• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Another pellet sorting thread

I have been weight sorting my .25 JSB 33.95gr pellets but I am still getting the occasional flyer so I ordered a pellet gauge to start head sorting too. I am wondering if I can group some pellets with different weights together that all have the same head size? Right now I am sorting by tenths of a grain so I am wondering if I can group at least 2 tenths or even 3 tenth’s together?

Lowest weight pellets in my tins so far are 33.6gr and highest have been 34.7gr. I am not sure how much of an extreme spread I will see on the chrono between the lowest and highest but it seems to be barely negligible only a few tenths of a grain apart, at least in my minimal testing.
I have been following a guy on YouTube he is from Europe shoots competition he's also in a wheelchair he's a gold medalist in it what he says is see what size your rifle likes to shoot he shows some groups with different size dyes that he has and certain pellets shoot tighter with a certain size for them he says he doesn't believe too much in the weight because if you put the pellet in a different spot on the scale you'll get a different measurement I still do weigh my pellets that I'm going to shoot competition with but finding the correct head size was a huge step what are your thoughts

I have been following a guy on YouTube he is from Europe shoots competition he's also in a wheelchair he's a gold medalist in it what he says is see what size your rifle likes to shoot he shows some groups with different size dyes that he has and certain pellets shoot tighter with a certain size for them he says he doesn't believe too much in the weight because if you put the pellet in a different spot on the scale you'll get a different measurement I still do weigh my pellets that I'm going to shoot competition with but finding the correct head size was a huge step what are your thoughts
I have watched his vids as well. I am only getting a small variation in head sizes, maybe I got some good tins? For my .25 caliber pellets I am only seeing 6.36 and 6.37 so there is not a whole lot of sorting going on. I am going to test the two sizes tomorrow over the chrono and see if my barrel likes one over the other. I have already done a bunch of weight testing and it seems like from the lightest to the heaviest I am only seeing a small extreme spread. Even with the great es and so I am still seeing marginal precision which lead me to head sorting. Next will be barrel tuning for harmonics.

I have bought myself a couple of head sizers and I have to tell you the results are staggering in the way the group's tighten up I got lucky out-of-the-box and bought the right two sizes to begin with but there's a lot to choose from and every gun is different every pellet shoots different so you'll have to invest in some pellet sizers and see the results it gets rid of all the Flyers at the very least

Reactions: Raydee38
Do you think sorting doesn't make a difference?? Think again. Look at this weight distribution of 25 cal JSB 25.4 gr pellets. Here's another test that I did with .177 gr pellets. The groups do shrink in size for sure, and if you are a competition shooter, then you have to sort, at least by weight. The difference between an 8 or 9 and a 10 on the target means winning or losing.

25 cal spread.jpg
Pellet inspection test.jpg

Went to the range yesterday with pellets sorted in 2 weight ranges from 34gr to 34.2gr and 34.3gr to 34.5gr. In both groups the SD and ES were very good with FPS being about 4 or 5 fps higher with the lighter grain pellets. To me I don’t see much benefit it sorting by weight any more than this. Head size sorting will have to wait for the next range session. The range was very windy yesterday so I did not continue with head sorting seeing that nothing was grouping very well.

I will have to double check the numbers but in case anyone was wondering I was getting an ES of around 2 fps and a SD under 1 which was pretty consistent.

Do you think sorting doesn't make a difference?? Think again. Look at this weight distribution of 25 cal JSB 25.4 gr pellets. Here's another test that I did with .177 gr pellets. The groups do shrink in size for sure, and if you are a competition shooter, then you have to sort, at least by weight. The difference between an 8 or 9 and a 10 on the target means winning or losing.

View attachment 435136View attachment 435137
Nice work

I have bought myself a couple of head sizers and I have to tell you the results are staggering in the way the group's tighten up I got lucky out-of-the-box and bought the right two sizes to begin with but there's a lot to choose from and every gun is different every pellet shoots different so you'll have to invest in some pellet sizers and see the results it gets rid of all the Flyers at the very least
Will you share a link to where you purchased them.?

Has JSB ever been sued for the junk they sell?

JSB by and large makes the best pellets that can be had.
They occasionally have problems with specific pellets (.22 MRD is the frontrunner there), but looking at all that they make, nobody is making pellets that are the quality of JSB across all their products.

Even the .22 MRD, with its occasional unexplainable flyers, shoot better @ 100 yards than any other heavy .22 pellet offered by other manufacturers.

There's a reason JSB is so prevalently in the equipment list of pellet-only match reports.

We're getting what we get with JSB b/c they're already at the top of the heap. JSB won't make anything better until somebody else is making something better than JSB, ie until JSB is compelled to do so.

Checked two recent field target events near to me, one pretty high profile....

• March of 2024 Sonoran Desert Grand Prix (AAFTA) - 50 users of JSB or JSB produced relabels (FX/AA/etc), and 4 users of non JSB (3xH&N and 1xBenjamin)
  • Feb of 2024- Ultimate Field Target at Phoenix Rod and Gun Club- in the pellet class, 13 users of JSB or JSB produced relabes, and 2 users of non JSB (1xZAN and 1xJTS)
That's pretty typical for match reports that include those details. And when only caliber and weight are listed, they're also 90-95% JSB caliber/weight combinations.

I'm sure similar percentages will show up in benchrest match reports.

JSB is typically, "the good stuff" and used by the majority of competitive shooters. It's great that most of the JSB pellets are trustable, but when you're at the top of the heap, there's nobody pushing you to be better.

Market competition is a good thing. As the end users, we'd all benefit from another player in the pellet making game, SPECIFICALLY one that makes pellets with comparable quality (reliable accuracy) and similar or even better BCs than JSB.