Athlon Scopes - your opinion?

Hi,

I'm looking at getting this scope - Athlon Helos BTR GEN2 2-12x42 AHMR2 0.1 MIL. Its for a vermin / hunting application anywhere between 30 to 150 meters as a maximum.

I just wondered if anyone has had any experience of this scope and wanting some feedback. The reviews look good online and I personally love the reticle.

I'm so torn between a fixed prismatic style scope & this, I love the really wide field of views of the Prim's offer, but there are times when I just need that little bit more or less magnification & I'm thinking this is a good alternative / all rounder for me.

Happy to hear of any other suggestions from anyone else or experience with Athlon scopes in general.

Thanks.
:)

That’s the one I have. Love it.
It my first ffp scope. Yes the reticle gets small @2x-4x, but if I have it that low, I am in red dot mode so it doesn’t matter. Most of my time is 10x.

Only knock is it seems heavy, like all scopes of any quality do.

Ironically I am looking for a prismatic LOL
Thanks that’s great news, yeah to be honest I’ll probably not use it on 2-4 I’ll mostly use it around 8-10 I would think, I can highly recommend Element Immersive & Immersive optics, great quality & huge FOVs, crystal clear 👍👍👌

These are crazy good very fun scopes and that's aside of how inexpensive they are!

For hunting, speed shooting on steel, Field Target pistol matches, even precision in close or at long range, I haven't found a better scope as far as versatility than my Athlon Helos G2 2-12x42 in mil, and that includes comparing it to my March DFP 1-10 shorty.

This March 1-10 has slightly better build quality and excels here and there but it costs 7 times more than the Helos. I prefer the Helos at 12x compared to my March at 10x because I use 12x the most often.

Now if Athlon made a similar Cronus G3 version. maybe a 2.2-13.2x40 with daylight bright illumination and awesome glass then I'd get me one for sure, otherwise I'm fine with my Helos G2's.

It is an awesome scope for hunting. I love the size of the dot for hunting. That is what most of the target shooters hate about this reticle, but for anything chipmunk or bigger it works great out to 150y. My eyes are going and this is one of only two FFP reticles I have that I can use in the full range of power on the scope. When at 2x with the ir on it functions like a dot, very well done design. No, it isn't a target scope, but it is the best and only scope I know of, and own, for what you say you want to use it for.

I don’t have the DMR reticle, I think it was AH something. A little Christmas tree with a big circle dot. Like Pumacarl, it’s easy for me to see.

I need a lighter option for this little porker.

IMG_3288.jpeg

Struckat, put a JSAR aluminum air cylinder on that gun! You will not believe the difference it makes. It totally changes the whole feel of the mrod, it is the single best thing, yes, even better than a sidelever would be, that you can do. I almost got that stock, but changed my mind due to how hard my bolt is to pull back. The tune is too perfect so I am not changing anything at this point. Think about this, if you put on an aluminum tube, your gun would weigh the same thing as if you were to take that scope off right now, and you wouldn't have to look for a lghter scope either.

Reactions: Struckat
Like everyone was saying, the Helos 2-12×24 is great for hunting and even target work. You can not go wrong for the price and get a lifetime warranty too. It seems a little bit heavy for it's size, but this model wasn't made to be extremely light weight. A low mount makes it feel lighter. The FFP MIL reticle is a dream for quick acquisition and the turrets work great for dialing up and down range.

Last edited:
One of Athlons best scopes I think. One of my favorite hunting scopes period. As long as you get the MIL version which looks like that's what you want you'll be happy with the reticle which I believe is what @Ezana4CE means by the DMR version.
This is great to hear, thanks for the clarification as I couldn't quite work out what was meant by the DMR reticle even when a website link was provided to me, there's no mention of "DMR" on their website, there are 2x reticles to choose from which are almost identical, one in MOA the other in MILs & yeah its the MIL version im going for :)

Thanks for the reply.

This is great to hear, thanks for the clarification as I couldn't quite work out what was meant by the DMR reticle even when a website link was provided to me, there's no mention of "DMR" on their website, there are 2x reticles to choose from which are almost identical, one in MOA the other in MILs & yeah its the MIL version im going for :)

Thanks for the reply.
@adzmullen I can see why it was confusing. The link is where the acronym "DMR" is used, not on the page (also read the link in post #5. I know, who reads links right?). I saw it elsewhere but can't recall where. I corresponds to "Mil" which is short for "milradian."
Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 5.26.33 AM.png

It appears that both reticles may be considered AHMR2, so the confusion was caused in part by me. The MOA reticle looks more like a BDC reticle in my opinion. It is shown below.
Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 5.31.15 AM.png

Hope you enjoy this scope in Mils.

Edit: I found where I also read the acronym "DMR." It was here https://cameralandny.com/shop/athlo...00163e90e196?variation=2891674#specifications

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 5.40.36 AM.png

The term and its acronym applies to the scope, not the reticle. That was my mistake confusing the two. Again my apologies for the confusion. I hope this clears it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dairyboy