Huben Any issues or problems with Huben gk1 please share your experience

Matt, do you own a GK1? I think if you did, you would realize what an exceptional pistol it is. I'll give you dollars to a donut the above fault is not the gun!

I don't and I can list the reasons why I won't, but, this thread isn't about if I own one or not, it is about owners who experience issues. It's still a shame the few nuances the gun does have which keep me from owning one. The gun would be exceptional to me subjectively if it weren't nuanced by ammo selections that cause jams/tank dumps, didn't break springs at high pressure fills, and didn't have 3 versions released rapidly within 6 months...hence why I wait for now until I feel comfortable with a version worth owning, to me, subjectively.

I am glad you (and many others) like yours as is though. but...not everyone has the same feelings as you, especially after the honeymoon period.

Dave has mentioned how they could improve the action by beefing it up. Hey, lets home they take notes? Keep em coming folks

-Matt

• Haha
Reactions: longdog
The road to perfection is long and bumpy road. I'm in it for the long haul!

Agreed, I am as well, but as a spectator on the sideline. I thoroughly enjoy seeing the changes often occur with newly released airguns within the first year or two before weighing in on purchasing them or not. I'm not here to convince current owners otherwise.

-Matt

I see several areas that can be improved on. I really like the platform but that doesn’t mean I think it’s perfect.

The k1 is regulated and as such, is not near as rough on components. The gk1 uses the same components meant for regulation to function unregulated.

Huben didn’t necessarily ‘throw’ this on the market, it was overwhelmingly asked for. They provided.

The gk1 can best be described as a hotrod with a stock motor being fed with nitrous. Will it run? You bet it will! But the more you squirt it, the more likely you are going to experience failure. 350 bar on a mechanism designed (and proven with k1) for a much lower pressure is asking for issues. I understood this going into it. I’m fine with some minor issues but I stay under 4500 on my fills because I know the risks involved and that is where I’m comfortable. I don’t want to necessarily push the limits just because.

Dave

Me if a modular version with all the kinks worked out comes to market.

Give me an 8" barrel and a 15" barrel, an 85cc and 150cc exchangeable reservoir, and an easily detachable folding stock.

1726242654978.gif

-Matt

• Haha
Reactions: sb327
I don't and I can list the reasons why I won't, but, this thread isn't about if I own one or not, it is about owners who experience issues. It's still a shame the few nuances the gun does have which keep me from owning one. The gun would be exceptional to me subjectively if it weren't nuanced by ammo selections that cause jams/tank dumps, didn't break springs at high pressure fills, and didn't have 3 versions released rapidly within 6 months...hence why I wait for now until I feel comfortable with a version worth owning, to me, subjectively.

I am glad you (and many others) like yours as is though. but...not everyone has the same feelings as you, especially after the honeymoon period.

Dave has mentioned how they could improve the action by beefing it up. Hey, lets home they take notes? Keep em coming folks

-Matt
The gun is designed for pellets, not slugs. The pellets are retained in the magazine by the light chamfer at the rear of the magazine's bores. These bores are exactly the diameter of the pellet head and as the skirt is always slightly larger, the pellet is prevented from inadvertently slipping forward. If the end user violates the gun's design, the fault is on the user not the gun.

Nothing is perfect, even this pistol, but it is the best that is. No other PCP pistol out performs the GK1. You do not own one and that's a choice of course, but as a non-user your criticism is suspect first. There are faults like the possible moderator adapter misalignment with the barrel line as I reported early on in this thread. The use of slugs in a pistol without any way to contain them in the magazine's position is risk without reward. Not only do slugs not offer any advantage at pistol distances, slug diameter is critical for magazine retention. Therefore that criticism is grossly unfair. If you buy any product and use it outside of its intended design, parameters you will void its warrantee, Why then should the GK1 be any different.

Last edited:
The gun is designed for pellets, not slugs. The pellets are retained in the magazine by the light chamfer at the rear of the magazine's bores. These bores are exactly the diameter of the pellet head and as the skirt is always slightly larger, the pellet is prevented from inadvertently slipping forward. If the end user violates the gun's design, the fault is on the user not the gun.

I've read user reports of certain pellets not cooperating with the design/magazine, by either falling out or causing jams...I also believe Dave uses knurled slugs with his, so the gun should be plenty capable with slugs provided proper fitment.

You seem to claim every single failure point of this gun has been user error, which I won't argue, just find...interesting.

-Matt

I've read user reports of certain pellets not cooperating with the design/magazine, by either falling out or causing jams...I also believe Dave uses knurled slugs with his, so the gun should be plenty capable with slugs provided proper fitment.

You seem to claim every single failure point of this gun has been user error, which I won't argue, just find...interesting.

