Tuning Avenger Reg won't turn down below 1700psi

Hello all,

Tonight, I started getting this wood stocked avenger set up that came in the mail yesterday. I planned to go with @AEAC Steve's efficiency tune for high shot count, so I wanted to go for 1400psi on the reg. I degassed, closed the reg and then opened it up 1/4 turn, and filled it back up. I put a few drops of silicone chamber oil in the fill fitting and used scuba air from my tank for the first 200 bar and then did the last 100 bar with my Nomad. I dry fired 7 times and the reg was around 2200psi. I degassed again, closed the reg and then opened to 1/8 turn, filled it back up, dry fired 10 times and the reg was around 2000psi. I degassed, filled, closed the reg, and just opened it, like 1/32 of a turn, dry fired 15 times (trying to get the reg to settle) and it is now reading 1700psi. It appears the valve on this thing does not have the normal range of motion it is supposed to.

Is there something I can do to fix it, like open it up a few turns and close it up a few times?

Do I just need to contact Air Venturi or Pyramyd Air, who I got it from?

Thanks,

-pg

You don't want to go too low on the reg anyways because the hammer is designed to work with reg pressure of 2000 to 3000 psi or over 200 bars. Even if the reg can go down to 1400 the hammer will over power the valve and you will get inconsistency and hammer bounce from hitting it too hard. I found 2000 psi with basically hammer spring backed all the way out shoots very nice and efficient at around 20FPE in a 177 avenger I was working on yesterday. If you want to reduce power further more then increase the regulator till the power drops, with the long barrel it will be very efficient and have great shot counts.

I must admit the $299 177 avenger with minimum tuning shooting 10.3 grain job stupidly good! pellet on pellet at 30 yards good, it's so good I now question my life choices! LOL! 

I tried degassing, closing it, and opening it up slowly. As soon as it opens even the tiniest amount, it goes to 1700. I shot a few JSB 16 grains over the crono, and they were pushing 900, so I think the gauge is not reading way above the actual pressure. Considering Steve @AEAC said the quarter turn should read really low, like below 1000, and mine starts at 1700, the range of pressure on this one is definitely lacking. Definitely will have to call about a return.

Do I need to call Pyramyd Air, or Air Venturi?

Thanks,

-pg

You don't want to go too low on the reg anyways because the hammer is designed to work with reg pressure of 2000 to 3000 psi or over 200 bars. Even if the reg can go down to 1400 the hammer will over power the valve and you will get inconsistency and hammer bounce from hitting it too hard. I found 2000 psi with basically hammer spring backed all the way out shoots very nice and efficient at around 20FPE in a 177 avenger I was working on yesterday. If you want to reduce power further more then increase the regulator till the power drops, with the long barrel it will be very efficient and have great shot counts.

I must admit the $299 177 avenger with minimum tuning shooting 10.3 grain job stupidly good! pellet on pellet at 30 yards good, it's so good I now question my life choices! LOL!
How do you determine the best hammer spring setting? My avenger also does not want to go below 2000 and it came with the hammer spring almost all the way out. I have it at 2.75 turns cause I was planning to run Steve’s pro tune.

How do you determine the best hammer spring setting? My avenger also does not want to go below 2000 and it came with the hammer spring almost all the way out. I have it at 2.75 turns cause I was planning to run Steve’s pro tune.

It’s kinda hard to say since I don’t have that much tuning time with the avenger. What’s power level are you trying to get to?

My approach has always been highest reg pressure I can get always with but avenger has a very long barrel so it’s not as important. One thing I would try is to back out the hammer all the way and adjust the regulator till you get to the power level range you want them fine tune with hammer spring. If you need even lower power then cut 1/8 inch off the spring and try, someone on the forum did that with great results.

It’s kinda hard to say since I don’t have that much tuning time with the avenger. What’s power level are you trying to get to?

My approach has always been highest reg pressure I can get always with but avenger has a very long barrel so it’s not as important. One thing I would try is to back out the hammer all the way and adjust the regulator till you get to the power level range you want them fine tune with hammer spring. If you need even lower power then cut 1/8 inch off the spring and try, someone on the forum did that with great results.
Sounds good. Probably need to get a chrono before getting too fussy. My plan is to keep pressure down to maximize air usage and stay subsonic since I’m shooting in the back yard.