Brocock/BRK American Air Arms EVOL Mini .22 vs Brocock and other compacts questions

I dont own a mini evol or atomic, but I do own an evol 15" that is phenomenal. The atomic looks like a great choice, here's a few others
-RAW micro hunter
-pathfinder as mentioned
-umarex notos(I own one)
-airmaks katran compact (i own) or the even smaller katran pistol carbine

I know there's been alot of praise for the fx panthera compact hunter, but I just can't reccomend an fx.
20230924_135236_copy_756x1008.jpg

The only pcp's I've owned that havn't leaked are ones I havn't owned or wrenched on long enough. Either you are very lucky or you don't do much tinkering. Just my $.02
I buy my rifles already setup to my specs most of the time. I do not tinker and said I've "heard" the evols are easy to work on because I have no experience with that, but it seems to be a selling point for most.

I will have my 1st go at taking apart the evol mini soon. I need to order some orings and Ultimox 226 since i just found it empty the other day.

Several variables. Valve dwell is a big one. Hammer bounce can make a gun louder as well. However, in rare instances I believe it can also somehow make a gun quieter. I have an old brocock grand prix that is far too quiet. (Some of these were sold under the atomic name as well) Only reason I can figure is that hammer bounce is somehow making it quieter. I tuned it and put a stiffer/shorter spring in it to try and eliminate bounce. I did reduce it but I can still hear the faintest bit of it. I reckon the pressure impulses are interacting with eachother in such a way that they somehow reduce the overall signature.

View attachment 392140

Generally speaking, a longer barrel should be quieter. A quick actuating Valve utilizing higher pressure should be quieter versus slower actuation, lower pressure/higher volume. Ideally no Valve bounce. Some of these things you can dial in. Some guns have limiting factors.

Moderator volume and design will also play a role. As well as shroud design (if there is one)
Wow that's a beautiful piece of wood there, reminds me of a custom DaveG setup I had once long ago. I remember those little Grand Prix...Thanks for the info on the sound, I've heard mixed things but yeah it seems like it's more based on these other factors than JUST the barrel's length.

Let me know if you'd ever decide to part with that piece!

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
How does everyone feel about the Edgun Lelya 2.0 and even the Leshiy?

I used to own an Edgun Matador R3M when they first were available for pre-order, I can't ever knock the amazing craftsmanship put into those guns but the new (at the time) magazine didn't cycle that well so I sold it.

And to be honest I've been drooling over the Lelya 2.0 since last night and even some of the Leshiy setups that can resemble a suppressed SBR. Really making me consider changing my ideas and to go that route if I can land a good deal on a used one.
Does anyone have experience with the long range accuracy of the Lelya? I know it's basically a shortened Matador which lets me know it should be nothing short of amazing, the action look flawless this too.

It seems a lot of the Leshiy 2 are for sale though, probably due to people expecting a high shot count backyard plinker, but I know to expect more than that...just curious if anyone has found any shortcomings in either platform

Wow that's a beautiful piece of wood there, reminds me of a custom DaveG setup I had once long ago. I remember those little Grand Prix...Thanks for the info on the sound, I've heard mixed things but yeah it seems like it's more based on these other factors than JUST the barrel's length.

Let me know if you'd ever decide to part with that piece!
Thanks. The story goes that a thief stole the original stock from my storage. I made some calculated guestimations that the newer style stocks would fit my gun. Confirmed these with Gary Cane who still had the schematics, and was willing to make one for me (with proper compensation, of course). So, that's what you see.

Don't get me wrong, barrel length is a substantial factor, but there can be many others. Most importaint is volume. Volume of air charge (higher pressure is generally lower volume), volume of expansion area (barrel, shroud, moderator), and effective use of said volume (tune, shroud design, baffle design)

I've long wanted to get my hands on both of the edguns you mentioned. But have never been able to justify the purchase. My genral understanding is that both are a bit on the noisy side? Also, both do not have the best triggers. Surely acceptable, or workable. But I do believe a leshiy in .20 caliber would be an outstanding pack gun. Folds down super small. Would have very respectable performance. Main concerns would be stability due to light weight, and also not the best trigger? But again this is all based on information I've gathered second hand. Not first hand. The leshiy 2 I have not done much reading up on due to my general dis-interest in semi auto guns. I do feel a huben would be a far superior hunting rifle in comparison, however.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sound Tribe
Thanks. The story goes that a thief stole the original stock from my storage. I made some calculated guestimations that the newer style stocks would fit my gun. Confirmed these with Gary Cane who still had the schematics, and was willing to make one for me (with proper compensation, of course). So, that's what you see.

