol Mini was just out of my price range for now. I still am in love with this gun and Dana's (MountainSport Airguns) survival challenge videos is basically the main factor for my choices...

The Atomic did pretty well and an awesome little gun in general...fitting my needs for backyard plinking and occasional pesting (with easy power adjustments) So for now, I decided to go with one in .22... really thankful for Tristan over at Atlas Airguns, the only person who had 1 left in stock. He was even able to get it out to a passing UPS driver's truck for within the hour processing and shipping! Amazing transaction, will be dealing with him again for sure.

I have a compressor coming in this week which will let me shoot some guns I've had in a safe for over a year and by Wednesday the Atomic and all the accessories (new compact scope, bipod, moderator, etc) should arrive and I'll update you guys with some pics...

The Evol platform with the updated version in .223 cal are coming out hopefully soon...I love the Paradigm too. They by far seem like the best choice for me in a long range setup, just this time I will have to save up and the Brocock was more readily available to me funds wise. Maybe one day I'll even grab an Evol Mini too.

Thanks everyone for reading my random "whatever-comes-to-mind" style posts nd for helping me decide!

(I'm still going to be keeping an eye out for a Lelya as well, in my eyes, they're just too cool to pass up)
This is great to hear. I sold my atomic 22 and regret, so i bought another one in 25. Can’t find one in 22 so I bought a Niksan tacto-s

Reactions: L.Leon