FX Any advice on replacing the A18 O-Ring on the FX Maverick?

Barrel length is 700. I know there are different target ranges for reg’s and PW / HS for different ones and wasn’t sure if there was a way to find some balance between the two. Figured it was worth a shot. I know the settings it was at, 150 / 120 (not sure about the PW though), it was shooting the 34g pellets pretty damn well at 50-75 yards.
What caliber? You need to pick one, if you get the slugs, the pellets will fall in line pretty much. It's a balance between the reg pressure and the HSA, a very fine balance. If you are happy with the slugs, then start backing out the HSA Micro adjuster on #7 until you peak your speed, then back off until it drops a little, that should be about perfect. If you need more speed, then a bit more pressure and play with the HSA Micro again. With slugs you don't want one more molecule of air than is absolutely necessary. Pellets don't care that much. You will find your SD is great on one but not on both, i.e. 1.0 on slugs and 3.0 on pellets. I'm running slugs at 950-1040 and pellets really close to that. I can recommend AEA pellets all of my guns like them....a LOT.

What caliber? You need to pick one, if you get the slugs, the pellets will fall in line pretty much. It's a balance between the reg pressure and the HSA, a very fine balance. If you are happy with the slugs, then start backing out the HSA Micro adjuster on #7 until you peak your speed, then back off until it drops a little, that should be about perfect. If you need more speed, then a bit more pressure and play with the HSA Micro again. With slugs you don't want one more molecule of air than is absolutely necessary. Pellets don't care that much. You will find your SD is great on one but not on both, i.e. 1.0 on slugs and 3.0 on pellets. I'm running slugs at 950-1040 and pellets really close to that. I can recommend AEA pellets all of my guns like them....a LOT.
.25 (apologies for not disclosing that one). My experience revolves around the Daisy / Crossman pumps and Gamo break barrels (.177 exclusively), so anything aside from a wadcutter pellet is new territory for me.

I have a small quantity of the FX Hybrid Slugs (26g) that came with the gun, but well over 2,000 pellets split between the JSB’s King Heavy (34g) and the Hades (26g). Wasn’t sure if the Hybrids would tune similarly to the Hades because of the size / weight. My target area is typically 20-100 yards, but I’ve got options to go upwards of 200 yards (pest control on the farm). Slugs just seem more interesting considering what they are capable of.

My hope (and I’m realizing it’s not necessarily a possibility) would be to find reg settings that would suffice for any ammo and use the HSA & Micro Adjuster to accommodate for different ammo.

For the Micro Adjuster, do you start all the way in and back out slowly or all the way out and work in? I probably need to watch AEAC’s video in more detail on tuning the maverick.

(My Chrono should be here by Wednesday, which gives me enough time to finish my rebuild / reseal).

.25 (apologies for not disclosing that one). My experience revolves around the Daisy / Crossman pumps and Gamo break barrels (.177 exclusively), so anything aside from a wadcutter pellet is new territory for me.

I have a small quantity of the FX Hybrid Slugs (26g) that came with the gun, but well over 2,000 pellets split between the JSB’s King Heavy (34g) and the Hades (26g). Wasn’t sure if the Hybrids would tune similarly to the Hades because of the size / weight. My target area is typically 20-100 yards, but I’ve got options to go upwards of 200 yards (pest control on the farm). Slugs just seem more interesting considering what they are capable of.

My hope (and I’m realizing it’s not necessarily a possibility) would be to find reg settings that would suffice for any ammo and use the HSA & Micro Adjuster to accommodate for different ammo.

For the Micro Adjuster, do you start all the way in and back out slowly or all the way out and work in? I probably need to watch AEAC’s video in more detail on tuning the maverick.

(My Chrono should be here by Wednesday, which gives me enough time to finish my rebuild / reseal.

