N/A Average Distance of your shooting sessions?

Threads like this always get me to wondering as to why some buy “airguns” to try to consistently and practically shoot at 100 yards. Unless you’re putting in lots of time and effort and equipment prep. Or are a competitive shooter with great equipment? Your on a wild goose chase…

Not saying that some guns and shooters aren’t capable of sending consistently good groups at that distance. It just not the norm for the majority. I can shoot out to 100 yards in my backyard and spent a lot of time trying to to achieve good groups for the N.U.A.H. Club challenge at GTA. It took weeks of sending to finally get the right conditions for me to achieve Master status… But to what end for me personally? After that endeavor I deemed that for myself? I was done trying to chase MOA at 100 yards with my PCPs… I’ve killed pigeons out to 100+ yards. But found through experience that I prefer to shoot and pest out to 60-70 yards…

99% of my shooting is from 25-64 yards, at those distances the hits on objects the size of a chipper’s head are consistent. Out to 100 yards and beyond? Even mildly windy conditions introduce lots of variation in the flight of pellets… And yes, I’ve read about the slug hoopla. But the majority got into airguns for their short range practicality sending pellets. Simply finding it amusing (in a good way) the fact that some enter this hobby searching for 50-100+ FPE PCPs to shoot at 100+ yards…

I've said for the longest time, airguns are tools best suited for sub 100y ranges. 10-75 yards is far more practical, anything beyond that, outside of BR/competition, often times is one stroking their ego..and unethical if a live target, because MOA beyond 100y is often times bigger than the kill zone of a live target, and rarely is anyone shooting moa every time, in every condition at 100+ yard.

Then you add slugs into the mix, and every air gunner that pushes limits with them starts stretching out to 300-400 yards and will be quick to come here and rant and rave about it, spreading the idea that airguns are largely capable of taking game out at this range, which is a bad idea for beginners to start pondering.

-Matt

Y’all nailed it. I’m pretty much shooting within archery range, just as I hunt. Can I shoot farther? Sure, but I don’t really have a reason to aside from testing ammo and doing it for fun to know that I can. Now certain rifles are fun to stretch out to 100+ yards on occasion. And there may come a day when I take shots at a problematic animal at a distance, so there’s that.

Why others want cheap guns that shoot like rimfire rifles? Who knows? As long as they’re being constructive and positively promoting airgun shooting sports, hey have at it.

Last edited:
Most of my “just need to shoot a little” shooting is between 75 and 140 yards. That’s the distance where there is more critter activity. And this time of year I have little apples set up. The apple trees on my property drop these perfect ping pong to golf ball size apples. So a couple times a week I set them up in various places out to 140 yards. Then I explode them at my leisure.

Most of my “just need to shoot a little” shooting is between 75 and 140 yards. That’s the distance where there is more critter activity. And this time of year I have little apples set up. The apple trees on my property drop these perfect ping pong to golf ball size apples. So a couple times a week I set them up in various places out to 140 yards. Then I explode them at my leisure.
Sounds more fun than paper. I'm on my way.

Sounds more fun than paper. I'm on my way.
Way more fun than paper. So fun that I have a freezer full of those apples for winter and spring rec shooting. Once a gun is dialed, I just prefer to engage three dimensional targets. Paper makes me sleepy. So boring.

Last edited:
I regularly shoot to about 80yds but alot are closer around 40-50yds. Just pellets. I've chased slugs, not very hard at all, but everytime I shoot them I worry about the downrange performance being too good on the dairy. So I've decided to just stick to pellets for good. I've also decided to go the other way in power. I'm gonna keep my .22 Vet Long at 34fpe, drop my .22 Vet Short from 30fpe to around 20fpe, then my Evol Mini from 30fpe to probably 12-14fpe. Alot of my shooting I'm realizing is closer than further. So I'm going to adjust to where I can grab a gun for whatever task I need instead of all kind of doing the same thing.

.and unethical if a live target, because MOA beyond 100y is often times bigger than the kill zone of a live target, and rarely is anyone shooting moa every time, in every condition at 100+ yard.

-Matt
Not to mention the very diminished kinetic energy at the target. Even slugs lose a ton of energy by 100y.

David

I'm a paper puncher too, and shoot in various disciplines. 25M BR, FT, and 100yd BR. Each with a different gun, but since I own several, I'm always trying different ones to see which is best for which event. No doubt, .177 target rifles best for 25 yd BR or even 50. For 100, I used to shoot my Impact .22 and sometimes my .30, but lately, I've been having fun shooting my RAW.177 at 100 yd using slugs.

As measured in feet or inches ?
As noted in other posts...

Across the living room, and down the hall and into a foam archery target. About 13 yards

You work with you have. And shooting offhand, that makes it sorta like shooting 40 yards with the crutches, like mono - , bi -, and tripods. Like shooting off of benches with sand bags. Some days, my almost 74 year old body is pretty steady, and every now and again, I'm not so accurate, even at the short distance.
Plus I make it a little more difficult, by shooting at a bunch of 5/8" black dots, marked on a piece of paper.

Mike

P.S. - If I feel daring, I can open the back door, and stand outside. Still a straight line to the foam target. But, the local police don't seem to appreciate that.

Last edited:
…99% of my shooting is from 25-64 yards...

Me too for the most part.

The difference is that I have 1323 feet straight to the south, east and north and in-between to take down intruding critters that damage our "crops" so that dope for a good shot at 100 yards becomes a necessity for me.

Reactions: L.Leon
I live only 3 minutes from an outdoor range so I'm always shooting out to 100 yards. I'm shooting 52gn slugs at 992 fps (113fpe) which is overkill for my main hunting of rabbits (usually taken under 50 yards). Only reason is coyote season is year round and usually not close in and I want to be able to put one down at 100-150 yards. For coyote you need about 50fpe....at 100 yds I'm still over 86 fpe (slugs still moving about 870 fps). Now for my backyard shooting at a max of 25 yards I'm more than content shooting my new Notos at 16 fpe and shooting 1 hole groups.

.217 gn chrono Notos.png

Last edited: