An ERA has ended .... death of my last Optisan Viper 4-16x50

As many who play Hunter Field target, the Optisan Vipers are for those fortunate enough to have or had them, there for many the gold standard in a mid cost optic that ranged very well at 12 or 16x having a killer christmas tree SCB reticle.

Well :( This past weekend my last of 3 in rotation has died after a solid 10 years of hard FT use. At closer ranges you really see it ( That of the reticle shifting position ) as you rotate parrilax wheel one direction then the other. It cost me a championship possible win this past weekend as the reticle would shift to the WRONG position anytime when at 10-13 yards and could not get it to shift into proper alignment consistently while close, yet at further distances if keeping rotation on final parrilax read one way, all shots went where aimed.
* Looking back at the weekend, could attribute a good 9 or 10 shots up close that were IMO very doable, but were always missed going 2 O'clock outside KZ every time :mad:

So for all these years never had found, used or kept around any scopes tried as a replacement for the Viper's ... Until this past weekend :unsure: having been watching and viewing some of the Athlon HERAS models this past couple seasons ... The Newest FT specific model the HERAS 6-24x56 SPR in SFP configuration ( Illuminated as well ) got the nod as a replacement :rolleyes: We'll set it up as we had previous, get a Nautilus wheel fitted and give it a go.

Even with broken equipment he walked away with 2 medals in the rifle competition. I think that scope worked out just fine (for ME! lol).
Chris, You have been shooting fantastic and you earned that win 110% !!! We show up with our A-game and gear in Tip top shape, falter at either then the door to get bested is wide open ! Great job my Friend :p

Reactions: cavedweller
Chris, You have been shooting fantastic and you earned that win 110% !!! We show up with our A-game and gear in Tip top shape, falter at either then the door to get bested is wide open ! Great job my Friend :p
Thank you Scott. You're a great mentor and always the guy to chase. Had a lot of fun.

You're a pretty handy fellow, so you may look into re-fitting a spring into that old scope. I saw a video on YouTube with a guy who rebuilt his erector springs. Here's the link to the posting on the series.

I’ve been using the heck out of my Heras 4-20 for quite a few months now. Treat the elevation turret like I’m trying to wear it out because its on a 15 to 175 yard gun. I think it’s my favorite scope that didn’t cost over two grand. Right before dark is the only time the scope is slightly lacking. Slightly. I would gladly swap someone my Element 6-24 for another Heras in a heartbeat.

Spent a couple hours going threw the slew of rings / mount possibilities looking for cantilever and LOW !!!
Stealing mounts from another set up field rifle, came up with these and the required accessories ( wind flag, level, pointer etc ) making the new configuration that hopefully will stay as the norm going forward.
* Next a nautilus or heavy eccentric side parrilax wheel :unsure:

1A.jpg