ATN X-Sight II questions...

UPDATE: No longer relevant. I am going to get something other than the ATN X-Sight II...

Hi,

I asked on YouTube, no luck. I asked ATN directly, no luck. I asked on here (in someone else's thread), no luck. So I decided to create my own thread...

1. How good does the "range finder" work on small critters?

2. How do you adjust for different distances to your target? Do you use the build in range finder, or do you use a reticle (kinda like using mil-dots on other scopes).

3. How good does the Smart Shooting Feature work?

Thanks,

Kmd

I have the x-sight 2 but no "real" experience with it yet. I haven't even put it on a gun yet. With the way the range finder works, you'd need to input the approximate height of the game you'd be ranging. I don't see me using that feature a lot. I'll probably just use my handheld range finder. Like I said though, I've never actually used it yet so as far as the Smart Shooting feature, I'm not sure how well it works yet. 
You might want to ask on atnowners.com

Thanks for the input...

I understand how it is supposed to work, but that is not the problem. The problem is, finding someone that actually uses that feature, and can comment about it. Anyhow. You said you use your traditional handheld range finder. I have one of those. I just got it. Problem is, my scope has no mild dots, so having a range finder is not an option for me. Speaking of mil dots... How do you use a regular laser range finder with the ATN? I looked at the reticles the scope offers, and none seem to have an mil dots.

Thanks,

Kmd

p.s. I am new to all of this so I may have mixed a few things up, ha ha. Thanks for the link!

EDIT: One thing that really gets to me, is the fact that ATN themselves do not even bother to put a video online, that explains EVERY feature the scope has to offer! Why would they not do that? It would take them a few hours to create a video like that. The video alone would probably take a ton of workload of their hands, when it comes to customer support. My guess is: It does not work as advertised...

I have the ATN X-Sight II

My recommendation is wait until the X-Sight III comes out. I got tired of the unit freezing up every single time I used it, gets old having to remove the batteries all the time and then start over just to have it freeze again.

I wish I would have returned it instead of believing that ATN will issue a Firmware update that will make the unit as described.

I think all the glowing reviews must be the guys that sold out for the free ATN T-Shirt they are giving away for Reviews?

Check out:

http://atnowners.com/board/139/sight-ii

E

"Str8tshooter"I have the ATN X-Sight II

My recommendation is wait until the X-Sight III comes out. I got tired of the unit freezing up every single time I used it, gets old having to remove the batteries all the time and then start over just to have it freeze again.

I wish I would have returned it instead of believing that ATN will issue a Firmware update that will make the unit as described.

I think all the glowing reviews must be the guys that sold out for the free ATN T-Shirt they are giving away for Reviews?

Check out:

E
Amazing what people do for a free t-shirt, ha ha. Seriously though, I have already decided to not get the X-Sight II. I am getting the MTC Viper Pro instead...

thanks,

Kmd

"Str8tshooter"I have the ATN X-Sight II

Check out:

E
Str8shooter - Were your X-Sight II freezing while using it on an firearm or air gun?

I'm still keeping my eye our on this scope. Even after reading the issues people are having with this scope on atnusers.com the XSight still seem to be a good candidate for night pesting for my Marauder 25 I took the Hawke scope from. I moved the Hawke onto my Hatsan Carnivore (nicked BAM BAM). The XSight scope will consolidate in purchasing another scope (Hawke or MTC), night vision equipment (NiteSite) and video recording accessories such as a DVR & battery pack (to share with you guys).

Here's what I'm gathering and expectation so far..

Don't expect 4AA battery to last in a power hungry microcomputer scope. Always have extra batteries at all times (preferably Lithium). Using low battery will cause a lock-up in the middle of a setup and may NOT save into memory prior to powering down. Hence "Do not unplug or turn off power while updating" on a computer or other devices requiring updates.
Use a fast and reliable SD Card such as SanDisk Extreme. A corrupt card will cause issues.
Turn off GPS/Geo Tagging when indoors to prevent lock-ups.
Turn off WiFi when not needed (save battery)
Expect poor video quality and out-of- focus issues if there is not enough light for the sensor to pick up. This one is obvious to those who does videos or photography.

More to learn about the Xsight. If all works out then I won't be the only one heading home when it gets dark :)

There is an external power pack you can use which gives you up to 16 hours of power.

Don't buy the ATN external unit which they rarely have in stock and its about $100

Here's the exact same unit at a third of the price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0104DI20W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's the cable you need

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XTWIGLG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you format the SD card and have the latest factory firmware you should have no problems

Here's a high speed card to use

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O47H706/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ATN support is crap

Ben- Thanks for the list bro! Especially like the external since with 2 outlets for charging (scope & iPhone). Just like when I use a scope cam, I'm looking at a monitor. I'll be doing the same with the Xsight using their Obsidian App on my phone or iPad and making quick adjustments the scope as needed.

Here's a motivating hunting video with an XSight. If this is the clarity you get with the cap accidentally left on (supplied cap), I would have to say, WOW!

I bought the x-sight II 3-14 in August - I has been a love hate relationship - I have had it on and off two different guns - my Savage had bolt clearance issues - my Marauder had mounting issues - finally found a universal Pic rail that works - fairly well,

I could not figure out how to do much and you are right the support from ATN is weak at best. Got it charged with some cheap LiCO3 batteries - mistake - couldn't get it set up at all - packed it up and did not touch it for 2-3 weeks.

Youtube has been a blessing - although some people should be doing somehting else beside video blogging - lol. And I did find a bank of ATN videos on youtube that was quite beneficial.

I broke down and bought the 20000 M-amp power pack - saved me tons of trouble - cheap rechargeable are worthless but everyone raves about Kentli 3000 M-amp rechargeable batteries (Amazon).

So I bought a mini sd card pack/kit - found out how to download the latest firmware to the micro SD card - install that into the card reader then into my computer card reader slot via youtube ATN training video then loaded the SD card into my scope - and yes I did get it upgraded to the latest version 2.1.07.767 and it was not exactly as the ATN instructions said.

Next I couldn't get zero - too many steps - finally wrote them down and yes first 10 yard group worked - I was shooting 6-7 inches low - moved the crosshairs as explained and done! Tomorrow moving out to 25 yards - pretty confident I will get to re-zero OK - we will see

This things has been a lot more work than I was ready for and my tech skills beiing what they are does not help. I am feeling much more confident with it now than I was even 2 weeks ago and plan to stick with it awhile - I was impressed with the accuracy potential I saw, wish me luck and good luck to you that have taken on this beast.

Lastly I am jazzed at the prospect of night shooting in the near future but I need to take it step by step. I have jumped in too fast then got frustrated and discouraged - lets see if slowing down helps.- follow directions and I will keep you posted

OK zeroed at 25 - appears dead on at this time - really like the one shot zero function - but in reality takes me 2-3 shots for confidence. Getting more used to this and the power pack makes it so much nicer than batteries - used to burn through them in 2 hours) Turned it on about 9am and left it on until 3 - 4 pm(turned the wifi off) - lots of battery left when I plugged it back in for recharge - hope these don't get a "memory" - next time will run it all the way down before recharging. One thing I noticed is keep all functions turned off unless using them - preserve battery - tonight will try the night mode with IR Illuminator.