Barrel curved to right from factory

Hey guys got a question about my new rifle (hatsan 135 qe carnivore .30 cal) been trying to zero my rifle/learn to shoot it right considering I keep hitting high from not holding it right I assume(I have the elevation as low as it goes so not much more I can do about that)? But one thing I've had to do is adjust the windage pretty far to the left to compensate for it shooting to the right a good bit as well, it wasn't until my buddy, at a glance, asked me if it was bent a bit that I really looked at it and confirmed it was curved slightly. I know that a perfectly straight barrel isn't really a thing no matter the barrel quality but I'm curious if this is something I should be worried about in terms of it being a defect or not? I'm starting to get it to hit where I aim, more or less, but still thought I'd get some more experienced opinions and perspectives to broaden my own. Thanks a bunch guys!

You can put a straight edge on it, top and bottom to confirm that it’s the barrel and maybe not a lockup issue.

Then bend the barrel to fit your need. I made a barrel bending tool out of som boards and a big eyebolt.
Bender top, spring compressor bottom.

I guess the board on the bottom was cherry or something. My carpenter son wasn’t very happy.
Not my fault he left what looked like scrap to me laying around.

0E02DB25-4796-4ED9-833C-3E5660BF3632.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty911
Send it back if you can. If you can visually see a barrel bent up, down, left or right it's way out of alignment. I straighten Weihrauch barrels all the time. I correct barrels that are unnoticeably bent that cause big problems with scope life. Also left and right variance is much worse than vertical. Gravity always works in a vertical plane and the gun will zero twice in a predictable manner regardless of minor droop.

Horizontal variance will allow only one true zero and will cause POI variance inside and past the zero that are hard to compensate for.

Warrantee it if possible

The 135 QE has an approximately 10 inch barrel with a sleeve. It could be the sleeve with the end sight that is not perfectly aligned. As long as you can get the poi within the sights I would NOT try bending the barrel. If you want to attempt it you should remove the sleeve first.
I have two 135QE’s. Both are a bit off and shoot right / high also. Both are exactly the same. No worries.
632A994F-C59E-46E0-BF75-2AEF09506A7C.jpeg
76BEE112-7B22-4791-8EBA-A6A96DA4D9A7.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies all! I'm certainly not comfortable fiddling around with bending or even disassembling the gun at the moment, not from lack of confidence in my ability to but rather not wanting to void the possibly of a warranty if I could get one, at least not until I get a reply back from pyramyd regarding my concern. As Bear-of-Grayling posted I suspect it might just be part of the model itself or the sight on the sleeve not being perfect so that provides some assurance, and I'll look into that while I await a reply. I'll be sure to get back to you all when I find out anything more. Thanks again guys.

Like Bear mentioned, if you want to truly check the barrel, that sleeve has to come off. Pretty easily done actually. The end cap on that QE shroud unscrews. Watch taking it off since it has an oring on it. Inside are 2 hair curler looking sleeves wrapped in felt, then 2 spacers, either clear or metal.
Shine a flashlight in there and you'll see the nut that holds that shroud on the barrel which is threaded for it. The one on my Model 95 is 14mm, yours being the bigger 135 might be a 15mm. Socket and extension with a ratchet and it might take a little smack, but that nut comes off and the shroud will slide right off.
Barrel is like Bear described and now easy to check and see if it's a bent barrel or a shroud issue. Also will let you have a look at what Hatsan calls a crown, which never seem to be all that good but easily fixed and you can learn right here on the Nation how to fix it if need be.
Other option is what you already did contacting PA, who will probably have you return it for replacement.

Last edited:
You can put a straight edge on it, top and bottom to confirm that it’s the barrel and maybe not a lockup issue.

Then bend the barrel to fit your need. I made a barrel bending tool out of som boards and a big eyebolt.
Bender top, spring compressor bottom.

I guess the board on the bottom was cherry or something. My carpenter son wasn’t very happy.
Not my fault he left what looked like scrap to me laying around.

View attachment 295869
Take it off his rent?

Reactions: Struckat
Ditch the Hatsan and chalk it up to experience. Spend the money on a Weihrauch HW95 and be done. Buy once, Cry once.
Not gonna disagree considering I own several HW's, but I also still own more than a few Hatsans...lol. I know there are exceptions, but many got their experience tinkering with rifles from buying the less expensive ones to tear into before they bought that way more expensive rifle.
Flip side is you can buy that more expensive rifle and have just as many problems. Weihrauch is in there the last year or so. 95/R9's built with the wrong cocking arm which then needed bent a hair or returned. Lousy piston seal material which burned/cracked in 1000 shots or less among others.
Seems to be a krap shoot no matter what you buy anymore and the stories of the bad ones, no matter the maker, are here on the forums.

I love my Weihrauch’s. But Hatsan’s have there place also. Hatsan is a great blank canvas and value. A 95 Hatsan with a Walnut stock, 4 lever Quattro trigger, Vortex gas ram, scope and rings (not great but works) is about double a tune kit alone for a Weihrauch. And they don’t need a tune kit! I think most who dog the Hatsan have never had one or don’t like tinkering with their springers. Weihrauch’s are great products but not the ”be all end all” of airguns.

Reactions: Deerstalker
I agree with bear, I do a lot of research on my purchases to avoid "crying" and most of what drove my purchase was that I had never owned a Springer/gas piston before and wanted something to wet my chops per se. I wanted something that wouldn't break my budget (considering weihrauchs are more expensive than any powder burner I own currently! It felt silly to buy one with no experience) and as well there was the novel aspect of the 135 carnivore in that it fires a 30 cal pellet which I found to be very cool. Even despite the ammo being limited in make and more expensive, the hatsan was attractive because I felt I'd get a full experience and also wouldn't cry over little dings in the finish or dents in the furniture. With how it's shooting right now I'm chalking it to my inexperience with shooting it, and even the slight curve can be remedied from windage adjustment as I've dont or through working on it as others have suggested, I would be genuinely salty if I had the same experience with a rifle that's over double the cost which I have no doubt was a possibility.

So update: Still have to wait until tomorrow for a response from PA but I will admit that at this point having tried everything I can with trying to shoot correctly that I am, in fact, getting pretty upset with the rifle. I'm not an expert marksman by any means but I've placed 22lr at 100 yards in heavy wind with enough accuracy to be happy and enjoy the experience, and to put it simply, I'm not enjoying my experience with the rifle at all. It's wholly inconsistent in shooting and it will sometimes shoot around where I aim but more often then not it will just simply whiff entirely or go off in seemingly random directions for no real reason. I'm trying not to let pride get to me but I am seriously starting to doubt that I'm the problem here. I think maxtrouble might have been right or I'm just upset that I have a lemon either way it will have to wait until PA responds.

So update: Still have to wait until tomorrow for a response from PA but I will admit that at this point having tried everything I can with trying to shoot correctly that I am, in fact, getting pretty upset with the rifle. I'm not an expert marksman by any means but I've placed 22lr at 100 yards in heavy wind with enough accuracy to be happy and enjoy the experience, and to put it simply, I'm not enjoying my experience with the rifle at all. It's wholly inconsistent in shooting and it will sometimes shoot around where I aim but more often then not it will just simply whiff entirely or go off in seemingly random directions for no real reason. I'm trying not to let pride get to me but I am seriously starting to doubt that I'm the problem here. I think maxtrouble might have been right or I'm just upset that I have a lemon either way it will have to wait until PA responds.
You need to understand that you picked one of the most hold sensitive, difficult rifles to shoot well and in the most difficult caliber to boot. When shooting a super magnum with a lot of movement and a slow moving projectile, hold sensitivity goes through the roof. You concur this one and you will shoot anything well. Plus Hatsan really loads the barrel with crud that must be cleaned out before any accuracy can be obtained.
Just a suggestion. Clean the barrel really good. Practice your hold for exact repeatability. See if you cannot get a decent group of five. Odds are it’s you. These springers take practice and patience.

Last edited:
You need to understand that you picked one of the most hold sensitive, difficult rifles to shoot well and in the most difficult caliber to boot. When shooting a super magnum with a lot of movement and a slow moving projectile, hold sensitivity goes through the roof. You concur this one and you will shoot anything well. Plus Hatsan really loads the barrel with crud that must be cleaned out before any accuracy can be obtained.
This is fair, I'm trying to concede to logic that I'm just upset. I did run a lot of patches and ballistol through the barrel plus dry patches before I even began and got quite a lot out or so I thought. I've been trying to maintain positivity throughout everything and chalk it up to a painful learning experience but it's become quite painful indeed is all. Last few times I shot I must have took holding it lightly as to not overcompensate against the recoil too seriously as it really kicked the crap out of my shoulder lol

I
This is fair, I'm trying to concede to logic that I'm just upset. I did run a lot of patches and ballistol through the barrel plus dry patches before I even began and got quite a lot out or so I thought. I've been trying to maintain positivity throughout everything and chalk it up to a painful learning experience but it's become quite painful indeed is all. Last few times I shot I must have took holding it lightly as to not overcompensate against the recoil too seriously as it really kicked the crap out of my shoulder lol
The recoil of the gun is forward. What is this telling you. You are pulling it back into your shoulder. It’s easy to do. Found myself doing the same thing. A gentle, consistent hold to the shoulder and let the gun recoil forward as it should. Front hold consistent and not to firm. Find what works. Repeatability is key.