❓Are there any NVD's (Night Vision Devices) with TURRETS?

I just took a poke at a pigeon with a sub-12 gun, at 75m.
Strelok spit out a holdover of 8.3mil.

But the Zulus 5-20x only gives me about 4mil holdover when at 20x.

🔶 Yupp, I know some comments that might be coming now:
▪ Don't shoot that far!
▪ Use a higher powered gun!
▪ Dial down the magnification to 10x!

Sorry, not helpful.... 🤷🏻‍♂️

🔶 Now, if this was the version with the LRF the crosshairs would simply adjust to the range and I could just shoot without holdover. Granted.
But I really like my turrets — I'm a hard core turret dialer..... 😵‍💫 (Can you see how even my eyes are swirling and turning, just like my scopes' turrets....?!)

❓ So: Are there any NVD with turrets, or buttons, to adjust elevation on the fly without having to go through 3 or 4 level-deep menus?

Thanks for your input... — I'm new to this night vision stuff.... 😊

Matthias

Last edited:

▪ Don't shoot that far!

🔶 Now, if this was the version with the LRF the crosshairs would simply adjust to the range and I could just shoot without holdover. Granted.
But I really like my turrets — I'm a hard core turret dialer..... 😵‍💫 (Do you see how even even my eyes are swirling and turning, just like my scopes' turrets....?!)

❓ So: Are there any NVD with turrets, or buttons that do the same as turrets?

Thanks for you input, I'm new to this night vision stuff....

Matthias
I use a coldshot mil adjustable base..Put your thermal or nightvision on top and dial...I have a sightmark wraith on mine..Works great day and night very repeatable..

▪ Don't shoot that far!

But I really like my turrets — I'm a hard core turret dialer..... 😵‍💫 (Do you see how even even my eyes are swirling and turning, just like my scopes' turrets....?!)

❓ So: Are there any NVD with turrets, or buttons that do the same as turrets?

Thanks for you input, I'm new to this night vision stuff....

Matthias

The new Holosun night vision unit has turrets but they are the typical flush type found on red dots and prismatics. I do not believe they'd be convenient for dialing in the field.

Some time ago I watched a video on the Pard DS35 or maybe the thermal equivalent and I think the knobs that looked liked turrets were actually a button that allowed you to pick windage or elevation and then allowed you to adjust from there. I did not watch the video closely but it did not seem convenient to me for use in the field.

Lastly, a front or rear clip on device would allow you to use the turrets on your scope. In a recent thread here on AGN somebody mentioned using rear clip ons for this reason. I will try to find the thread and tag the member shortly.

Reactions: DesertSilver
The new Holosun night vision unit has turrets but they are the typical flush type found on red dots and prismatics. I do not believe they'd be convenient for dialing in the field.

Some time ago I watched a video on the Pard DS35 or maybe the thermal equivalent and I think the knobs that looked liked turrets were actually a button that allowed you to pick windage or elevation and then allowed you to adjust from there. I did not watch the video closely but it did not seem convenient to me for use in the field.

Lastly, a front or rear clip on device would allow you to use the turrets on your scope. In a recent thread here on AGN somebody mentioned using rear clip ons for this reason. I will try to find the thread and tag the member shortly.

Thank you for your input! 👍🏼

Yeah, the rear clip-ons and front clip-ons allow you to use all the wonderful features of your expensive scope — including turrets.

BUT:
● The whole contraption makes for a fairly impact sensitive array (not great for dynamic hunting).
● And it makes a small gun look like the Hubble telescope engineers tried their hand at scope design: Imagine the monstrosity of a foot and a half length living on my dainty 13" pistol!

I have taken a liking to tiny little night vision scopes like the Zulus.... 😃

Matthias

Reactions: Scouty
I use a coldshot mil adjustable base..Put your thermal or nightvision on top and dial...I have a sightmark wraith on mine..Works great day and night very repeatable..

Yeah, that is a good idea, an elevation adjustable base that includes turrets for repeatable adjustments. 👍🏼
Thanks!

It's quite a piece of equipment to mount on a dainty pistol, though.
And I was attempting to mount the Zulus as low as possible... — these adjustable bases, due to their gears, usually raise the scope by quite a bit.

Matthias

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Mmmm, I wonder if I'm looking for an NVD made from unobtainium....

And if I simply need to upgrade to a Zulus with rangefinder and be done.... 😆

Matthias

PS: Yeah, if this sounds like self-deceptive talk to justify spending money, it does because it probably is.
You know?: You recognized that kind of talk with such ease since you have much practice using this time-honored technique.... 😉

well I have the same problem with my ATN: manual overriding of adjusting on the calculated holdovers is not possible. One workaround could be to manually increase the distance until the holdover matches Strelok.
But turrets would be way better indeed, although no one on the market seems to offer this.
An easy fix for incorrect holdovers on ATNs/Zulus and other ballistic calculating scopes is to slightly adjust the entered BC. Say your zero distance is 20m, the impact/holdover should be spot on (as you zero the reticle at that distance yourself) now shoot farther say 50 or 75 or 100m and see where the impact point in relation to the reticle is. If it’s a little higher than what the reticle indicates (meaning the pellet flies a flatter trajectory) increase the BC in the scope a tad until the impact point coincides with the reticle at that distance. And if the POI is lower, lower the BC until the reticle overlays the POI. Problem solved!

Reactions: Hal4son

Matthias

PS: Yeah, if this sounds like self-deceptive talk to justify spending money, it does because it probably is.
You know?: You recognized that kind of talk with such ease since you have much practice using this time-honored technique.... 😉
Yes, the Zulus form factor and features are game changers for me. I own the basic 5-20x non LRF model… It has been simply murder on the rats I go after. I almost, almost feel bad for them as the Zulus has proven quite effective out to 40 yards atop my Atomic XR… Can’t resist showing it off.🤓🙈🫣😈🙏
IMG_0122.jpeg

I own the basic 5-20x non LRF model… It has been simply murder on the rats I go after.

Luis, 👍🏼

I'm glad you enjoy it so much. 😃 It's amazingly small, great for ultra compact guns.

I see your Zulus is mounted quite high.
So, without having the LRF version — how do you compensate for close range shots on rats?
Or are your close shots still within the point blank range?

Matthias

I go about it two different ways, I have different profiles that cover the ranges I engage rats at, 10-40 yards. The profiles each have a different color reticle. For instance my “yellow horseshoe” reticle is for sub 10 yards. The changing of profiles in the dark becomes intuitive, but its understood the LRF model would be way more effective at varying ranges… What I did before my last outing was zero one reticle at 20 yards, using the hash marks, holding under at sub 10 yards, centerpoint at 25-30 yards, and holding over for the rare 40 yard shots. My typical kill distances are 20-30 yards… The scope appears mounted higher than it is. It sits atop a DT to picatinny adapter, and then the Zulus and its mount. A better side shot… Can’t resist showing her off.
IMG_1515.jpeg

Matthias

You're forcing me to think about changes for a new patent idea. I haven't got the prototype done for the 2nd one yet. My new design would mount under the air tube and require the bipod to be mounted on the sides with M-lock mounts.

And I do want to know where the unobtainium element is on the periodic chart! It has to be very rare, and I would invest in that.

Self-deceptive talk is like using a different door to get into the bank vault without acknowledging you are committing a crime. It is always enjoyable to witness how solutions are developed to solve all our minor problems. The entertainment value from your new purchase along with the new knowledge you gain far exceeds the minuscule cost. Nothing is ever free! I have confidence that you will solve yours, Mathias.

Talk at you later, Brad

Reactions: L.Leon
You're forcing me to think about changes for a new patent idea. I haven't got the prototype done for the 2nd one yet. My new design would mount under the air tube and require the bipod to be mounted on the sides with M-lock mounts.

Talk at you later, Brad
Let me know if you need a Patent Lawyer. I have two Patents now and all in he's charged less than $7,000 for both.

Smitty

I like the adjustable base idea 👍. Agree no turrets is a big negative of these things. Would just be nice to have the ability to make a couple quick click adjustments on the fly. The one shot zero feature on these devices sound like the greatest thing ever at first ….but it isn’t.
It is fairly easy to get to the reticle menus and make X and Y adjustments… the turrets would simply add bulk to the unit…

Reactions: Dairyboy
Let me know if you need a Patent Lawyer. I have two Patents now and all in he's charged less than $7,000 for both.

Smitty
If you like the idea of a new thread for patent talk, I would be open for that. Some members may not have an interest in the subject, and I wouldn't want to hijack this thread. I've got plenty of ideas and stories to tell. I'm interested in your patent's concepts and the challenges that you may have gone through. Let me know. Brad

It is fairly easy to get to the reticle menus and make X and Y adjustments… the turrets would simply add bulk to the unit…
Maybe but it is a super downside to have to go to the menu and do that if you want to go equivalent to 3 clicks on a regular scope. It’s a hassle to me. Guess I just like to dial. Truth is I don’t care for mine except maybe shooting at night which I have yet to try. Hopefully I like it in the dark.

Maybe but it is a super downside to have to go to the menu and do that if you want to go equivalent to 3 clicks on a regular scope. It’s a hassle to me. Guess I just like to dial. Truth is I don’t care for mine except maybe shooting at night which I have yet to try. Hopefully I like it in the dark.
Using it in the dark, plinking or killing rats is where it really shines for me. It is a specialized tool for me.,,

Well, last week I went out to look for rats.
Again.
And again — came up empty.

There must be a 6th rat sense — somehow they know(!) that a German in Peru is trying to kill them with a gun from Slovenia aiming through a scope from China, shooting lead from the Czech Republic.
I just love globalization, even for killing....! 😃

Anyhow....
I will try Dave's idea of having a zero profile for different ranges — and just learn to push the buttons fast....
Or to zero at a range that will make my holdover and holdunder marks more intuitive.

When and if I ever find rats, that is. 😆

❓ Can anyone recommend a strong red light, maybe even with a remote pressure switch ("rat tail"). I have one that works pretty good, but is a bit weak in its beam.

Cheers,

Matthias