Available types of airguns

And PS, the Maximus is more like bench pressing 7O pounds. Not 110. Trust me I’ve done both. Now the guns with bigger air tanks are much harder to pump up.Even the bigger tank on one of my PCPs isn’t even like 110. It’s more like maybe close to 80 at the very end of the fill. But the thing is you’re putting your weight into it so you can’t compare it to bench pressing. Bench pressing you’re using just your shoulders and arms. Hand pumping you can put all your body Weight into it.I’m not trying to talk you into hand pumping I’m just making it clear that unless you have a gun with a real big tank then it gets very hard to pump.

And PS, the Maximus is more like bench pressing 7O pounds. Not 110. Trust me I’ve done both. Now the guns with bigger air tanks are much harder to pump up.Even the bigger tank on one of my PCPs isn’t even like 110. It’s more like maybe close to 80 at the very end of the fill. But the thing is you’re putting your weight into it so you can’t compare it to bench pressing. Bench pressing you’re using just your shoulders and arms. Hand pumping you can put all your body Weight into it.I’m not trying to talk you into hand pumping I’m just making it clear that unless you have a gun with a real big tank then it gets very hard to pump.

No Ripper, I am definitely getting a compressor!

Regards, gkenny.

Agreed that I may have exaggerated slightly when comparing it to bench pressing 110 pounds. Some different people in my family were all trying to push that thing down and it was pretty interesting to see. If I stand on the scale, I have to push down with a force of 120 pounds in order to depress the pump. So I'm supporting that much weight on my arms but to say that's like benching 120 is definitely not accurate and I haven't bench press anything since high school so I can't remember what different weights felt like at all. 

Did I already mentioned the Artemis PP 700? About $200 from krale or maybe Airgunarcheryfun.com. There's a newer one that has a built-in telescoping stock and is multi shot as well. This one is pretty easy to pump up and I get a lot of shots I can also get very high power on it like 13-14 fpe in .177 with a few little tweaks. I feel like I'm making things more complicated but this gun has gotten a lot of love on the forums so if you don't take a look at it you might be missing out on some thing. Some folks kind of convert this into a carbine rifle configuration and it's good at this. Really really good accuracy according to people who are better marksmen than I am. Can be converted to different .22 caliber and barrel is cheap only $16 as

I'm quite impressed with the accuracy of the Maximus for a relatively cheap rifle. On a calm day, from a bench I can get 5 shot groups between .5" - .8" at 50 yds. And I'm not the greatest marksman. I'm no way affiliated with the company or anything. Just trying to help you out going the cheapest route for what you say you need.

The Maximus is one of my most shot favorite guns believe it or not... I have the match trigger from the Challenger installed BTW... Super light to carry around too...

The only regret I have After buying the Maximus is that I didn’t get it in 22 caliber. The 17 caliber for me is a little troublesome to load. I’m sure a 22 caliber would be a little easier. And I have medium mounts on mine. Maybe Higher scope rings would help. It’s nice that they make a multi shot breach for them. A little pricey though. But that’s the beauty of the gun is you can buy it for a low price and use it as it is and gradually change and improve things on it as time goes on. 

The only regret I have After buying the Maximus is that I didn’t get it in 22 caliber. The 17 caliber for me is a little troublesome to load. I’m sure a 22 caliber would be a little easier. And I have medium mounts on mine. Maybe Higher scope rings would help. It’s nice that they make a multi shot breach for them. A little pricey though. But that’s the beauty of the gun is you can buy it for a low price and use it as it is and gradually change and improve things on it as time goes on.

Thank you Ripper.

I'm quite impressed with the accuracy of the Maximus for a relatively cheap rifle. On a calm day, from a bench I can get 5 shot groups between .5" - .8" at 50 yds. And I'm not the greatest marksman. I'm no way affiliated with the company or anything. Just trying to help you out going the cheapest route for what you say you need.

