AirMaks Arms Anyone compare Taipan Vet to Krait yet?

Mornin' AirGunners,
I am a self confessed lover of Taipans. I've tried others over the years, and always end up favoring my Veterans.
Any Taipan owners that have bought an Airmaks Krait and can share their thoughts on how they compare?
I've gotten used to the rear cocking on the Taipans; no longer bothers me; because their accuracy, triggers, anti double feed, etc, etc, just wins me over time and again.

Just that the specs on the Krait look pretty good on paper..

Thanks,
Terry

Reactions: scubajeeper
Hey Terry.
I love my Krait. Its a first gen shorty with no reg problems . Great trigger, accurate, quiet AF, shot count is good super consistent. Has forward cocking that's reversible if you want. The supplied hard case is light, sturdy, fits the gun perfectly even with a can screwed on if you want. I cant complain. I bought a Huma rag as a backup just in case. It's still in the original box.
Screenshot_20240711-083142.png

Compare, in what respect ?
Yes, I have both. Both in .22 I also have the Krait Lite, also in .22 ..
No, I still don't care for the Taipans rear cocking design, but I accept it.

I've had no problems with any of the guns. In general, I like the Krait, and the Krait Lite better. Much of this is an overall design thing, you know...looks, feel at the shoulder, grip to trigger feel. All are accurate, all have good triggers, all holding air properly, etc., etc. While the Krait Light regulator isn't easily adjustable, that is not a problem, as it's not a long range shooter for me, so there's no need to raise the pressure.

So that's one negative for the Taipan, rear cocking.
One negative for the Krait Lite, No (easy) regulator adjustment.
That puts the Krait on the top of the list.

What else ?

Mike

I like to single load my Vet .22 so the rear cocking actually works out better for me . My right hand never moves from the grip and I move the buttstock only slightly away from my shoulder when cocking. It's better than passing it it between hands to cock and load.

I've never owned a Krait but have read enough about fixes needed , that don't apply to the Taipans, so between the looks and issues it's a pass for me.

Reactions: Terryb00 and MrP
I have the Krait Lite Long and the Vet 2 both in .22. They are both about the same accuracy wise at 50 yards from a quick trip to a private range. The Veteran 2 has a much better finish and smoother trigger and cocking than the Krait (which is also very good in both areas) Krait is lighter by a bunch. I really like how the Vet was finished so it edges the Krait out and that would be the one I kept between the two. The Krait I have is a HP and about 7 fpe more than the Vet (51 - 44) but that's just how they are set up. I get 60 shots in the vet 70 with the Krait at their current tunes even though the Krait have a lot more air on hand. Both are great pcp's.

IMG_2884.JPG

IMG_28841.jpg

Thanks for your impressions, Guys.

Just wanted to hear your experience on their accuracy, feel at the shoulder, fit and finish, ergos, the Kraits' build quality, dependability, compared to the Vets.

I noticed, on paper, the Kraits lighter weight and better use of length; as in having a longer barrel with a similar size gun, more air capacity, larger mag capacity, and their anti-double feed in .22.

That doesn't always translate to what one prefers to shoot.

Terry

Hey Terry.
I love my Krait. Its a first gen shorty with no reg problems . Great trigger, accurate, quiet AF, shot count is good super consistent. Has forward cocking that's reversible if you want. The supplied hard case is light, sturdy, fits the gun perfectly even with a can screwed on if you want. I cant complain. I bought a Huma rag as a backup just in case. It's still in the original box.
View attachment 479051

Hey Mike,
It's good to hear you're still shooting, Bud. I recall a time back where your health was a concern.
Shoot safe.

I've had no problems with any of the guns. In general, I like the Krait, and the Krait Lite better. Much of this is an overall design thing, you know...looks, feel at the shoulder, grip to trigger feel. All are accurate, all have good triggers, all holding air properly, etc., etc. While the Krait Light regulator isn't easily adjustable, that is not a problem, as it's not a long range shooter for me, so there's no need to raise the pressure.