Don't get me wrong, barrel length is a substantial factor, but there can be many others. Most importaint is volume. Volume of air charge (higher pressure is generally lower volume), volume of expansion area (barrel, shroud, moderator), and effective use of said volume (tune, shroud design, baffle design)

I've long wanted to get my hands on both of the edguns you mentioned. But have never been able to justify the purchase. My genral understanding is that both are a bit on the noisy side? Also, both do not have the best triggers. Surely acceptable, or workable. But I do believe a leshiy in .20 caliber would be an outstanding pack gun. Folds down super small. Would have very respectable performance. Main concerns would be stability due to light weight, and also not the best trigger? But again this is all based on information I've gathered second hand. Not first hand. The leshiy 2 I have not done much reading up on due to my general dis-interest in semi auto guns. I do feel a huben would be a far superior hunting rifle in comparison, however.
Yeah Gary Cane has some amazing stuff I've always loved high end wood stocks

The Edguns always have shot a little hot, even my matador in .25 was at least twice as loud as my .25 cricket but they came out with an amazing QD silencer system that looks to be pretty effective that look amazing when paired with the correct rail system.
1695844772425.jpeg

I've had a R5M Standard in .22 which was fantastic. I really regret selling that one. The Lelya 2.0 isn't really meant for long range, more just off hand shooting. The Leshiy is fun but harder to shoot accurately at distance just being so light weight. No idea on L2 as I havent owned one. Seems harder to get accurate as it shoots through the mag.

Yeah the Atomic seems like a great little gun, I just skipped over it purely due to the smaller 50cc cylinder. It seems to be the same as the Ranger XR just with less shots per fill?

Any particular reason to prefer an Atomic over the Pathfinder? I personally am not a huge fan of front end bottle guns so the Ranger XR seems to be the sweet spot in the middle for me.
The choice of the gun comes down to what specific use you have for it? I chose the Atomic because I wanted a lightweight gun that I could carry for hours without wearing me out walking in the woods and barns at the dairy. It’s physically about the same size as the Evol mini but a full pound lighter. That may not seem like a big deal but it was a top priority for me.

The power output is likely less than the Evol but it’s a plus for me because I wanted a barn gun that I could shoot at about 700 fps so I wouldn’t punch holes in the barn roof in a rare instance of a miss. Ease of tuning adjustability goes to the Atomic as NO disassembly is required to tune the reg or HS. The Atomic shoots inexpensive CPHPs really well which many other guns just don’t. With a Donny Tanto the report of the Atomic is nearly silent. Ease of cocking is stupid easy on the Atomic and I have read reports that the Evol has a considerably higher cocking effort. Yes AAA are addressing this complaint. The trigger on the Atomic is pretty darn nice too.

When tuned for Hades @700 fps I can get 33 shots. When tuned for CPHPs @700 fps I can get 40 shots from the tiny air tube. Yes, 700 fps is plenty of power for pigeons, squirrels or rabbits.

The choice of the gun comes down to what specific use you have for it? I chose the Atomic because I wanted a lightweight gun that I could carry for hours without wearing me out walking in the woods and barns at the dairy. It’s physically about the same size as the Evol mini but a full pound lighter. That may not seem like a big deal but it was a top priority for me.

The power output is likely less than the Evol but it’s a plus for me because I wanted a barn gun that I could shoot at about 700 fps so I wouldn’t punch holes in the barn roof in a rare instance of a miss. Ease of tuning adjustability goes to the Atomic as NO disassembly is required to tune the reg or HS. The Atomic shoots inexpensive CPHPs really well which many other guns just don’t. With a Donny Tanto the report of the Atomic is nearly silent. Ease of cocking is stupid easy on the Atomic and I have read reports that the Evol has a considerably higher cocking effort. Yes AAA are addressing this complaint. The trigger on the Atomic is pretty darn nice too.

When tuned for Hades @700 fps I can get 33 shots. When tuned for CPHPs @700 fps I can get 40 shots from the tiny air tube. Yes, 700 fps is plenty of power for pigeons, squirrels or rabbits.
Yeah pretty much your usage needs are similar to mine. Just wanted something quiet, reliable, able to carry around/offhand shoot, but still capable to reach out a little farther if I feel like it.

I've pretty much set my mind on finding a Lelya, mainly for the looks/fun factor, but I'm talking to the guy with the BRK Ranger on classifieds and probably making a deal there, it checks all the boxes for me for now while I keep searching on other stuff.