-Matt
I can not say every, that would be stupid, but I can say all that I know of, with the exception of the barrel/shroud/ moderator adapter thing, which I have reported to the Spanish distributor and the factory in China.

A per request of the OP:
I would like to report another issue or problem with the Huben GK1:

As a scope buying airgunner I am a magnification addict.
With the clinical tests to prove it.
(Just within a few months I purchased not one, not two, but three optics with 30x and more magnification.)

The Huben GK1 is now causing an issue with that addiction. 😳
I explain:

One of the shooting scenarios where the GK1 shines are close range shots that require fast target acquisition (as the quarry is likely not to sit still for more than a couple of seconds).

● Why the GK1:
➧ because it is so light — quick to bring on target
➧ because it is semi-auto — so I can keep firing at that pesky pest in case I missed the first shot
➧ because it does not require to be squeezed for all 60FPE it can produce — I shoot it at 12FPE. With a Sumo, it doesn't go "blam" — it goes "click".

Here is where the GK1 really is causing an issue for me:
The best optic for the above shooting scenario is a dot sight (reflex dot sight, holographic dot sight, or prismatic dot sight).
But those optics typically have NO MAGNIFICATION AT ALL!!! 😱
➠ You can imagine, this wreaks havoc for a magnification addict like me!

After using a prism dot sight for a few weeks, my addiction won out. Off came the dot sight, on came a 5-20x — aaaaaah, feels so good, the rush of magnification cursing through my blood stream!!! 😃

But today.... — I liberated myself from the magnification urge, and put the dot sight back on. 💪🏼

➠ I had great fun with those quick short range shots! 😃

Matthias

Huben.   GK1.  With Leupold Freedom RDS 1x34 1Moa BDC [Reflex Sight].jpg

As much as I love the gk1, it really shouldn’t be labeled as a 350 bar gun in its current form. I said this when we first got our pistols and some guys springs were deforming or breaking. User error? No. 350 bar driving the striker back into a spring that was made for much lower pressure is the error. The spring did not get beefed up for the non regulated gk1, it’s the same spring that’s in the regulated k1. However, I don’t hear that problem happening anymore so maybe they used a stronger spring for the new versions; and the guys who experienced broken springs probably aren’t filling to 350 bar anymore. I don’t fill mine passed 270 bar and I’m still using the original spring with no issues. To be honest, I’m scared to fill it to 350 bar. Considering most non regulated gun will only be filled to 250 bar and most regulated guns are subjecting the internals to less than 200 bar. I don’t fear the pistol exploding rather the sear failing (that holds back the striker which prevents the gun from discharging).

Last edited:
I agree with pale Rider. I think 350 bar is abuse. Yes, it can handle that for a while, but it is not necessary. I now have thousands of rounds through both of my GK1s without any issues. I fill to 300 bar and recharge after every magazine. I set my power to 720 fps and after each mag, the gun pressure will be 210 bar. With those settings, I get very consistent speed for all 17 shots.

Reactions: Pale_Rider
I've been shooting from 350 bar since I got it. Thousands of rounds, not even a hiccup. I'll have to open it up and take a look at the spring one of these days and see if there's any sign of wear.
First, I think you are very fortunate that you have not experienced issues. You are stressing the pistol to its factory stated max. At the same time, it proves just how solid the gun really is. Like all air guns, the GK1 should be tuned for its optimum performance i.e. highest consistent velocity with the least amount of HPA consumed. That tune usually never occurs at max rated pressure.

Reactions: MrP
I'm one of the people who has had springs bend while shooting 46-50 grain .254 slugs at 80 FPE ( at least for the first few shots) after bending a few and lube not helping, I reduced the power to 52 FPE but I think my current spring might still be bent. At the current tune I am getting very consistent speeds for all 17 shots and have 20ish mpa left after a 5000 psi fill. As for whether it's the fill pressure or high power tunes that's bad for the springs, I do not know. Since huben advertised them as 40 joule if I recall, I can see the arguement to be made that by making them do 80 FPE we are exceeding the design parameters but I reject the notion that filling to 5000 psi does. If the same components designed for lower pressures are used, then huben should have advertised it as having a lower fill pressure, or at least what pressure is best for the components. In any case, it would be cool to have it capable of standing up to 80 FPE tunes.

Texted Kelly today to see if there's news of a new spring, huben has released one. Gonna get a few and see how they hold up. Came to check this thread to see if anyone else has already got their hands on one, surprised to not see it mentioned yet. Once i get mine I will test it and see how it holds up. Previously the springs bent on me at high tunes after as few as 300 shots so i figure I'll try to get 600 out of it, then remove the spring to see how it has held up. I'll share results when I can although i am currently a busy guy with my normal job
1000010617.jpg

Last edited: