Are you shooting right or left handed? Or both?

Right-handed and right-eye-dominant. I keep both eyes open for shooting.

I shoot pistols both LH and RH but rifle is too awkward, so only RH for that.

When I did a lot of photography, I focused using my left eye on the viewfinder.

I practice both sides as much as possible in all sports that allow it. Works great for kayaking in all strokes and rolling. Whatever rolling side I practiced more became dominant unless I did both sides in roughly equal amounts. Pseudo-ambidexterity can be learned and improved, but if you stop practicing for a while, your inherently dominant side reasserts itself. But even “pseudo” is very helpful when using hand tools in awkward positions, or when one side is injured.

Unfortunately, my right eye’s astigmatism and cataract are worse than the left eye’s.

BTW, practicing both sides helps for figuring out things that seem weird. For example, I noticed with both PB and air pistol that RH shots often tended to hit left of aim point, and LH shots often tended to hit right of aim point. The wind was not reversing that many times! It had to be either my overall body stance or natural tendencies in hold. (The difference was not there, or was less, when shooting off a front rest.)

Last edited:
Well, today I had an operation where they put a metal plate and screws in my right wrist. Even left hand shooting will be difficult unless I do bench resting. So for the next few months shooting is a no-no for left or right hand shooting.

Heal up, you only get 1 body. During your down time, you'll be able to run circles in your mind with potential mods, new purchases, or even rigging up a system that lets you shoot without putting strain on your wrist.

-Matt

1️⃣ For shorter, lighter guns
I have a gun hold I call the "Full Field Rest FFR".

It's a position or technique where I press the gun* against a soft bag — that holds the gun steady on an object (tree, door frame, fence).
*(the scope and action of the gun, somewhere close to its balance point)

As right-handed shooter I prefer to do use my left hand to press the gun against the bag & object. The right hand really only pulls the trigger. It's a very stable position.
🔺 However, sometimes the object is on the left ("wrong") side. Then, I use my right hand for pressing the gun against the bag and object, and the left (non-dominant) pulls the trigger.
It requires more concentration, but it works well.

2️⃣ For shooting pistols offhand when I don't have an object to rest the gun on —
▪ I point the gun to the left, holding it across my chest, right (dominant) hand on the trigger.
▪ Then I rest the barrel/ airtube inside the ellbow joint.
▪ My left arm/hand reaches over to my right biceps and locks the position.
▪ My right trigger hand rests on my chest.

🔺 In this position my left (non-dominant) eye is easier to place before the ocular than my right — I need to turn my head less.
So that's what I do....

Two pigeons just found out how steady this hold is.... 😉

Matthias

Last edited: