Anyone Take a Daystate Huntsman Moderator Apart??? (NOW FIXED)

Was out shooting my Daystate Huntsman Regal XL yesterday. Bought it new from Airguns of Arizona, but hadn't shot it much yet.

Was getting flyers, 1/2-1" from the group, mostly around 10:00. Checked moderator and saw this:

IMG_0787.1600815329.JPG

Sent pic to AOA and they essentially replied 'Yup, you've got clipping and the moderator needs to be milled out a bit.' Led me to believe that it was not a warranty issue even though the gun is less than 2 months old.

I asked if the moderator was Loktited on, and would be removable using a heat gun. AOA replied yup, and that there would be a 1/2x20 fitting under it.

So I heated it up, and was able to unscrew it. Pics below of moderator in place, and removed:

IMG_0792.1600815470.JPG

IMG_0791.1600815482.JPG

So this was not what I was expecting to find. I thought that the shroud would terminate in a 1/2x20 male fitting. Do I need to take the moderator apart to get what I need in order to attach a larger caliber Donny? Anyone done this before, and have any hints? Or was AOA incorrect in telling me that a standard 1/2x20 fitting was available under the Huntsman moderator?

Any help appreciated!

Wrong part unscrewed off. It took off the factory 1/2unfx20 threaded adaptor from the shroud!

You need to red locktite it back on and let it set for a day then unscrew the Airstream LDC off of that. That part remains permanent to the shroud. You want it that way or else you will forever unscrew it completely off again with your new LDC if you don't permanently red locktite it.

Screenshot_2020-09-22-13-14-38.1600816852.png

Reactions: dgeesaman
It looks like you have unscrewed the moderator body, but the base still needs to be unscrewed from the barrel, which is where the heat is needed. I would recommend against using any type of thread locking compound anywhere, it's not needed.

Apply heat to the base until it frees from the barrel. This takes rather high heat. I recently needed to unscrew the moderator from my HW100, and it took serious heat from a torch.

It looks like you have unscrewed the moderator body, but the base still needs to be unscrewed from the barrel, which is where the heat is needed. I would recommend against using any type of thread locking compound anywhere, it's not needed.

Apply heat to the base until it frees from the barrel. This takes rather high heat. I recently needed to unscrew the moderator from my HW100, and it took serious heat from a torch.

I think I will be good with the DonnyFL adapter.

The shroud actually has internal threads:

IMG_0793.1600822067.JPG

The DFL adapter looks like it will fit right into these threads and give me the mount point I need:

DFL Huntsman.1600822098.jpg

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR RESPONSES!

I hadn't known that DonnyFL made a Huntsman adapter until it was pointed out in the linked thread.

One should be heading my direction in tomorrow's mail.

Thanks again.

You don't need to buy an adapter. Your gun already has it but it's screwed into your LDC you removed. Locktite the threads back in let it set a day then unscrew the Airstream LDC off. You will see that you Don't need to buy any adapter. Your gun already has one.

If You just follow simple instructions you will probably save $50.00.

TMH,,, I wouldn't say the moderator is "junk" there are better out there for sure. I put a Hugget on my Huntsman and it was quieter than the OEM. Even if you are replacing the moderator. I would send this one to AOA and ask for them to make it right. They boast about being sure there is no clipping before they ship a rifle. I am sure they will make it right.

edit because of spelling

O.K. Odoyle, you win!

I got that bastage apart. That grey or white colored thread locker they used was quite some stuff. Must be NASA grade. As noted above, this was no heat gun thread locker, torch was necessary - twice. Even after I saw it bubbling out after the first heating it still wouldn't budge so I heated it again and it finally gave way.

So here is the business end of a Huntsman Regal wearing a Tanto instead instead of the OEM Daystate 'Clipper'. Note the caliber of the Tanto. Now I get to shoot the gun tomorrow... and decide whether I need to go to one of my .30 sized moderators.😉

IMG_0794.1600830824.JPG

Hooray - No more clipping/flyers! Now I get to (have to) own all stray shots and can't blame the gun any more. Also found out this morning that it likes Daystate Sovereigns (8.44 gr) which is great since I have a bunch of those. I have new love for my Huntsman! Although not loud with the .25 Tanto, next is to try a .22 Tanto and see if there is any clipping. Gun is .177 cal.

IMG_0798.1600880955.JPG

My 177 Airwolf (also has a Lothar Walther barrel) likes those JSB Exact 8.44gr relabeled Daystate Sovereign pellets and the Kaisers (H&N FTTs). You can also try the JSB 8.44gr and Air Arms 8.4gr as well as 7.4gr Crosman Pointed (not the 7.9gr Premier Super Points that really suck) and 10.5 Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums (not the Piranha they suck too) and even try the cheap Wal-Mart Premier Hollowpoints and if it doesn't like them try the Benjamin labeled 7.9gr Hollowpoints in the 750 count tins.

Post a picture of that Airstream AFTER THE FACT...

...Post a picture of that Airstream AFTER THE FACT...

Interesting thread. I don't find my .22 Regal XL with the Reflex loud at all. It is quieter with a Weihrauch on it, but not enough to offset the extra length when in the field.

Knowing that I just needed to access the one interior part and not caring much about the mod itself, I just attacked it with heat gun, channel-locks and even a hammer/punch, until I got the innerds out and attacked those with the torch. The front and rear caps are not threaded but are glued in. 

IMG_0799.1600895936.JPG

Regarding the noise, no that was never an issue with my gun. But the pellet clipping causing random poor accuracy was. And the extra length in its current, accurate and repeatable condition is less than 2" longer than OEM. 

In hindsight if I had the tools, fixtures and knowledge I guess I could have reamed out the OEM moderator to open it up enough to hopefully eliminate the clipping. And AOA ultimately offered to mill it out for me if I had mailed it into them. 

i really need some help with my daystate huntsman regal .22 cal. mine is clipping inside the hole of the moderator on the adapter. you might have to blow the picture up so you can see where it's clipping. i will try to post picture so anyone can see it. i would sure appreciate any help. i have tried just about everything except a brand new shroud. which what i might have to do next unless someone has some great idea's. hoping to save me some $$$ if possible.

clipping on adapter.JPG

Attachments

• adapter .22.jpg
    adapter .22.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 23
  • adapter 1.jpg
    adapter 1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited: