FX Anyone Tackle the M4 Quick Set Trigger?

Anyone adjust their M4 Quick Set Trigger (QST)? I have watched the FX video on making the various adjustments, but found it's lacking one pretty important point...

In the video it appears you move one grub screw to two different locations ignorer to change from the Standard to either the Match or Hunting trigger positions. In the video, there is only one grub screw shown and it's removed from one position and installed in another, depending upon which trigger configuration you want. My confusion stems from the fact my M4 trigger has a grub screw installed in both the Standard and Match position. Do I remove one? Do I just back one off and adjust the other inward? It's my understanding the M4 comes with the trigger in the Standard configuration from the factor, but is it? I really think FX needs to be a little more clear on what sub screws should be where and if they are all needed or not! At this point, I'm not wanting to touch it because I don't want to mess it up!

Quickset Trigger.jpg

Another adjustment I'd love to make it moving the trigger shoe forward a bit so it fit me better, but for the life of me, I con't get that screw to move! I've tried applying heat to see if it might have Loctite applied, but that's not working either. These grub screws are too small and easy to strip, I'm afraid to apply too much pressure. Anyone else experience this?

Well, based on the responses, I'm guessing no one has! I pulled the trigger today and discovered one grub screw was shorter than the other. The long one activated the different trigger configurations. So, I swapped them, putting the longer one in the Match Grade Trigger position and the shorter one in the Standard Trigger position. All I can say is WOW! It really does make a difference!

I still can't get the screw loose that allows the trigger post to move front to back, I've tried heat, cold and penetrating oil, nothing is working! I'm not sure what to try next, I can already tell the tiny little hex head is starting to round and I sure don't want to strip it out!

Well, based on the responses, I'm guessing no one has! I pulled the trigger today and discovered one grub screw was shorter than the other. The long one activated the different trigger configurations. So, I swapped them, putting the longer one in the Match Grade Trigger position and the shorter one in the Standard Trigger position. All I can say is WOW! It really does make a difference!

I still can't get the screw loose that allows the trigger post to move front to back, I've tried heat, cold and penetrating oil, nothing is working! I'm not sure what to try next, I can already tell the tiny little hex head is starting to round and I sure don't want to strip it out!
Paul! Glad you jumped in and gave it the old college try and it WORKED and you like the lighter trigger! Ha! About the post grub screw....YIKES! Like you said, just don't strip it! Maybe just a drop of creeping oil? I HATE small screws that are CEMENTED in!

Reactions: Dairyboy
Thank you Randall! What is this "creeping oil" you speak of? I did give it a blast of penetrating oil, but that didn't seem to phase it! I'm about to reach out to FX and request a replacement. Seems to me if they advertise the trigger as being adjustable from front to rear, and it doesn't move because the screw won't loosen, then it must be defective! :unsure:

I used Kroil, which says it creeps, and tried the soldering iron. No luck! I contacted The Pellet Shop about a possible Warranty claim since it's not adjustable if you can't get the screw loose. They referred me to Utah Air. They also recommended using MIP Hex drivers, saying they are more precise. I ordered a set of 3 from Amazon, they are supposed to arrive tomorrow. I figure I'd give those a try first and if that doesn't work, I'll reach out to UA and see if I get any help.

I used Kroil, which says it creeps, and tried the soldering iron. No luck! I contacted The Pellet Shop about a possible Warranty claim since it's not adjustable if you can't get the screw loose. They referred me to Utah Air. They also recommended using MIP Hex drivers, saying they are more precise. I ordered a set of 3 from Amazon, they are supposed to arrive tomorrow. I figure I'd give those a try first and if that doesn't work, I'll reach out to UA and see if I get any help.
I hope those new hex fit and give you a tighter fit! 🙏

The MIP driver set arrived today, and it worked! Amazing what a difference a quality tool makes! I now have the trigger moved slightly forward and it feels so much better!

This is the set I got if anyone is interested:

These fit a standard multi-bit type screwdriver handle, an electric screwdriver or a drill. I have a small torque driver that these fit in, which is great for applying just the right amount of torque when snuggin down these tiny screws.

The MIP driver set arrived today, and it worked! Amazing what a difference a quality tool makes! I now have the trigger moved slightly forward and it feels so much better!

These fit a standard multi-bit type screwdriver handle, an electric screwdriver or a drill. I have a small torque driver that these fit in, which is great for applying just the right amount of torque when snuggin down these tiny screws.
good thing you had patience and didn't round the screw/bolt

Oh YEAH Paul! YES! Precision made tools especially small hex or torx bits are definitely worth the extra cost in my humble opinion 👍

Thanks for the update and link to the MIP driver set. I just purchased it to try myself for my situation. I need a quality set myself because I almost stripped another little grub screw today doing something else. I hate working with these tiny screws.

I have not delved into it that far, yet. There are adjustments for both the 1st and 2nd stages, but I have not touched them to see how they affect it. Thus far I have only swapped the grub screws that change it from the standard configuration to the match configuration and adjusted the trigger post forward about a ¼".

Reactions: mubhaur