I keep getting talked out of the Leshiy, it seems semi-autos in general still aren't as polished as bolt actions.
I think I'll be happy with a BRK, I just would prefer a left side cocking lever/changeable one personally, maybe it's just me, but seems a bit more seemless than removing my trigger hand every time. Do most people prefer left or right hand cocking systems? (as a righthanded shooter)

@Sound Tribe The Lelya 2.0 is not a long range-gun as stated by @Dairyboy. The idea of buying a compact short barrel in and trying to shoot long-range is strange to me. The Lelya .2.0 is my number one squirrel gun in .25 caliber. I’ve hunted with the .22 Huben semi-auto as well and the Lelya just hands down handles better walking through the timber. The Huben is heavy as hell in comparison. 1st time out with it without a sling and I came home with a sore forearm. I didn’t even go too deep into the woods. Carrying it behind a short period of time a task. With the Lelya I’ve walked with it for hours literally, no problem. I’ve taken squirrel, rabbit, crow, and raccoon with it. It’s definitely a keeper. It is very comfortable to shoot offhand. I’ve shot some FX Hybrid slugs with it and tried shooting it 100 yards. It sucked at 100 yards with me behind it. Even at 60 yards leaned against a tree my groups look like a shotgun pattern. At 45 yards and under she’s a killer. I’ve taken her out to 50, but my comfort zone is 45 yards and under. There’s really no need for slugs with this gun and I’ve found that she likes regular 25 grain JSB King Diabolo pellets and shoots them very well. I can’t speak for others, but my Lelya 2.0 is not loud.Also consider that I don’t live in a densely packed residential neighborhood where decibel levels are a concern. I use the fact that when I shoot it non-target animals don’t tend to run at the sound of the shot as my metric. Older squirrels hear that *ping* and they know what it is. I bought an additional moderator that’s supposed to be quieter than the stock one, but I haven’t found the need to use it (if anyone reading this feels inclined to PM me in attempt to buy said moderator, it’s not for sale).

As for your questions on the Evol vs Brocock - either gun is a good air rifle. I have both in their regular rifle configurations. I’ve had to perform maintenance on both. My Brocock had a regulator issue that I remedied by simply replacing the reg. The Evol finally leaked after a while sitting up unused and I have a shoulder bolt that likes to back its way out from time to time. I guess that somewhat tough cocking lever grabs on it and backs it out over time. I’ve also had to replace the gauges. Since I purchased them I have learned that both shoot beyond my expectations. Based on the gun alone, I favor the Brocock a little more. Both have satisfactory build qualities. The Evol is built more rugged. If we factor in customer supprt and access to parts, then American Air Arms is better in my experience. AAA has superior customer support in my and they have an online presence with a cadre of loyal owners that don’t mind sharing tips to help you learn and maintain your gun. I shoot my Brocock Bantam Sniper HR more because I’ve had it longer, it’s cheaper to shoot (in .25 vs the Evol .30), and I’ve gotten comfortable with it. I like the ability to adjust the transfer port on the fly to dial down my velocity levels without having to bother the hammer spring or regulator, that’s a big plus on a Brocock. @igolfat8 summed up the convenience factor of “tuning” the Atomic rather nicely with similar points. To his point, I too have used a Tanto to quiet my Brocock. It works very well.

Good luck on getting timely responses from Brocock staff should you ever need it. I bought mine from AOA and their staff was much more prompt and accessible in responding to my questions than the folks over in England. And then if you need parts….that was an entirely different rodeo. Good guns, not so great customer support from the manufacturer. AAA damn good guns, great customer support and parts availability. EDgun - great guns, questionable customer support. My Lelya hasn’t had any major issues and I keep spare parts just in case. All guns discussed were purchased used. Hope this helps some.

Last edited:
I have both lefthand and righthand side lever rifles and both work fine. When I am hunting I wear a tiny backpack to carry a small bottle of air to refill my rifle. I have a single point sling strap and carabiner snap that I carry the Atomic with. Its easy to cock it with my left hand. Its rare that you need to rapid fire when hunting so its easy to cock with either hand.

I am not sure if you have watched Steve's AEAC video on the Atomic but it is an excellent video on tuning that rifle. He said, no matter what ammo you choose, tune it to around 700 for optimum accuracy and he was spot on!

Reactions: Sound Tribe
@Sound Tribe The Lelya 2.0 is not a long range-gun as stated by @Dairyboy. The idea of buying a compact short barrel in and trying to shoot long-range is strange to me. The Lelya .2.0 is my number one squirrel gun in .25 caliber. I’ve hunted with the .22 Huben semi-auto as well and the Lelya just hands down handles better walking through the timber. The Huben is heavy as hell in comparison. 1st time out with it without a sling and I came home with a sore forearm. I didn’t even go too deep into the woods. Carrying it behind a short period of time a task. With the Lelya I’ve walked with it for hours literally, no problem. I’ve taken squirrel, rabbit, crow, and raccoon with it. It’s definitely a keeper. It is very comfortable to shoot offhand. I’ve shot some FX Hybrid slugs with it and tried shooting it 100 yards. It sucked at 100 yards with me behind it. Even at 60 yards leaned against a tree my groups look like a shotgun pattern. At 45 yards and under she’s a killer. I’ve taken her out to 50, but my comfort zone is 45 yards and under. There’s really no need for slugs with this gun and I’ve found that she likes regular 25 grain JSB King Diabolo pellets and shoots them very well. I can’t speak for others, but my Lelya 2.0 is not loud.Also consider that I don’t live in a densely packed residential neighborhood where decibel levels are a concern. I use the fact that when I shoot it non-target animals don’t tend to run at the sound of the shot as my metric. Older squirrels hear that *ping* and they know what it is. I bought an additional moderator that’s supposed to be quieter than the stock one, but I haven’t found the need to use it (if anyone reading this feels inclined to PM me in attempt to buy said moderator, it’s not for sale).

