Ballistics Gel Testing: AirForce Texan .50 Cal LSS Big Bore Airgun

https://youtu.be/y5wYMwRpzLE

Are these wound cavities being created by an Airforce Texan .50 cal LSS big bore airgun or a firearm smacking 10% Alphabet org Ballistics Gel? You wouldn't know the difference! After a few days of shooting and an evening of playing a fun game of Clear Ballistics Gel Operation I got crazy results I was NOT expecting!

I am getting massively expanding .50 cal slugs that penetrated exactly 10 inches when shot into Alphabet org 10% gel with the AirForce Texan LSS! Then to really blow your mind, these Lehigh Controlled Fracturing F5 airgun hollow points are shooting at over 1020 FPS / 500 FPE and exploding within the first 4 inches of the block deploying the petals creating separate wound channels and then penetrating 19 inches!

As a benchmark for penetration with the AirForce Texan .50 cal LSS, I chose to use some Mr. Hollow Point slugs in the 345-385 grain range as they are already a well known go-to option for big game hunting. The 350 grain Mr. Hollow Points and the 220 grain copper Maximum Expansion slugs penetrated exactly the same in inches, but you'll see an expansion size difference. The lead hollow points are exactly 1 inch and the copper slugs are 1.75 inches! I am getting 1 full inch of expanded Mr. Hollow Point pure AWESOME-ness with these lead slugs shot from the AirForce Texan .50 cal LSS! So as I’m getting my 2020 Deer hunting season short list of .50 cal ammo tested and these new 345 grain HPs are on that list! Zipping out of the Texan .50 cal at around 900 FPS these are both flat trajectory and great accuracy and great power and massive expansion. WIN! WIN! WIN! WIN!

Great video as always Chris. I've got the 20% ballistic gel block and have done a bunch of testing of different (lead) hollow points versus dimple points with it as well. To get realistic hunting depth of penetration results from the ballistic block, I shoot into the block with the air pressure/power lowered down to shoot at the FPS my StrelokPro App ballistic calculation says my FPS (energy) would be when getting to the deer at 100 yards. Reducing the power to get the FPS to match deer hunting yardages showed a big difference in how far it penetrated in the block at full power versus powering the gun down.