Available types of airguns

gKenny - Am I remembering correctly that you posted that you were 80 years of age? I'm wondering if you've dealt with hand pumps before for these PCPs? I'm forgetting but I think you had said that you were hoping to hand pump and use a PCP. Those hand pumps can be pretty challenging depending on the air gun. 

Another good one: Artemis PP 700 is a great little air gun that's the size of a pistol but shoots somewhat like a rifle. This one is pretty quick to pump up because of a small tank. the larger tanks are a chore to pump up by hand. My daughter and I tested it out it's about 120 pounds per down stroke ( she's not yet heavy enough to push the pump down a matter how hard she tries out a little over 100 pounds) and it can take about 75 to 100 pumps to refill the TalonP. Maybe 40 for the Artemis. So you may want to consider getting a small compressor or a scuba tank if you have a place you can get it filled. Of course you can see the money starting to pile up here.

I am not much help on that one but it is the symbols above where you type your messages. I wish there was a legend that tells you what the symbols mean.

Hi Metalmaniac, thanks for the reply.

I understand the symbols about changing the style and size of type, I do it with each post because the default size is what I show here. But this is the size that I want, but when I post the change, it automatically goes back to default and I have to change it each time. There must be a way of changing it permanently!

Regards, gkenny.

gKenny - Am I remembering correctly that you posted that you were 80 years of age? I'm wondering if you've dealt with hand pumps before for these PCPs? I'm forgetting but I think you had said that you were hoping to hand pump and use a PCP. Those hand pumps can be pretty challenging depending on the air gun. 

Another good one: Artemis PP 700 is a great little air gun that's the size of a pistol but shoots somewhat like a rifle. This one is pretty quick to pump up because of a small tank. the larger tanks are a chore to pump up by hand. My daughter and I tested it out it's about 120 pounds per down stroke ( she's not yet heavy enough to push the pump down a matter how hard she tries out a little over 100 pounds) and it can take about 75 to 100 pumps to refill the TalonP. Maybe 40 for the Artemis. So you may want to consider getting a small compressor or a scuba tank if you have a place you can get it filled. Of course you can see the money starting to pile up here.

You are correct MrP, I am 80 years old and probably will have trouble using the hand pump, thank you for your thoughtfulness in reminding me! 

I just can not go back to that springer routine where I get so frustrated in dealing with 'wondering groups'. I guess that leaves me, as you mention here, a rather costly expense because I will need not only a much more expensive gun, but also a good scope, and a compressor. 

That means an expense of around $1,000. Not easy these days.

The only other choice that I have is my Baikal , or my Sheridan Silver Streak, both of which are too light for a humane kill on pests, so not a choice.

Obviously, I have more planning ahead.

MrP, I really appreciate you staying with me on this problem, it is very gratifying to me, and because of help like this, I will eventually get the correct gun.

Thanks again for your kindness and continued interest!

Regards, gkenny.

Again may I suggest a Benjamin Maximus in .22

It seems to have everything your looking for. You can buy the rifle and a hand pump for under $300. Then whatever amount you want to spend on a scope. If you don't want a scope, it comes with irons. Front sight is green fiber optic, and very easy to pick up quickly. It's very easy to pump up. Especially if you only shoot it down to 1400 psi or so from 2000 psi. It has the fpe you want for humane kills on small game. It's a very lightweight rifle. And it's very accurate at the yardage you said you shoot at. 

Thank you Locker50! I will look up the Benjamin Maximus right away.

How does it differ from the Benjamin Marauder?

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Regards, gkenny.

I'm sorry, I do not have a Maurauder to tell you the differences. I believe it's a repeater as opposed to single shot? And most likely costs a couple hundred $ more. I'm sure there are many members on here that could help you out with that.

I have a Talon SS. Not as strong as the Talon P. But the shroud goes six inches beyond the barrel. I've had it for around 20 years. Got it cheap as a blew. So that speaks of the longevity of it.

The longer shroud enabled me to build my own baffle system. The Airforce system wasn't available then. My build consists of 1/4 fender washers and trimmed 1 inch conduit end caps for low voltage wires. It's super quiet. I've had people stand off to the side while shooting and they told me they heard the slap of the hammer and the pellet hitting the target. Not the report.

I went with a heavy hammer and spring for it years ago. Had it tuned and chronied for 18 gainers at around 750fps. I dropped raccoons and feral cats with a behind the ear shot at 15 to 30 yards.

As for pumping, if you can get someone to do the initial fill, you can top off. IS A LOT OF WORK TO HAND PUMP! I'm going on 60 and don't let my tank get too low. I still work out and make that part of it! Lol! Depending on if you want to stretch your budget a bit further, there are some sub $700 compressors. Benjamin makes one. Comes with a good warranty as well. Or give the grandkids $10 to fill it up like I do sometimes. 

That's my opinion on the airgun that I know intimately after so much time. I've chosen a Benjamin Fortitude as my next purchase. My reasons are:

Regulated, want the most shots out of a tank.

Quiet, from what I read anyway.

Multi-shot, I want this because I figure that a tank and a magazine will last me a morning hunt. Pa just allowed airgun hunting.

Light, I should be able to keep it around 7 pounds with a scope.

And the longer barrel of the Fortitude should give me some better range over my Talon SS.

As a parting thing, if .177 would handle your posting, go with that. Will conserve your air.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Thank you KevininPa, I appreciate your response and all of the good information you provided!

I am thinking that I may have to use a pump and that would be a problem because I am 80 and not in great health!

I hate to spend all that money on a tank system, as well as a PCP gun, so I am looking for alternatives, your info helps there.

Regards, gkenny.

Thank you Odoyle, The guns I am considering are; The Benjamin Maximus, the Gamo Urban, the Benjamin Marauder, and most favorite, the Air Venturi Avenger. The Avenger is not available right now because back-order and the popularity of this great gun.

If you or anyone have any of these guns or can help with those choices, and what is required in an air tank system, I would be very grateful because I just learned about PCP's with the help of the kind and informed folks on this fine forum!

Thank you, regards, gkenny.

Hi, as an ad-on to my posts here about PCP air rifles.

I will need a hand pump or some other easier to use tank/compressor for my first choice, the Air Venturi Avenger airgun.

What are some of my choices, what do you guys use?

How difficult is a hand pump for an old man, and which one is a good one? What is a good but affordable tank/compressor?

Thank you all again, you have made my problem much easier to deal with. I only hope that I can return the favor and be of some help to this forum in the near future.

Stay safe my friends, regards, gkenny.

You ain't hand pumping anything past a 2000psi Maximus that's for sure if you aren't in tip top physical shape. The Avenger 300bar (4351psi) will be the absolute hardest to pump up and I question longevity since its predecessor sells for $100 AS-IS in broken condition due to return failures and warranty exchanges and really question why even the first importer choses to not fix them. $414.99 for a Yong Heng from Walmart with 4 year warranty (no 4 year warranty don't buy it) with free shipping. Other than that any compressor with a 4 year extended warranty or I wouldn't buy it to me, odds on a sub $1000 compressor doesn't look too good based on actually reading the forums from actual owners rather than infomercials and paid advertising. Maybe the $1000.00 Hill compressor if I was forced to gamble on a cheapest reliable yet unproven compressor since its still too new. That's the minimum and English (UK) made.

I would rather pump up my Maximus and have a bunch of shots versus pumping a Benjamin or Sheridan eight times For each shot. I have a Benjamin and it is a pain in the ass to get past six pumps. Hand pumping the Maximus is much easier than the marauder. And the marauder weighs a lot more also.And the Maximus is cheaper. The only thing is it is a single shot which you said you don’t mind. And the trigger isn’t that great on the maximus but can be improved easily. Or you can put a new trigger group in it like ODoyle said.

I will need a hand pump or some other easier to use tank/compressor for my first choice, the Air Venturi Avenger airgun.

How difficult is a hand pump for an old man, and which one is a good one? What is a good but affordable tank/compressor?

Thank you all again, you have made my problem much easier to deal with. I only hope that I can return the favor and be of some help to this forum in the near future.

You aren't even going to want to shoot your pcp if you have to hand pump it at 80 years old! I'd rather shoot a springer if I was in that position, lol!!!

Paint ball shops, waiting to fill a tank until you go to the big city, have a friend at the fire station fill the tank, or last resort going to a C02 rifle, those are some solutions. Grandkids? Heck I'd rather hire a kid to hand pump. Nitrogen, you can rent a tank and have it delivered to your home. Do anything but hand pump it yourself, seriously it sucks! 

This is true. Can be like bench pressing 110 pounds 75 times basically. Maybe not quite, but close.

There is an adapter for the Air Force rifles which are the only ones that I really know much about which allows you to use a larger capacity CO2 cartridge. I don't know details of all of this but I think it shoots at around 450-500 ft./s You get some ridiculously large shot count off of each canister. Might be enough to do the pesting you aim to do with .25 cal - 11-12 fpe with the co2 is a rough estimate. 

You aren't even going to want to shoot your pcp if you have to hand pump it at 80 years old! I'd rather shoot a springer if I was in that position, lol!!!

