ARES ETR UHD 4.5-30×56 thoughts?

I have an ETR on my 6.5 Creedmoor. Its a great scope with decent glass, an extremely usable reticle, and dead on nuts turrets. The two down sides are it is heavy and while the turrets are very tactile (positive and audible clicks) they are a bit stiff but you get used to it. Also, minimum parallax is 25yds which really isn't a deal breaker for me unless I was going to use it for field target. For hunting and general plinking usage it would work absolutely fine.

Reactions: 2L8
I purchased one..to see if it was really 2 times better than the ep5 thanks to God it came bronze, I send it back same day..it was not even better than the sh4 4x16 .could I see a big difference absolutely not .. some better focus pas 700y yes .. so unless I buy a pcp that consistently shoots 700y + I stay with the arken.. and if pcps gets that good you bet I buy a March or something like that..

I purchased one..to see if it was really 2 times better than the ep5 thanks to God it came bronze, I send it back same day..it was not even better than the sh4 4x16 .could I see a big difference absolutely not .. some better focus pas 700y yes .. so unless I buy a pcp that consistently shoots 700y + I stay with the arken.. and if pcps gets that good you bet I buy a March or something like that..
Thank you!! Everything I have seen so far, says Arken EP5 is the best bang for the buck (its heavy., but at that price point who cares) The EP5 has better optics is what I have heard. I have been going back and forth on this. Utha airguns told me the ARES ETR UHD was far better than their knowledge, but I wanted to make sure. I know they don't sell the Arken, hopefully, I can give them some feedback on what I have gathered.

I have owned both. The Ares ETR is a nice scope, but I think it is overpriced. In its price range, the competition is very stiff. Is it nicer than the Arken? I do think it is, but not worth the price increase. This is from someone who doesn’t mind paying up for scopes. I own and have owned $2500-$3500 scopes.

If I were going to spend $900 or more on a scope, I would buy a used Cronus with that $900-1000 and be stoked! Otherwise, I would personally go lower, probably the Arken EP5, or pay up to a Cronus. Unless SFP is useful to you, and then I would pick up one of those on the $900-1000 price range.

One more thing to note, and I always try to say it when people ask… only you will know if it is worth it. Your eyes make the decision. We all don’t agree and we don’t agree even on $3k scopes, if that tells you anything.

Don’t go into it thinking you are going to get the perfect scope the first try. I started out that way and was very disappointed. Since then, I have made a point to buy used, and but a lot, to test out a wide range of scopes. Some people loved some and I didn’t. It is hard when you don’t have local stores to test them out. Don’t be afraid to buy used and sell or trade if you don’t like it.

And see Douger if you need an Arken.

I'd like to add something to the mix here just because I think this is being overlooked. Yes nice glass is important but what makes the ETR as expensive as it is is the erector system. It will click exactly 1/4 MOA or 1/10 MIL every single time without fail. That adds $$ to the end cost.

Thats really all I wanted to add to the conversation here. Arken makes a darn great optic for the money and honestly for most airgun use the SH4 is more than most people will ever need or want. They were running a pretty solid special on it but I'm not sure if they still include the free bundle.

Reactions: 2L8
Thank you!! Everything I have seen so far, says Arken EP5 is the best bang for the buck (its heavy., but at that price point who cares) The EP5 has better optics is what I have heard. I have been going back and forth on this. Utha airguns told me the ARES ETR UHD was far better than their knowledge, but I wanted to make sure. I know they don't sell the Arken, hopefully, I can give them some feedback on what I have gathered.
Weight is really important.. at 2 pounds.. what matters is in which rifle is going to.. if is bench rifle , with a heavy bipod etc is a great option.. if it goes in a compact gun..uragan compact.. Fx compact.. rti compact.. will make the rifle ridiculously top heavy..and unfriendly to use ..each scope has a different use depending on rifle size , n purposes .. if you even plan on making of hand shoots.. then a lighter scope will be better... If I try use even the 4x16.. in my compact. 177 cricket..that is 25" long.. it goes from a rifle I want to use every time I could , with the old Arken 4x14... to I don't want to touch that thing, with the 2 pound scope..

Last edited:
Weight is really important.. at 2 pounds.. what matters is in which rifle is going to.. if is bench rifle , with a heavy bipod etc is a great option.. if it goes in a compact gun..uragan compact.. Fx compact.. rti compact.. will make the rifle ridiculously top heavy..and unfriendly to use ..each scope has a different use depending on rifle size , n purposes .. if you even plan on making of hand shoots.. then a lighter scope will be better... If I try use even the 4x16.. in my compact. 177 cricket..that is 25" long.. it goes from a rifle I want to use every time I could , with the old Arken 4x14... to I don't want to touch that thing, with the 2 pound scope..
Thank you. I have an M3 and want to mount it on that and get into bench shooting maybe one day shoot at RMAC or if there are similar competitions near me in Santa Barbara CA do that with the M3 on 30 cal.

Reactions: mercado
I have an ETR on my 6.5 Creedmoor. Its a great scope with decent glass, an extremely usable reticle, and dead on nuts turrets. The two down sides are it is heavy and while the turrets are very tactile (positive and audible clicks) they are a bit stiff but you get used to it. Also, minimum parallax is 25yds which really isn't a deal breaker for me unless I was going to use it for field target. For hunting and general plinking usage it would work absolutely fine.
Agree with @Sqwirlfugger57. Excellent optics for the price point. CA is A+ for the price point. Eyebox works well up to about 24x, but, not a $3k+ scope. At the low/mid 30oz range for the price point it is a good option.
Mine is a beautiful scope that I will keep to put on special guns...

Patrick

Reactions: Sqwirl57
I hadn't bought a non Athlon scope in the ETR price range in years so I got a Vector Continental 5-30 to have a comparison of sorts. I'll start off by mentioning i love the larger center dot in its reticle and the lighter weight for this class of scope, also it focuses at 10y. However it isn't on the level of the ETR in turrets or IQ. It more closely compared to my Helos G2 6-24 except the Helos has better turrets.

I suppose I should try Arken next.

But the G2 Cronus is easy to like and worth the extra money over the ETR to me. The PRS guys use this scope a lot because it's not far behind much more expensive scopes.

Glass wise I like Midas TAC 5-25 for the price.

Reactions: mikewhisky