Athlon Heras-Mini review

My favorite scope magnification for most of my shooting is 6-24X. I’ve owned a lot of scopes on my airguns over the years including Hawke, Optisan, Sightron, Aztec, Arken, Bushnell, and Athlon. I’ve peered through some of my friends Nightforces, Marches and Elements, neither of which I’m too crazy about for various reasons. Some work better in certain applications and I’ll stick with them, but until now, my overall favorite is the Athlon Midas-Tac 6-24X50. The Midas is an FFP scope and I’d rather have a SFP anytime. I like to see a full size reticle in every magnification. When shooting HFT, a reticle that fills the whole image is best for holdover.

When Athlon announced the new Heras series designed specifically for us airgunners and even rimfire shooters, my interest jumped particularly since it has a 30 MM tube (don’t like the 34), focuses down to 10 yards, AND is available in SFP as well as FFP. Since I’m a vet, I was able to get a nice discount, so I had to have one for my collection. I bought the HERAS SPR 6-24×56 APLR7 SFP IR MOA model. I don’t have it mounted as yet, but did a side-by-side comparison with my Midas-Tac mounted on my FX Crown. Here’s what I think:

1. Made in China, but aren’t most of them these days? Quality, fit and finish are excellent.

2. Reticle is perfect for me. Just a little thicker and darker than the Midas, and not too busy.

3. Windage knob is locking

4. Turrets are nice and large and have very crisp clicks.

5. FOV is wider than the Midas

6. Brightness and optical clarity right to the edges at maximum magnification are there with the best.

7. Focusing is crisp and snaps in and out as good as my old Hawke Sidewinder which I still like.

8. Wonder of wonders-included are lens covers and sunshade!

9. My only criticism is that it’s rather porky at 32 ounces.

10. Price? MSRP is $737.49, but I’m sure the optic discounters will make that more palatable.

In my estimation, Athlon hit a home run with this scope, for me, at least.

Athlon Heras SPR 6-24X56 SFP.jpg

My favorite scope magnification for most of my shooting is 6-24X. I’ve owned a lot of scopes on my airguns over the years including Hawke, Optisan, Sightron, Aztec, Arken, Bushnell, and Athlon. I’ve peered through some of my friends Nightforces, Marches and Elements, neither of which I’m too crazy about for various reasons. Some work better in certain applications and I’ll stick with them, but until now, my overall favorite is the Athlon Midas-Tac 6-24X50. The Midas is an FFP scope and I’d rather have a SFP anytime. I like to see a full size reticle in every magnification. When shooting HFT, a reticle that fills the whole image is best for holdover.

When Athlon announced the new Heras series designed specifically for us airgunners and even rimfire shooters, my interest jumped particularly since it has a 30 MM tube (don’t like the 34), focuses down to 10 yards, AND is available in SFP as well as FFP. Since I’m a vet, I was able to get a nice discount, so I had to have one for my collection. I bought the HERAS SPR 6-24×56 APLR7 SFP IR MOA model. I don’t have it mounted as yet, but did a side-by-side comparison with my Midas-Tac mounted on my FX Crown. Here’s what I think:

1. Made in China, but aren’t most of them these days? Quality, fit and finish are excellent.

2. Reticle is perfect for me. Just a little thicker and darker than the Midas, and not too busy.

6. Brightness and optical clarity right to the edges at maximum magnification are there with the best.

7. Focusing is crisp and snaps in and out as good as my old Hawke Sidewinder which I still like.

10. Price? MSRP is $737.49, but I’m sure the optic discounters will make that more palatable.

View attachment 342467OH thankyou this is very interesting

Thank you for the write up! I just picked up the 2-12x Heras and I am very impressed.
I am mulling over my next purchase, and it will be an Athlon, but not the Heras, but the Midas BTR G2 HD SPF. 26 oz instead of the hefty Heras. I am assuming that the point of manufacture is not China, but Japan??
The Midas BTR only focuses down to 30 yd FYI. Otherwise, it is a good scope, I'm sure.

Nice review!

The only thing I can add is when I tested all the Heras preproduction line I noticed a distinct advantage going to the SFP 6-24 over the FFP 6-24 in IQ. This might help people in their decision making as they wade through their scope purchasing research.

I found the Heras 2-12 to have above average IQ which surprised me. It reminded me of my old B&L 2.5-8 from my youth and also like a Bushnell 3-12 LRHS as far as glass goes. IMHO less compromised visually compared to the shortest scopes I've looked through.

Thank you for the write up! I just picked up the 2-12x Heras and I am very impressed.
I am mulling over my next purchase, and it will be an Athlon, but not the Heras, but the Midas BTR G2 HD SPF. 26 oz instead of the hefty Heras. I am assuming that the point of manufacture is not China, but Japan??
I could be wrong but, I thought the Cronus is/was the only Athlon that is NOT made in China.

View attachment 342467
Thank you for the excellent review. This is exactly my thought process as well except I'm interested in the MIL APRS8 reticle variant. The SFP, ilumination, and 56mm objective(better for ranging because of the shallower depth of view) are the small details that make this Heras better suited for my purposes than the Midas Tac.