Thank you Locker50, the Maximus is a very fine gun according to your assessment here and several others on youtube.

Regards, gkenny,

Did I already mentioned the Artemis PP 700? About $200 from krale or maybe Airgunarcheryfun.com. There's a newer one that has a built-in telescoping stock and is multi shot as well. This one is pretty easy to pump up and I get a lot of shots I can also get very high power on it like 13-14 fpe in .177 with a few little tweaks. I feel like I'm making things more complicated but this gun has gotten a lot of love on the forums so if you don't take a look at it you might be missing out on some thing. Some folks kind of convert this into a carbine rifle configuration and it's good at this. Really really good accuracy according to people who are better marksmen than I am. Can be converted to different .22 caliber and barrel is cheap only $16 as

Hi MrP,

I did check out the Artemis, a very cool gun, but a little under powered for my needs.

Thank you, regards, gkenny.

I think it's wise that you are skipping the pump. Remember that you don't have to fill up an airgun to its maximum, though, whether you have a pump or not. They often perform better when the air cylinder isn't completely full. A 2000 tank doesn't mean you can't just fill it to 1600 or whatever. That makes things considerably easier. But still, pumping takes TIME, and time spent pumping is time spent not having fun. Having anti-fun, in my opinion!

You can have one or the other. You may well wind up getting both at some point. It is supposedly safer and it certainly is faster and easier to fill from a tank than a compressor, and not noisy either. Then again, unless you can fill your tank yourself, you'll be paying someone else to do it, probably 5 bucks a fill or more, and spending your own time and gas money to get that tank filled. So a compressor may well be more economical in the long run. Even the smaller tanks can run around $400 USD. A bit cheaper than a decently warrantied inexpensive compressor, but not by that much.

A whole lot will be decided for you simply by whether you have a local place that can fill your tank up to 4500 PSI. Then add in the convenience factor of whether you even want to go there.

And ... unless portability is crucial, a bigger tank, adding another $150 or so, might be better in the long run than a smaller tank. Especially if you have to pay for fills. Fewer trips/hassles getting it filled. If I had to do it again, I would get a bigger tank than the small but very nice one I got.

You will get a lot of opinions, because different things suit people differently. And honestly, lots of people start small but then dump more money into airguns over time. Either way you choose, you could well be happy with for a little while or forever.

Thanks Dingfelder, you have provided some very thoughtful and helpful Information!

The compressor that I am considering is a 4500 PSI RL PORTABLE MINI at $425 delivered, as sold by R & L Airgun Supply, whom I just heard about yesterday.

Along with this I am considering either an .25 Air Venturi Avenger PCP, a .25 Benjamin Maximus PCP, or if I want to splurge, a .25 Benjamin Marauder PCP with a wooden stock.

There are many others that were suggested here, but I am down to one of these 3, I am also considering .22 caliber but my first choice is .25 caliber.

I joined this forum just last week because of my frustration with the Diana springers. I have grown tired of the 'picky' holding problems which I could never seem to master. 

I have never owned a PCP and knew almost nothing about them, but the people on this fine forum, like yourself, have been very helpful and informative and because of their kindness, patience, and expertise, Old-Whats-Her-Name tells me that I am now a world class expert and know EVERYTHING there is to know about PCP's! Lol, Lol!

Well, I know a little, hopefully enough to make a good decision for this purchase.

Thanks again, regards, gkenny.

