Huben Any issues or problems with Huben gk1 please share your experience

Interesting part. Doesn't seem that complicated, but perhaps I'm over simplifying it, and shouldn't. Does something go through the bore? Ah, part 21, the close valve spring stem goes in part way. Looks like a simple lathe project, and a small sized one at that. If I have to deal with that, maybe I'd make one out of aluminum. Seems like that plastic piece is marginal for it's load - even if by a rookie.
If it was made from aluminum, then it would have an aluminum piston hammering an aluminum seat (receiver). That seems like a bad combo for longevity.

Dave

Interesting part. Doesn't seem that complicated, but perhaps I'm over simplifying it, and shouldn't. Does something go through the bore? Ah, part 21, the close valve spring stem goes in part way. Looks like a simple lathe project, and a small sized one at that. If I have to deal with that, maybe I'd make one out of aluminum. Seems like that plastic piece is marginal for it's load - even if by a rookie.
Yeah that part should've been made out of some stronger material. For some important details on it I recommend checking out Gregor's disassemble video.

Removing the trigger guard should have no effect on the closing valve. I’m sure you are aware but it is contained via the adjustment stem housing (brass) and that part doesn’t get disturbed by just removing the trigger guard.

What pressure were you running in the reservoir?

Dave
I had it on 350 at first. The issue started at around 300 bar. But it's rated to operate at that pressure. Also I never shot it at full power.
Which version do you have? Because my V3 doesn't have a brass part in it. The pressure is adjusted by the grub screw of the trigger unit which pushes on the steel pin of the closing valve unit. The V1 has that brass part I believe.

Yeah, mine is a V1. Maybe that’s the difference, hmm. So it may be possible something wasn’t aligned correctly.

You are correct that it should operate fine at the manufacturer’s recommended fill pressure.

Can you post a picture of the other parts while you have it apart? It would be interesting to see the difference between v1 and v3.

Thanks,
Dave

At least it should be an easy fix.

IMG_20240922_192401.jpg

IMG_20240922_192512.jpg

If it was made from aluminum, then it would have an aluminum piston hammering an aluminum seat (receiver). That seems like a bad combo for longevity.

Dave
I'd agree. I was simply thinking about replacing the part with something easy to machine. I was only looking at the part breakdown, which isn't all that clear. I see the string of parts 19-28, but not exactly where the stack goes. Obviously it somehow is mounted in the receiver, which is aluminum.

So what metal would be appropriate? Brass is heavy, and soft but easy to machine. Steel beating on aluminum seems worse in a way. Or is some sort of plastic the best material?

Last edited:
Reactions: WobblyHand
As far as using a different material, I don’t think we are quite to the point of needing something different. This is the first I’ve heard of this happening. Without knowing what created the failure, I’m not sure it requires a material change.

If it were the wrong material however, sometimes going harder/stronger is not the answer. If it shattered due to closing impact, a softer, more impact tolerant material may be the answer.

If we continue to see this type of failure, corrections may be necessary.

Dave

As far as using a different material, I don’t think we are quite to the point of needing something different. This is the first I’ve heard of this happening. Without knowing what created the failure, I’m not sure it requires a material change.

If it were the wrong material however, sometimes going harder/stronger is not the answer. If it shattered due to closing impact, a softer, more impact tolerant material may be the answer.

If we continue to see this type of failure, corrections may be necessary.

Dave

No, hardness alone does not determine brittleness. While hardness is a measure of a material's resistance to indentation or scratching, brittleness refers to a material's tendency to fracture or break when subjected to stress or impact.

*edit* to elaborate, tensile strength doesn't dictate impact strength or flexural strength. Material science especially with thermoplastics is complex.