As for your questions on the Evol vs Brocock - either gun is a good air rifle. I have both in their regular rifle configurations. I’ve had to perform maintenance on both. My Brocock had a regulator issue that I remedied by simply replacing the reg. The Evol finally leaked after a while sitting up unused and I have a shoulder bolt that likes to back its way out from time to time. I guess that somewhat tough cocking lever grabs on it and backs it out over time. I’ve also had to replace the gauges. Since I purchased them I have learned that both shoot beyond my expectations. Based on the gun alone, I favor the Brocock a little more. Both have satisfactory build qualities. The Evol is built more rugged. If we factor in customer supprt and access to parts, then American Air Arms is better in my experience. AAA has superior customer support in my and they have an online presence with a cadre of loyal owners that don’t mind sharing tips to help you learn and maintain your gun. I shoot my Brocock Bantam Sniper HR more because I’ve had it longer, it’s cheaper to shoot (in .25 vs the Evol .30), and I’ve gotten comfortable with it. I like the ability to adjust the transfer port on the fly to dial down my velocity levels without having to bother the hammer spring or regulator, that’s a big plus on a Brocock. @igolfat8 summed up the convenience factor of “tuning” the Atomic rather nicely with similar points. To his point, I too have used a Tanto to quiet my Brocock. It works very well.

Good luck on getting timely responses from Brocock staff should you ever need it. I bought mine from AOA and their staff was much more prompt and accessible in responding to my questions than the folks over in England. And then if you need parts….that was an entirely different rodeo. Good guns, not so great customer support from the manufacturer. AAA damn good guns, great customer support and parts availability. EDgun - great guns, questionable customer support. My Lelya hasn’t had any major issues and I keep spare parts just in case. All guns discussed were purchased used. Hope this helps some.
Yep, that's why I said the Lelya for me would just be for the cool factor! I love the looks and the offhand shooting ability.

But for the original question, it was more based on a compact that will be for backyard use (no farther than 30y mainly)
I was referring to the fact that these others can do that yet still can be active little hunters at bit farther ranges as well :)

Last edited:
Cocking lever I go either way. A heavier rifle when pesting or hunting definitely right as a right handed shooter. Now a light weight gun I'll take left side. My Notos is left side and I regularly get 3-5 pigeons in about 10-15secs with it. It's my off hand shooter with a red dot so super handy also tuned to 700fps with CPHPs.

It's funny, everyone keeps mentioning the Atomic and last night I found a pretty decent package deal on AOA I couldn't keep my eyes off.
The Atomic XR, a decent Athlon Scope with rings, 0db Moderator, and a nice range bag all for 1499$ which gets me the 3 year warranty and AOAs awesome customer service as well. Buying the gun alone new is the same exact price, so why not get the freebies? If I did go used right now for a Ranger XR (which is basically the same) and a few other longer models on Ebay etc it'll set me back at least $1k+ for just the gun alone.

Really been leaning towards the AOA sale...only thing is no .22s left, only .25. I have more .25 pellets and honestly prefer a bigger caliber if I can get away with it. Any ideas on these compacts being in .25? The Atomic seems to have similar shot count as the .22, but like stated before the power adjuster saves me there...can shoot at 12ft lbs all day long, and turn it up when pesting. That option available with just the turn of a knob is a huge plus for me as well

Last edited:
How do people feel about the AGT Vixen? That and a Panthera Hunter are still on my mind

Vixen- love the look, left hand cocking lever perfect for offhand shooting with the option to change to right hand if I'm sitting down or prone. (my preferred ways of setup) Plus the price brand new with a few accessories is very comparable.

Panthera Hunter/Dreamline Compact- The ability to swap out to a long barrel and higher caliber with ease is great, for the times I am not shooting in the yard I can bring this along with other guns. For some reason buying a new FX really doesn't appeal to me like crazy though, would love to find a used one that can work nicely with a slugs setup too.

This would all be well beyond the Atomic package and Vixen's price range though...A few people keep mentioning the cocking system on the Evol being too hard and I've had similar experiences with other guns but, again, I'd love to find one used to try that out for myself before making a commitment to an extra $1k. It's possible it just comes down to the shooter on that one.