Paint ball shops, waiting to fill a tank until you go to the big city, have a friend at the fire station fill the tank, or last resort going to a C02 rifle, those are some solutions. Grandkids? Heck I'd rather hire a kid to hand pump. Nitrogen, you can rent a tank and have it delivered to your home. Do anything but hand pump it yourself, seriously it sucks!

Hi Steve123, you are correct! I am NOT going to pump it myself, I am not even buying a hand pump so that I won't be tempted!

I am considering a very compact compressor, probably made by Air Venturi, from R&L Airgun Supply. I am also seriously considering the Air Venturi Avenger. The total price is $700 including shipping.

Thanks again, regards, gkenny.

This is true. Can be like bench pressing 110 pounds 75 times basically. Maybe not quite, but close.

There is an adapter for the Air Force rifles which are the only ones that I really know much about which allows you to use a larger capacity CO2 cartridge. I don't know details of all of this but I think it shoots at around 450-500 ft./s You get some ridiculously large shot count off of each canister. Might be enough to do the pesting you aim to do with .25 cal - 11-12 fpe with the co2 is a rough estimate.

Thank you MrP, with the good advice I received here, I will NOT hand pump the PCP or even purchase a hand pump!

I am considering an Air Venturi Avenger. The youtube reviews are EXCEPTIONAL and since it is considered a basic, not top end PCP, I can afford it with a compressor.

I will miss the wood stock, but the ones with wood stocks and all the frills are out of my price range. As you well know, most of these guns are well over $600 without a compressor.

The company that I have speaking with is R&L Airgun Supply. They sell a very nice compressor for about $400. It appears to be made by Air Venturi, at least in appearance.

The guns are on back order everywhere but will be in by mid-Novenber and I can get the Avenger and the compact compressor for $700 total delivered.

Thank you, regards, gkenny.

Reactions: Animalcub7907
If you’re 80 years old it depends on how good of shape you’re in. I am 62 but I have arthritis in my back and my right shoulder. And although hand pumping isn’t fun, it still isn’t that hard on a maximus. But once you fill it up you’re good to go not unless you’re going to be shooting it for a long time.But if it’s just to take out critters in the yard and will only be shooting a few shots here and there then one fill will last you a while. I’ve seen 80 year olds around here where I live doing farm work that are in better shape than me. A compressor will be expensive because you want to get a good one. Don’t know exactly where you live so a paintball shop or a dive shop To fill up a tank might or might not be possible. But I think everybody has a fire department not too far from them. And if you could talk to them prior to getting the gun then that would be your solution if they say they would do it for you. It’s good to give your fire department a donation every now and then also . That’s some decisions you’ll have to make. But for me hand pumping is better than pumping up my Benjamin for one shot. The avenger is popular right now but it is fairly new although there were other guns that were similar that they Borrowed the design from. I want you to keep in mind that I would think that the avenger is made in either China or Taiwan because I have another Air Venturi gun that was made in Taiwan. That gun hasn’t been out for a long time to get a lot of good feedback yet. Yes the reviews so far are good and a lot of the more experienced air gunners would take the Chance because they could rebuild it themselves. But I’m not trying to change your mind on what air rifle to get but I myself would go with a tried and true air gun. And the maximus fits the bill. I’ve had mine for four years with no issues at all. For me it is easy to pump up and I have left it stored in the closet for four months and didn’t leak one bit of air ever. I’m just trying to give you suggestions like everybody else .I wouldn’t want to spend a lot of money on my first PCP rifle either. But you would want to put a decent scope on it. I had a leapers on mine but when I got my HW 50, I took it off and put it on that and then I had a centerpoint that is not really that good of scope but it’s on my maximus now and is now staying right on Bullseye. So you don’t have to go expensive with the scope either. And if you decide with the hand pump you don’t have to go expensive either. I bought a cheap $40 hand pump that I have been getting years of use out of. But it looks like you have a Lotta decisions to make and what ever you choose good luck with it and feel free to ask people questions on here. There’s people in here with way more experience than me. I’m just giving you my experience that I went through with my first PCP which was a Maximus. 

Thank you Ripper, You have given me a lot of good, solid information which I can use along with all of the other kind help I have received here!

This has to be the best forum on the Internet! I belong to many other forums on other subjects and this forum has been much more helpful than ANY I have ever used or even heard of! The people who have helped me here are not only very well informed, but extremely kind with their time and patience with me, because I knew NOTHING about PCP's before joining here last week.

You are among them Ripper, and I thank you very much.

Stay safe my friend, regards, gkenny.