AEA Any AEA HP Max owners out there?

I have been having a great time tinkering with the Hp Max I got a couple weeks ago. I did not expect it to be as simple, solid, and adjustable as it is (first AEA gun). For me at least, this gun is just perfect - short, powerful, unregulated, easy access to hammer and spring, simple air path. Reminds me of airforce guns in a certain sense because it just seems like the perfect gun to tinker and experiment with. My hope is this becomes an aea standard and maybe more parts - barrels, hammers, springs - will be available in the future.

If you are using one of these id like to hear your thoughts. I have a few ideas and have made some very simple changes and will post about them in this thread if there is interest.

[2024 UPDATE: the gun was a nightmare. Leaked all the time. The replacement they eventually sent when their repairs wouldn't hold was just as bad. Ended up returning that for a .25 cal HP semi auto carbine which holds air but constantly jams. What should've been a good time enjoying some target shooting turned into an endless tech support headache and hours of frustration over several months. ]

Last edited:
My coworker picked up one of these from Utah Air when they had their Black Friday sale. He wasn't too happy with it. Shortly after, he shelled out another $2200 for an FX Impact MK3. Both are in .357. Even with the DonnyFL Emperor, the Max still hit triple digits in decibels.

I'm not too confident that AEA will bring out more accessories for any of their models. Every few months, they release a brand new model that has little to no compatibility to the previous ones. The Max was out for only a few months before the Challenger Pro came out.

I'm happy with my HP SS plus in .30 and Challenger in .357, but I don't think they're worth tinkering with too much once you get them to shoot reliably. 

On the other hand, the AEA facebook groups do have people doing a lot of tinkering and modding. 3rd party venders have made upgrades and what not, so there's always that option.

My coworker picked up one of these from Utah Air when they had their Black Friday sale. He wasn't too happy with it. Shortly after, he shelled out another $2200 for an FX Impact MK3. Both are in .357. Even with the DonnyFL Emperor, the Max still hit triple digits in decibels.

125+ fpe out if a non regulated gun, short barrel non working shrouded gun, is going to be on the loud side.

But then again are you buying a .357 airgun for plinking?

125+ fpe out if a non regulated gun, short barrel non working shrouded gun, is going to be on the loud side.

But then again are you buying a .357 airgun for plinking?

He bought it to legally hunt deer in VA. He was not happy with the Max and just went all in on the FX.

I have solved my threading problems thanks to David (rocker1 of the GTA).

Here is a Tesla valve insert I designed yesterday for a narrow shroud space. 11mm bore in a 22 mm i.d. I went the Tesla valve route because there’s not a lot of space for conventional baffles I think and they might just perform well in this circumstance. Who knows. Three of these will fit in the shroud tubes I have and I can just print it as a monocore or separate baffles.

I know there’s a lot of volume occupied by those thick walls but I don’t want to start with something flimsy. If this works at all then I’ll start hollowing out a little more volume and maybe contouring the baffle rims to direct air flow backward rather than trapping it in a corner and forcing it back due to filling. 

44900A60-73EB-4BEE-909F-724F40390555.1645643821.png

I’m tinkering with this thing again. Wondering if anyone here has any advice on lubrication? I have krytox, silicone lube, ballistol on hand. 

I wonder if a lube like krytox would be good around the back parts of the bolt? and should there be any lube on the hammer or spring guide? How about the trigger group?

I also found some easy and obvious things to use as hammer weights. There have been some videos showing a power tune where small washers are added to increase spring preload. These hammer weights would add a little bit of spring pre-load along with more mass. I will try this out in the near future. 

13B18734-35EA-47F0-8C69-E0B17449720B.1646343145.jpeg
7E32A162-CEDA-4D12-9A66-EFFFAA899B27.1646343145.jpeg

Reactions: Stretch
I got the 22CAL HP MAX SEMI AUTO....THIS GUN,,, I HAD TO FIGHT,,, THE HARD TO PULL BOLT ,,,, AND CHEEP MAGS WAS DIFFICULT TO PULL AND TAKE OUT ..MEANY MISSFIRE,,, PELLETS WOULD PILE UP IN MAG AND OR BARREL.... """" DEFINITELY PELLET FUSSY""""..AFTER 6 FILLS.. THE GUN WOULDN'T FIRE ANY MORE..AEA SHOULD HAVE A BOLTNOCH ON GUN TO HOLD IT WHEN CHANGING MAGS..I FELT LIKE I WAS FIGHTING THE GUN THE HOLE TIME...THE GUN ISN'T CHEEP 500$ NOT HAPPY ,,,NOT MEANY SHOT...36 SHOT PER FILL, SEMI AUTO WORKS SOME TIMES .. SEEMS LIKE I HAVE NO LUCK WITH. IT...AEA SHOULD HAVE BETTER MAG FOR THERE GUNS...TO MUCH PLAY FOR SEMI AUTO.. I believe clipping pellets Jamed the gun in some way and ... I read the manual and it said not to take the gun apart.i The gun is VERRY ACCURATE Powerful,,, BUT sloppy MAGS pellets jam the gun alot.. CHEEP mags makes this gun,,, no fun... my hands are sore from pulling the bolt BACK..
I EXPECTED A LOT MORE FROM AEA... "REALLY DISAPPOINTED"

Reactions: nobody1
AEA guns definitely have their shortcomings. Max in particular from my experience.

Having a hard time with the bolt though… That’s a little bit surprising for a 22.

I agree the magazines are ridiculously cheap. Once you get used to them they aren’t so bad but the fact is it takes too much work to get used to them.

My .25 semi auto has none of these issues. Easy to cock, no jams…

The thing is the HP max doesn’t come in semi auto so are you sure you’ve got it right which airgun you got there? Seems like maybe you are mixing up two different products

Last edited:
Reactions: RAMJET66

I'm not too confident that AEA will bring out more accessories for any of their models. Every few months, they release a brand new model that has little to no compatibility to the previous ones. The Max was out for only a few months before the Challenger Pro came out.

I'm happy with my HP SS plus in .30 and Challenger in .357, but I don't think they're worth tinkering with too much once you get them to shoot reliably.

On the other hand, the AEA facebook groups do have people doing a lot of tinkering and modding. 3rd party venders have made upgrades and what not, so there's always that option.
I have an AEA pro. 9mm I absolutely love it I have 7 air guns and it' in 2nd place behind the FX dreamline bullpup .30 in 3rd place is the Air Venturi .25