Lets play with the JSB's first, you need to know your speed and your #2 pressure, then take that little metric Allen, get the knob between 7 & 1 and hit the little screw, do one half turn clockwise, moving it out. DO NOT WORRY if the gun won't cock, that just means it was already out a bunch, just turn int back in. If it cocks, then fire a couple of pellets to establish speed, keep moving it until it falls off, then start screwing it back in 1/4 turn increments in until you hit max, then 1/8 turns or smaller to find the sweet spot of max speed, then back it off a bit, you should be good to go. With those pellets you'll be around 900-920, toss in the slugs and they'll be about 980-1040. If your gun doesn't have a carbon tube over the soda straw liner I'd invest in one, you don't have to glue it on, I've got one both ways glued and slip on, zero difference for me.

If you want to get adventurous, you can take of the dial, taking care not to lose that little ball bearing, then pull the HSA and measure the OAL height with some calipers. FX sets them at 19.3mm to start. prior to reassembly, squirt a little lube on your hammer and spring, and use a dab of grease to hold that ball bearing in. It doesn't matter where you line up the dial. I work over a LARGE white towel so with any luck it'll catch that bearing, otherwise....I got out to my collection and open the bag of 50 and grab a new one. Lube the inside of the adjuster too, it's soft Aluminum, just any decent grease works fine.

Lets play with the JSB's first, you need to know your speed and your #2 pressure, then take that little metric Allen, get the knob between 7 & 1 and hit the little screw, do one half turn clockwise, moving it out. DO NOT WORRY if the gun won't cock, that just means it was already out a bunch, just turn int back in. If it cocks, then fire a couple of pellets to establish speed, keep moving it until it falls off, then start screwing it back in 1/4 turn increments in until you hit max, then 1/8 turns or smaller to find the sweet spot of max speed, then back it off a bit, you should be good to go. With those pellets you'll be around 900-920, toss in the slugs and they'll be about 980-1040. If your gun doesn't have a carbon tube over the soda straw liner I'd invest in one, you don't have to glue it on, I've got one both ways glued and slip on, zero difference for me.

If you want to get adventurous, you can take of the dial, taking care not to lose that little ball bearing, then pull the HSA and measure the OAL height with some calipers. FX sets them at 19.3mm to start. prior to reassembly, squirt a little lube on your hammer and spring, and use a dab of grease to hold that ball bearing in. It doesn't matter where you line up the dial. I work over a LARGE white towel so with any luck it'll catch that bearing, otherwise....I got out to my collection and open the bag of 50 and grab a new one. Lube the inside of the adjuster too, it's soft Aluminum, just any decent grease works fine.
Thanks for the advice. I took advantage of Labor Day and purchased the CF liner (I read about that one on another thread) and a few things from Huma (i.e. new reg’s, v2 high-flow transfer port, pellet tune kit, reseal kit). The new transfer port and CF liner are already installed and the pellet probe / new reg’s are ready to go, once I finish the reseal. My chronograph should be here in a day or two, so I was hoping to finish all the setup to get to shooting this weekend.

I’ve already used my caliper a few times to get the supports spaced for the cocking arm / plenums… Granted it is imperial and I have to get out the pen and paper to get the conversions squared away (so far it’s worked fine).

I’m curious on the use cases for the different hammer weights (e.g., 11.5 gram, 13.2 gram, 14.5 gram)…

Thanks for the advice. I took advantage of Labor Day and purchased the CF liner (I read about that one on another thread) and a few things from Huma (i.e. new reg’s, v2 high-flow transfer port, pellet tune kit, reseal kit). The new transfer port and CF liner are already installed and the pellet probe / new reg’s are ready to go, once I finish the reseal. My chronograph should be here in a day or two, so I was hoping to finish all the setup to get to shooting this weekend.

I’ve already used my caliper a few times to get the supports spaced for the cocking arm / plenums… Granted it is imperial and I have to get out the pen and paper to get the conversions squared away (so far it’s worked fine).

I’m curious on the use cases for the different hammer weights (e.g., 11.5 gram, 13.2 gram, 14.5 gram)…
IMHO you are heading down a branch the Rabbit Hole® that will cause you more trouble than it's worth. Higher pressure require higher hammer/spring weights, unless you are pushing really heavy pellets/slugs, not necessary. The ONLY thing I've changed on my Mavericks is the probe and that's only to a slug probe, not a pin. and I use the slug port instead of the pellet port, theory here is more air, and less turbulence.

