Air Venturi Avenger Rail Adjustment Question

First off... a quick shout out to this community as it helped my son and I pick up an Air Venturi Avenger. Overall we're impressed with the build quality given the price.

Dialing in the optics today, we ran out of height adjustment by a few ticks. I noticed one of the rear rail screws a bit lose, so I pulled both rails to inspect. Can someone help me identify what these 5 screws are for? Shimming the rails? The front screw (4) on the rear rail is slightly proud of the aluminum cast.

Before I jump the gun and adjust them, I wanted to get some info on their purpose.

IMG_5444 (1).jpg

The front screws are grub screws that hold the barrel into the breech block. I cant remember what the rear ones are for off the top of my head, none of them are scope adjustment related. They hold various parts of the rifle together. The Saber Tac rails are really nice upgrades for the Gen1 Avengers, and in my opinion a necessity. The stock rails are cheap cast and often crooked. Some people shim scopes but there is no way to do it without putting additional stress on the action and scope tube. If you need more adjustment you can use an adjustable mount or rings. I really like the Eagle Vision rings, but they are on the pricey side for most people. What is your scope tube diameter?

The front screws are grub screws that hold the barrel into the breech block. I cant remember what the rear ones are for off the top of my head, none of them are scope adjustment related. They hold various parts of the rifle together. The Saber Tac rails are really nice upgrades for the Gen1 Avengers, and in my opinion a necessity. The stock rails are cheap cast and often crooked. Some people shim scopes but there is no way to do it without putting additional stress on the action and scope tube. If you need more adjustment you can use an adjustable mount or rings. I really like the Eagle Vision rings, but they are on the pricey side for most people. What is your scope tube diameter?

Appreciate it. I did tighten screw 4 down a slight bit so it wasn't holding the rail up... which has solved my issue. Still would be nice to know what that one does, but hasn't effected anything that I can see.

Scope is 1". Vortex Diamondback. I could go with different rings, but was JUST out of reach. Tightening the rails and #4 did the trick and now everything is dialed.

May have to upgrade the rails for him eventually but we're both happy with the way its working now.

I would like to add a question, as I am confused how you dont have enough scope adjustment. Did you run out of elevation to zero up really close, or are you trying to dope for long distance? Also what scope are you using? Most modern scopes have a ton of travel.
We were just out of reach on elevation. I think it was more so an issue with the stock rails not being fully fastened. Scope is a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 that we dialed in at 50 yards.

Reactions: MongooseV8