Athlon Optics Midas HMR 2.5-15x50 - AHMR SFP IR MOA?

I bought one from camera land when they had a good sale on them here while back. I was immediately impressed with the glass. That scope did not track well so I contacted Athlon they had me send it in. They tested it and it did have a problem. They called me and I was impressed with their customer service. They were willing to give me the value in trade or replace the scope. I chose to get another Midas HMR. They sent me a new one and again the glass is very nice. This one tracks perfect. I didn't buy it for the illumination but the illumination works pretty good I can see it in a low light area in daylight and night time it works great. The low power setting is really good for night seating. the only things that I would think could be improved is if the reticle lines were just a little wider or bolder. I can see them well better than most of my other air gun scopes, but if I could wish they would be just a tad thicker. I also like the reticle being clean, I don't care for or need a tree type. To me the spots are distracting. The other thing would be just a little more magnification. but the 2.5 is really nice on the low end. The parallax adjustment is a more forgiving type it isn't one that snaps in and out. But you can see well even if the adjustment is off a few yards so it is nice for hunting applications. Overall I am very pleased with the scope and would buy another if I had something to put it on.

Reactions: Mr.H

600.1629500728.png
moa.1629500741.png

I thought I would post this. I put both reticles of the Midas in sterlok the 600BDC reticle would be a little thicker. I think I would even like it better.

I tried to mount it on my Maximus, but I couldn’t get it to a point where it worked with the limited rail on it. To me it seemed like the eye box is a little fussy. I would prefer that the reticle had numbers to refer to if you aren’t dialing. I did get a set of BKL mounts for it to try it on a Gauntlet. Hoping the rail and the adjustable cheek riser make it easier to use. I had it on there, but I couldn’t mount it due to the barrel band interference with the medium mounts I had, so the BKL should clear it for me. I do like the glass, and the reticle isn’t so busy, the IR works nicely with the limited checking I have done.

I too bought a Midas Tac from Camera Land. Doug is absolutely awesome. If you call speak with him.

I grabbed the 6-24x50 with the #4 reticle (ALPR4) MOA - I think it is THE nicest, cleanest reticle on the market. I realize that is completely subjective but the #4 has the floating center dot (I'll put a pic below) it does not have the Crosshairs or center +

I don't have anywhere CLOSE to the experience many of you do, but I have shot thru Leupolds, Vortex (barf), Bushnell, S&B and Athlon, and aside from the S&B which was probably 10x the price, the Athlon is nicest. I think they are severely underrated!!

Athlon Reticle.1629556823.png

The parallax adjustment is a more forgiving type it isn't one that snaps in and out. But you can see well even if the adjustment is off a few yards so it is nice for hunting applications. Overall I am very pleased with the scope and would buy another if I had something to put it on.

oldsparky, you didn’t say if you tried ranging at all magnifications but sounds like maybe its not suitable for field target if it doesn’t pop in and out at 15x.

@Aimright. I wouldn't like to say the Midas wouldn't do good ranging by focusing the parallax. I have really only tried ranging on 15x. I have not been successful ranging much past 40 yards with any scope @ 16x HFT I have this on my Taipan 22 standard that I use to pest and shoot at stuff all around. Something I do like is if I am around the yard I set the focus on 35ish and can shoot most targets unless under 20. I like to walk and shoot offhand. and trying to focus standing unsupported is a challenge. So this scope is great for me. Most of the time I can range for minute of pigeon. And can set focus if need be. I hope my explanation is understandable. Sometimes I can ramble too much

Old thread but I found this info super helpful

I can't find many scopes that check as many boxes as this one

-biger ocular side (alot of buget scopes are 1.5ish this is 1.8)
-side focus
-illuminated
-wanted it to be as pard007 friendly as possible which ment lower min magnification under x4 but x3 or less even better plus a larger objective lense min 44mm...x2.5 and 50mm is perfect
-3.5 eye relief or better this is 3.9
-wide angle- could of been better here
-Parallax adjustment 10 yards or less this was right at 10

Was Also considering the hawke vantage 30 wa ir 2.5x10 but the athlon beats it out

Honestly can't find another scope that checks all the boxes that isn't a million dollars...excited to pick this up in a couple weeks