Anyone using 22 cal Field Target Trophies at 50 yards and beyond?

I have pretty decent accuracy with them at 25 yards. Outside the occasional lucky group accuracy at 50 yards is poor. I'm getting wildly varying POI at 50 yards. I'm wondering if these pellets destabilize at longer distances and or slower velocities?? I don't want to condemn the gun if could be these pellets. Unfortunately I dont have any other 22 pellets on hand to try.

This was in dead calm conditions. Muzzle velocity is around 740 fps.

Thanks

These are mine at 50 yards. 25 cal though.

Horrible.

IMG_4297.jpeg

Reactions: Mycapt65
I have pretty decent accuracy with them at 25 yards. Outside the occasional lucky group accuracy at 50 yards is poor. I'm getting wildly varying POI at 50 yards. I'm wondering if these pellets destabilize at longer distances and or slower velocities?? I don't want to condemn the gun if could be these pellets. Unfortunately I dont have any other 22 pellets on hand to try.

Thanks
They have a pretty poor BC which is likely the cause of your issues at 50 meters.

The only .22 pellet that is really viable at 16fpe and 50m is the JSB heavy

They have a pretty poor BC which is likely the cause of your issues at 50 meters.

The only .22 pellet that is really viable at 16fpe and 50m is the JSB heavy
Thanks I'm hesitant to go with the JSBs. I've tested their 13.73, 14.35 and 15.89. At short range their accuracy was worse than the FTTs in several 22 weihrauchs. Also none of them made the close to the power as the 14.66 FTTs. The heavies (18gr?) might fly straighter longer but probably sap alot of power. Its funny how JSBs are the most efficient and accurate in my 177 Weihrauchs and not even close in my 22 Weihrauchs. I think the jsb skirts are too thin. Both the H&N and RWS have worked better at shorter ranges and they both have thicker skirts.

I'm reluctantly gonna by some crosmans from Walmart today.

Thanks I'm hesitant to go with the JSBs. I've tested their 13.73, 14.35 and 15.89. At short range their accuracy was worse than the FTTs in several 22 weihrauchs. Also none of them made the close to the power as the 14.66 FTTs. The heavies (18gr?) might fly straighter longer but probably sap alot of power. Its funny how JSBs are the most efficient and accurate in my 177 Weihrauchs and not even close in my 22 Weihrauchs. I think the jsb skirts are too thin. Both the H&N and RWS have worked better at shorter ranges and they both have thicker skirts.

I'm reluctantly gonna by some crosmans from Walmart today.

they wont take away from your power.
they will still shoot at the same (possibly very slightly more) fpe as your current pellets.

and a heavier pellet will retain more of its velocity at distance.

a light pellet slows down faster.

I n my HW .22 Ive found the H&N shoot a tiny bit better than JSB at 25 yards. But past 50 the JSB are better. The 15.6 gives you a lot more trajectory. But they land closer together. They are longer than an H&N and I suspect this is why they are more accurate at range.

The JSB have a lot of bent skirts. They are expensive. But they are definitely more stable at range in my rifles. And the H&N don't perform really well past 60. They both will shoot within 1" at 50. About the same as far as I can tell but I suspect the JSB may have the edge.

Once in a while I'll shoot a super tight pattern at 50 with either. Many times I'll shoot dismal patterns too. But overall these are my observations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mycapt65
The favorite pellet of my Prod is the copper plated H&N FTT. It does not care for the unplated ones but shoots the copper plated great. Velocity is about 750 fps (I've retuned it and opened up the transfer port). I rarely shoot it at more than 35 yards but I have. It was several years ago. I don't think they grouped well or really poorly but it's been so long my memory is not dependable. Wind drift would probably not be much lower than a 177 due to the low velocity and not so great bc. My best guess is that it was fairly windy when I did it and groups were at least a couple inches. But they were not going through the target sideways nor could I see any spiraling. I don't think they were unstable.

Thanks
i use FTT's but .177 @ 50 yards and beyond all the time great pellets in my guns .