Reactions: jakob8572
Honestly, I wouldn’t rule it out. I intentionally bought a used gun so I could learn the mechanics. I considered others PCPs first, but after shooting a few different FX models, I can say they felt different (in a better way). Aside from this one o-ring, it’s actually quite easy to work on. I opted for the FX Maverick as it’s not as intensive as the M3 (at least that was my perspective).

I found lots of resources on the forums and several tutorials at YouTube University. I did a full disassembly and reassembly first, and it still shot great. I then started the reseal / upgrade and have only run into this one issue (namely I don’t have the right pick). So far, I installed a new probe, transfer port, CF barrel liner, 2 new reg’s, new 28mm gauges.

If you buy a new one, I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work as expected out of the box.
"
"why it wouldn’t work as expected out of the box." Yeah about that......you read the fun stories about the new out of the box guns that have issues, I had one of them too. I purposely bought a used gun also, one of the owners was a flaming IDIOT, destroyed the thing , so I got first hand knowledge of fixing a Maverick. My first Mav was new, had a bad install on a reg o-ring, heck of a way to start off.

IMHO you are heading down a branch the Rabbit Hole® that will cause you more trouble than it's worth. Higher pressure require higher hammer/spring weights, unless you are pushing really heavy pellets/slugs, not necessary. The ONLY thing I've changed on my Mavericks is the probe and that's only to a slug probe, not a pin. and I use the slug port instead of the pellet port, theory here is more air, and less turbulence.
I did the pellet probe purely as I’m more comfortable in that arena and I wasn’t really thinking slugs before now. Maybe at some point I’ll make that switch, but I’ll admit I appreciate the insight and you’re probably not surprised that others have advised me to steer clear of that path as a first time PCP shooter.

I recognize that there‘s a lot out there for me to discover and I’m eager to learn. I’m trying to take it all in stride…

But if I’m being honest, I can’t help but scratch when I’ve got an itch 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: HogKiller

I did the pellet probe purely as I’m more comfortable in that arena and I wasn’t really thinking slugs before now. Maybe at some point I’ll make that switch, but I’ll admit I appreciate the insight and you’re probably not surprised that others have advised me to steer clear of that path as a first time PCP shooter.

I recognize that there‘s a lot out there for me to discover and I’m eager to learn. I’m trying to take it all in stride…

But if I’m being honest, I can’t help but scratch when I’ve got an itch 🤣
Ahhhh little grasshopper you must first learn to walk before you can run, other wise you will be in joy of running and run into a wall. Your gun WAS more than capable of shooting 34gr pellets with excellent consistency, what it is now is going to be interesting to find out.

A 34g JSB or FX pellet can do some work out to 100yds in 25Cal. Slugs are fun but I think they are really only worth it for a small group of pcp users and they do take a journey to dial in.
Ah yes, that journey, the frustration, the anger, the depression, then finally the darn things work...generally, once you find the right slug for your gun.

Ahhhh little grasshopper you must first learn to walk before you can run, other wise you will be in joy of running and run into a wall. Your gun WAS more than capable of shooting 34gr pellets with excellent consistency, what it is now is going to be interesting to find out.

Ah yes, that journey, the frustration, the anger, the depression, then finally the darn things work...generally, once you find the right slug for your gun.

You’d think I would have learned a thing or two after reading a bunch of “first time PCP” threads, but no… I’m starting out with a noticeable limp.

As it’s been so long, I guarantee the gun will still shoot better than me when I’m done.

If they work please link.
I gave the needle another attempt, but I was afraid I’d end up doing more damage than good. I followed some advice by recommend getting a hold of some brass picks. I ended up ordering these (Next Day Delivery) and was able to remove the o-rings within a matter of minutes.

As HogKiller mentioned, reference Post #13 on this thread, those things get tricky if they’re older.

Reactions: rodm1