Ataman, AP 16 owners, question

AP16 full set.1639409968.jpg

One pistol, two chamber-tubes, barrel assemblies, set-screws, and minutes to swap. I've been a T/C Contender enthusiast for a half-century, so how could I possibly resist the AP16?

Ha, I swapped it a couple times when I first got it, but it stays with the short set up most of the time now. I have a drop-down leg holster that fits is nicely, so if I'm tromping around in the woods, I keep it on me for snakes and other small vermin. It is pretty quick and easy to swap to the longer set up, you just have to remember to cock it before swapping the air cylinder, or you'll be refilling it!

Though I do very little hunting anymore, most of my shooting is driven by a lifetime of hunting passion that still translates into preferences for hunting-oriented equipment. So after buying the long AP16 and loving it so much, I couldn't resist also getting a short barrel and tube. Set that up for (less sniping-type) practical hunting scenarios, including offhand shooting. Hence the non magnifying red-dot sight, that I consider the best arrangement for most offhand pistol shooting.

But after using the shorter, red-dot set-up for awhile (and not hunting with it yet), and missing the long-range precision of the longer, 2-7X scoped set-up, I swapped back to that. Not sure why I love shooting air pistols at 50 yards so much; probably just one of my many bizarre idiosyncrasies. Regardless, I love powerful guns, particularly powerful air pistols, and especially, powerful air pistols that shoot sub-1" groups at 50 yards.

But should I have the need or desire, it's nice to have the option of swapping to the shorter arrangement in a couple minutes, and knowing it is already sighted in. Call me crazy...

And I'll answer to that.

Reactions: Hornclayton
This is my Ataman AP16 .22cal , fitted with homemade birch grips, red dot and a Weirauch moderator . Above is an adaptable shoulder stock from Ataman ; it's made of anodised black aluminium and is really well finished.I put the stock when it's time to protect my cherry trees against starlings!

With the shoulder stock it's quite accurate up to 30-40 yards , shooting JSB RS 13,45 gr.

Really a very fine pistol .

A little more info along the same lines. This moderator is a stackable FX small diameter about 1 1/8". Using only the front and back end caps (O.A.L 2 1/2") using my phone DB meter it was 107.1 down to 83.9 w/ moderator, no baffles in the moderator. Weighs in at 1.1 oz. Does not make pistol nose heavy. Works Great. Center sections can be added.

100_1469.1639942425.JPG
100_1470.1639942443.JPG
100_1471.1639942455.JPG

As far as the suppressors go, like FLgunner, I have a single segment Huma on my AP 16 Compact. It does a very good job of calming the bark, and as you can see above, the length and diameter...fit...the gun. It also doesn't add much weight, it's still an easy hold.

Ataman, AP16, .177.1639951265.JPG

Well...as far as buying another AP 16 now, looks like that's on hold for a while. I just bought a new rifle instead.

Mike

Reactions: Hornclayton
Although the first thing that comes to mind when I visit the Air Pistols section is my AP16, higher airgun priorities have precluded my shooting it for too long. So with the long arrangement in place I decided to install a 4-12X rifle scope for another/additional 'perspective' at 50 yards. Finally got great wind conditions tonight. Six consecutive five-shot groups at 50 yards averaged .90" c-t-c with 18.13 JSBs at 628 FPS/15.9 FP; the best accuracy I've gotten yet with my AP. 

Problem is, every group included a called flier. Albeit none were bad fliers; but I sensed the widest shot of every group as soon as those shots broke. I truly believe this combination capable of averaging 1/2" groups at 50 yards... If I was up to it. But since I'm probably not, the carrot now is 3/4" average over at least three consecutive five-shot groups. 

If you don't see it posted, you'll know why.

Tonight's best target-

AP16 50.1641873781.jpg

Seeing AirNGasmans, scoped AP16, makes me feel better about my messing around with my AP16 last night. I ended up with a "spare" Trijicon MRO (green dot, "rifle" sight) sight. Though I do need to do some base swapping to lower the sight, the bore to sight centerlines are still sorta far apart...I thought ! Seeing this picture makes me feel better, it's even more of a distance than mine is.

Thanks for the picture AirN.

AP16 50.1641873781.jpg

Mike

"Thanks for the picture AirN." Sure Mike, how 'bout a photo of your's with the Trijicon MRO? I'm not familiar with that.

FWIW, I almost always try to mount optics as close to the bore (and low center-of-gravity) as possible with the variety of mounts I keep on hand. For instance, the front bell of that 4-12X rifle scope is only about 1/8" off the top of the shroud.

Some guns don't allow such low scope mounting, but I still put 'em low as possible to still be comfortable. Example-

AEA V16.1641928459.jpg

P.S.- I'm all about photos. Probably a carry-over from my adolescent fixation with picture-"books"..