• *The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

barrel harmonic end goal?

Longer thinner barrels will have more harmonics/be more sensitive to a tune than a shorter thicker barrel. A true tensioned barrel will stretch the barrel which will reduce said harmonics more than a bare barrel which makes them even less sensitive to tunes. Also generally the more power you put out the more the harmonics there will be. Accuracy is the main goal getting that projectile to exit the barrel at the exact same harmonic node every time.

true neutral position as in close to or no vibrations?
is a barrel tensioner also a barrel harmonic tuning accessory?
I disagree with the “neutral position” assumption mentioned above. The goal should be for the projectile to exit at an inflection point in the barrels movement so that it is as close to motionless as possible (or slowing down and preparing to change direction) when the projectile exits the bore.

I wrote a blog post that explains this in more details a few years ago

I disagree with the “neutral position” assumption mentioned above. The goal should be for the projectile to exit at an inflection point in the barrels movement so that it is as close to motionless as possible (or slowing down and preparing to change direction) when the projectile exits the bore.

i just read the article. it sounds like less vibration is the goal and no vibration is the unicorn.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
It should be noted that the most accurate 50y rifles in the world (Unlimited Rimfire)....which also happen to be our closest relative due to their projectile material (lead) and weight....do not support any of the theories so far listed and explained in the above posts.

The 100% dominant explanation that is actually supported by real world results on 100% of top Rimfire BR rifles is the stopped muzzle...produced only by adding the proper amount of weight in the proper position in front of the muzzle. Bill Calfee invented the Rimfire muzzle device like 25 years ago and it forever changed Rimfire BR. Do a search on stopped muzzle Rimfire and you'll find plenty to read.

Mike

Semantics mostly. A barrel will never wiggle the same every time so trying to match a peak movement with the projectile cannot be as good as a more centered/neutral position. Not to mention they dont stop moving, so there is no "close to motionless". If you ever watched slow motion video of a barrel you will see what Im talking about.

It should be noted that the most accurate 50y rifles in the world (Unlimited Rimfire)....which also happen to be our closest relative due to their projectile material (lead) and weight....do not support any of the theories so far listed and explained in the above posts.

The 100% dominant explanation that is actually supported by real world results on 100% of top Rimfire BR rifles is the stopped muzzle...produced only by adding the proper amount of weight in the proper position in front of the muzzle. Bill Calfee invented the Rimfire muzzle device like 25 years ago and it forever changed Rimfire BR. Do a search on stopped muzzle Rimfire and you'll find plenty to read.

Mike
is a stopped muzzle the same as a muzzle brake?
Thanks
Mike

A stopped muzzle is a condition...it's not an accessory.

The explanation has been covered a million times over and is fairly complex in all...so it's best that you just search "stopped muzzle Rimfire" and start reading.

Lots of competing theories, but none of them seem to work like Bills in practice.

Mike

A stopped muzzle is a condition...it's not an accessory.

The explanation has been covered a million times over and is fairly complex in all...so it's best that you just search "stopped muzzle Rimfire" and start reading.

Lots of competing theories, but none of them seem to work like Bills in practice.

Mike
Is this the book for reading?
1722704604991.png

Hello everone,

I took @thomasair advice and found this, read it 😁

ThomasT

can the dwell time be adjusted for the pellet to leave the barrel at one of the nodes or anti-nodes?
As I understand it, that is the point of a tuner. You can change the barrel harmonics in many different ways to try and minimize the affect on the projectile. That includes tune, specific ammos, tuner, barrel material, barrel dimensions, barrel support, action design, etc.

And with respect to the above Barrel Stop, I read through the posts linked and have to disagree with the concept entirely. You simply cannot stop the muzzle/barrel from moving...ever. There will always be some amount of harmonic vibration movement. You can get that amount low, very low with the right design and setup but it will still move. Not to mention the idea of being able to now shoot different loads through the same barrel and the muzzle movement now has no affect on the projectile is easily proven false. Over the years I have ran into countless shooters with wild theories that kind of make sense at their range, but once you try it for yourself it is not repeatable. That is not exactly scientific, I should be able to reproduce any sound theory. I dont know, maybe Im one the crazy theory guys now lol.

yRqM8d9h.jpeg