What else ?

Mike

Hi Mike,
I PM'd you a while back, cause I saw you had a couple Kraits, and asked you about them. Thanks for your personal likes/dislikes on the two brands.

I have the Krait Lite Long and the Vet 2 both in .22. They are both about the same accuracy wise at 50 yards from a quick trip to a private range. The Veteran 2 has a much better finish and smoother trigger and cocking than the Krait (which is also very good in both areas) Krait is lighter by a bunch. I really like how the Vet was finished so it edges the Krait out and that would be the one I kept between the two. The Krait I have is a HP and about 7 fpe more than the Vet (51 - 44) but that's just how they are set up. I get 60 shots in the vet 70 with the Krait at their current tunes even though the Krait have a lot more air on hand. Both are great pcp's.

View attachment 479092

View attachment 479093

@MACTEN thanks for your pics, and input. That's exactly why I reached out to you Guys; doesn't make a lot of sense buying ANOTHER airgun, if my Vet will trump again.
I'm not saying I won't pick one up..
I, too, would probably go with a Krait Long like you. Undecided on HP or not. The Krait Long is the same length as a Standard Vet, but has an over 2" longer barrel, weighs a pound less..
By the way, what are shooting out of your Vet 2, and Krait, to get that much fpe for a .22?

Terry

Last edited:
Reactions: MACTEN
I like to single load my Vet .22 so the rear cocking actually works out better for me . My right hand never moves from the grip and I move the buttstock only slightly away from my shoulder when cocking. It's better than passing it it between hands to cock and load.

I've never owned a Krait but have read enough about fixes needed , that don't apply to the Taipans, so between the looks and issues it's a pass for me.

@Headshots
I use my mags on my Vets, but like you, my right hand never leaves the grip when cocking. I just reach over with my left hand. It's become a smooth operation while target shooting off the bench.
Thanks,

Terry

Last edited:
Reactions: Headshots
If you're going to be somewhat around me borrow this thing for a week.
View attachment 479183

Hot dayum, that is tempting, Mike.

I might take you up on your kind offer, later this summer, when I've got a week off. I typically work 6 nights every week.
I recall it being a bit of a drive to your neck of the woods.
I still got your number. I'll holler of I can make it happen.
Thanks

What else ?

Mike
what is the weight difference between both guns? Thanks.

@MACTEN thanks for your pics, and input. That's exactly why I reached out to you Guys; doesn't make a lot of sense buying ANOTHER airgun, if my Vet will trump again.
I'm not saying I won't pick one up..
I, too, would probably go with a Krait Long like you. Undecided on HP or not. The Krait Long is the same length as a Standard Vet, but has an over 2" longer barrel, weighs a pound less..
By the way, what are shooting out of your Vet 2, and Krait, to get that much fpe for a .22?

Terry
Just pellets and stock tune .22 - 25.39's ( I actually turned them both down, hammer spring only , a bit below the knee as they were both maxed out when I got them)

Reactions: Terryb00
what is the weight difference between both guns? Thanks.

@Mr.H
It looks like the Kraits are over a pound lighter, according to their specs.
The Krait Standard (5.51#)is the same length as a Taipan Compact (6.724#).
The Krait Long (6.17#)is the same length as the Taipan Standard (7.385#)
The other difference I noticed was that both Krait models had 2" longer barrels than the Vets.

Terry

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr.H
@Mr.H
It looks like the Kraits are over a pound lighter, according to their specs.
The Krait Standard (5.51#)is the same length as a Taipan Compact (6.724#).
The Krait Long (6.17#)is the same length as the Taipan Standard (7.385#)
The other difference I noticed was that both Krait models had 2" longer barrels than the Vets.

Terry
One pound lighter would be an enticement for me. That's about the only down side to the Taipan.

Reactions: Terryb00