I’m going to chime in here again only because I’m trying to save you some frustration. If you were going to go with a air compressor which is a good idea. But just keep in mind that I hear a lot of people on here having problems with the lower price compressors. But I bought a cheap $35 hand pump and it is still going strong after three years and it came with a rebuild kit also. Now I’m not trying to steer you towards a hand pump I’m just trying to state that sometimes you can spend a lower amount of money and get something reliable although it normally doesn’t turn out that way. But if you were going with the air compressor your best option in my opinion for a PCP rifle would be the Benjamin marauder then. It’s been around for a while with a lot of happy customers. It’s a little heavier than the maximus but is a little better made and also a multi shot. And keep in mind that Benjamin gives you a five year warranty with their air guns and have good customer service and plenty of parts available. And a lot of aftermarket support for Benjamins also. And just like What was already mentioned is you don’t have to pump it up to the maximum. I never pumped my PCPs all the way up to the top of the fill although you can if you want. I know you think $425 wouldn’t be a cheaper compressor but it seems like the more reliable ones are much more. But I’m only going by what I have been seeing here as far as air compressors. If you’re set on getting one I would ask some people one here what would be the best compressor for the money. And if you need to buy a scope just remember it don’t have to be a really expensive one on a PCP air rifle because there is no Recoil. Just don’t buy some offbrand scope.The main thing is you want it to hold zero.As far as the reticle goes, a Mil Dot Is nice because you can use the Dots to adjust for holdover on longer shots.

I am considering either an .25 Air Venturi Avenger PCP, a .25 Benjamin Maximus PCP, or if I want to splurge, a .25 Benjamin Marauder PCP with a wooden stock.

Re Avengers in general:

PROs: 

• Very strong reviews on multiple parameters including accuracy
  • lightweight
  • extremely easy to adjust/tune, and at a price where that's not usually possible
  • PSI gauge is NOT right under the barrel so you don't have to risk your face/brain to check or monitor it
  • good shot count
  • fillable to 4500 PSI ... again the shot count thing
  • single shot tray included, as well as magazines
  • Scope rail can accommodate lots of different mounts
  • Rail on fore-end for bipod/tripod
  • Provision for sling studs 
  • Supposedly the Benjamin Marauder rifle magazines fit it too; I have not checked.
  • If you don't like it or bang it up, you are only out $300 USD; basically very inexpensive, especially for its virtues
  • not as pellet-picky as many guns are
  • DonnyFL moderator adaptor screws into barrel within the shroud to align it all together nicely

CONs: 

• Stock material feels thinner than a top-flight polymer and is not as strong as wood either. I don't get the "cheap" feeling, but your mileage may vary
  • Air cylinder shroud is lightweight but probably pretty easy to dent too.
  • No iron sights
  • It's not short
  • Placement of magazine cutting mounting rail roughly in half makes mounting a scope less flexible than it would be on a continuous rail
  • Angled grip may or may not fit your hand/wrist flexibility
  • If you don't care about tinkering/tuning much, then the boon of being able to do so easily might not matter much anyway
  • Little or no aftermarket parts/mods available because it is brand new. Some other parts, like from the Nova Liberty or Benjamin Marauder, may fit, but I cannot confirm. This is a HUGE CONTRAST to the Benjamins(Crosman) because almost all of those have been around for years and there are tons of parts and mods and servicers available and probably will be for a long time into the future. The Avenger will very likely have something like that going for it, and sooner rather than later, but the Crosman Benjamins are a PROVEN commodity as regards parts, availability, mods, and service.
  • DonnyFL moderator adaptor is substantially bigger and heavier than the usual ones, which are very small. This is more a cylinder etc. It's as long as a pencil and there's more metal in it.

This is the only one of your three I have any experience with(Marauder only in pistol form, quite different).

I do suggest you add the cost of a moderator into any airgun most likely but especially a .25. They can be less than neighborhood friendly. And not just the airgun being fired -- the noise of the pellet hitting the target. Whether a squirrel or a backboard/other target. I hate to say you gotta spend more money, but you probably do.

Now ... the Benjamin Marauder rifle(not the pistol) is widely acknowledged as being unusually quiet, so that might make a difference to those worried about neighborhood-friendly. It will STILL make noise at the target regardless, of course. But it might seem less pricey if you consider the quietness it provides. Less noise = less need for a moderator? I dunno, I don't own one; just trying to step through some of the logic of the $$$ involved.