Anyone else out there have a trusty dog by their side for hunting?

four-paws-one-rifle-hunting-hijinks-with-alfie.jpeg

When I decided to welcome a Labrador into my life as my trusty airgun sidekick, I had visions of a classic gundog—one who would stand sentinel, mark, and retrieve with the grace of a seasoned professional. I certainly wasn’t expecting a furry dynamo with a predilection for chasing anything that dares to move swiftly. But if you believe the old chestnut that a dog often mirrors its owner, then Alfie, my lab, is a perfect match.

Alfie has taken to the air rifle like a duck to water. Mind you, the urge to bolt after anything that moves is still there, but at seven years old, his obedience is now on point. Off-lead, without a gun in sight, he’s like a greyhound at the races, chasing anything with a pulse. But stick him by my side with the scent of gun oil wafting through the air, and suddenly he’s the model gundog. He works a few yards ahead, ears swivelling, eyes darting, on the lookout for quarry. He has a cracking nose and an enthusiasm for diving into cover to flush out the bunnies. A mere whisper will drop him like a stone, letting me take my shot—and if I so much as raise the rifle to my shoulder, he stops and sits, anticipating the action.

Both of My Labs were much the same. They Loved to hunt. Then I met the wife, She owned a Sheepdog and there was no comparison. Anyway both of our dogs passed away in August <old age>. So, a couple of weeks ago we rescued a Lab Mix. I have not yet taken her out to look for Critters yet, but I think She will be a lot like your Handsome Fellow!

Stella.PNG

Both of My Labs were much the same. They Loved to hunt. Then I met the wife, She owned a Sheepdog and there was no comparison. Anyway both of our dogs passed away in August <old age>. So, a couple of weeks ago we rescued a Lab Mix. I have not yet taken her out to look for Critters yet, but I think She will be a lot like your Handsome Fellow!

View attachment 497677
It’s never easy losing a friend, especially a hunting companion. Here’s hoping you have loads of fun training your new mate and create a treasure trove of adventures together!

• Love
Reactions: Chief Ten-Beers
View attachment 497670

When I decided to welcome a Labrador into my life as my trusty airgun sidekick, I had visions of a classic gundog—one who would stand sentinel, mark, and retrieve with the grace of a seasoned professional. I certainly wasn’t expecting a furry dynamo with a predilection for chasing anything that dares to move swiftly. But if you believe the old chestnut that a dog often mirrors its owner, then Alfie, my lab, is a perfect match.

Alfie has taken to the air rifle like a duck to water. Mind you, the urge to bolt after anything that moves is still there, but at seven years old, his obedience is now on point. Off-lead, without a gun in sight, he’s like a greyhound at the races, chasing anything with a pulse. But stick him by my side with the scent of gun oil wafting through the air, and suddenly he’s the model gundog. He works a few yards ahead, ears swivelling, eyes darting, on the lookout for quarry. He has a cracking nose and an enthusiasm for diving into cover to flush out the bunnies. A mere whisper will drop him like a stone, letting me take my shot—and if I so much as raise the rifle to my shoulder, he stops and sits, anticipating the action.

Trooper my Weimaraner lab mix . Hes the best. This pic is like 12 years old now so hes abit older and still the same energy as the photo. My best buddy. We kill lots of rats. And I wouldn't be the same person without having him for so long. I know that I'm going on borrowed time with him but we still love the hunt. Well everyone have a good day and success in the hunt.🤙🏻🤙🏻🤙🏻🤙🏻

1000008174.jpg

20240905_111101.jpg

This is Chavo. 13 summers old. A rez dog from New Mexico. He found me on a long dirt road in the mountains and took me home. He's slept in the bend of my leg every night since.

He's tangled with bears, deer, antelope, javelina, skunks, rattlesnakes, porcupines and a list of rodents as long as your leg. He's taken over 250 stitches and given about 150. Chavo has a few notches in his pistol.

He is spending his retirement sidekicking on a trout boat and training his protégé and successor, Trigger.

20231225_111514.jpg

Trooper my Weimaraner lab mix . Hes the best. This pic is like 12 years old now so hes abit older and still the same energy as the photo. My best buddy. We kill lots of rats. And I wouldn't be the same person without having him for so long. I know that I'm going on borrowed time with him but we still love the hunt. Well everyone have a good day and success in the hunt.🤙🏻🤙🏻🤙🏻🤙🏻

View attachment 497900
Brilliant! He’s certainly earned that name. Looks every bit the Trooper, no question about it. Absolutely, mate—soak up every moment while you’ve got the chance. Cheers for sharing!