Example, delrin(top) vs peek(bottom): delrin will fracture much sooner than peek from impact and bending, however it's a much lower tensile strength...
1727030954574.png

1727030946099.png

-Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: WobblyHand
It’s funny you mention aluminum for the closing valve. The original closing valve in the Huben k1 is aluminum. View attachment 498371

Nary a problem with the closing valve until it dropped off the table (during a re-seal) and broke the retaining clip.
When I first saw the plastic part, I thought the top surface did the sealing. Now I see more clearly there's a groove on the angled edge on the plastic GK1 part and the aluminum K1 part. Where is the seal, or is this more like a hammer? The groove looks like a vent or leak. What is the function of the groove? Hmm, there's quite a bit I don't understand about this design. I'd like to know more.

When I first saw the plastic part, I thought the top surface did the sealing. Now I see more clearly there's a groove on the angled edge on the plastic GK1 part and the aluminum K1 part. Where is the seal, or is this more like a hammer? The groove looks like a vent or leak. What is the function of the groove? Hmm, there's quite a bit I don't understand about this design. I'd like to know more.
The top (angled) part does do the sealing. The groove is lets air bypass the valve to repressurize the opening valve. It’s the only valve I know in the airgun world that is designed to “leak”. A simple yet genius design.

It is a purpose created leak. Not enough to keep the opening valve from resetting but enough to allow the opening valve chamber pressure to equalize (once reset). This equalization allows the closing valve to reset to it’s ‘open’ position.

Oops, looks like it got answered already. lol

Dave

IMO, that piece should be metal due to that angle and seat dimensions alone, and either what it slams against or itself should have a thermoplastic seat. That nature of that angular geometry just looks prone to..what we see in reply #234.

You can see the indentation where it seats/slams. Reducing the OD of that if possible would also reduce the damage from repeated impacts, seems quite unnecessarily large.
1727034472500.png

1727034462057.png

Does the OD of that metal piece have to terminate to such a large degree? I know it breathes but, I'd rather see it taper where the plastic piston seats, thus reducing the impact forced on the outer circumference, thus reducing the stress on that weak spot...having it transfer energy more center lined would mean the whole piece absorbs the energy, opposed to that..poor outer edge...so I could see staying plastic, with a reduced OD on its seat/where it slams.

-Matt

Last edited:
IMO, that piece should be metal due to that angle and seat dimensions alone, and either what it slams against or itself should have a thermoplastic seat. That nature of that angular geometry just looks prone to..what we see in reply #234.

You can see the indentation where it seats/slams. Reducing the OD of that if possible would also reduce the damage from repeated impacts, seems quite unnecessarily large.
View attachment 498395
View attachment 498394

Does the OD of that metal piece have to terminate to such a large degree? I'd rather see it taper where the plastic piston seats, thus reducing the impact forced on the outer circumference, thus reducing the stress on that weak spot...having it transfer energy more center lined would mean the whole piece absorbs the energy, opposed to that..poor outer edge...so I could see staying plastic, with a reduced OD on its seat/where it slams.

-Matt
Is the groove on the top surface a seal, or is the angle on the side? On the K1 it is the angled side, not the top, at least according to @Pale_Rider .
If that were true, on the GK1, then what's the top groove for? And what's the edge groove for? Wouldn't there be a leak structure designed from one groove to the other? Or (as usual) I'm not understanding this...

Is the groove on the top surface a seal, or is the angle on the side? On the K1 it is the angled side, not the top, at least according to @Pale_Rider .
If that were true, on the GK1, then what's the top groove for? And what's the edge groove for? Wouldn't there be a leak structure designed from one groove to the other? Or (as usual) I'm not understanding this...

Pretty cool animation of the K1, I am sure the design varies mildly to the GK1

1727037028971.gif

Can you post a pic of the top of the valve? The top of the valve shouldn’t matter because it’s not doing any sealing. Only the angled portion directly below the top is sealing.

Can you post a pic of the top of the valve? The top of the valve shouldn’t matter because it’s not doing any sealing. Only the angled portion directly below the top is sealing.
I haven't taken mine apart yet. Was hoping to learn what the top groove was, besides being a potential failure point. At the moment, mine is shooting at 37FPE average for a magazine with a 30MPa fill. (28.4 grain NOE slugs.) Rather not crack it open unless I need to. If needed (or when needed) I'll open it. Still in the honeymoon stage ;).