Theoben Beeman Crow Mag / Theoben Eliminator Ser. # Location

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Beeman Crow Mag. in .20 cal. at the Baldwinsville Airgun Show. I bought it at a fair price because of the fact that it needs a rebuild and because there's a rather large spot of bare metal on the left side of the receiver tube, just below the scope mount. (See photos) I found a hand scribed number on the underside of the breech block. I'm preparing to send the rifle off to David Slade (he won't sell me the necessary parts) to be rebuilt. I'm trying to record the serial number prior to shipping and I'm starting to wonder if perhaps this bare spot on the receiver is the result of someone attempting to remove the number. I sure hope that this is not the case. If anyone can confirm where to find the serial number on one of these rifles, I'd very grateful.

Thanks in advance;

Kevin

20240830_083024.jpg

20240830_082613.jpg

20240830_082632.jpg

He won't sell you o-rings you can purchase anywhere? What a shame...

View attachment 492276
You just saved me a lot of time and money, my friend. This is great news and a wonderful bit of info. I can't thank enough for this. I've been repairing airguns for 40 years. I didn't even bother to tear the gun down when I learned (incorrectly, evidently) that I couldn't obtain the necessary parts. I have full confidence that I can repair this gun myself now. Thank you so very much!!!

You just saved me a lot of time and money, my friend. This is great news and a wonderful bit of info. I can't thank enough for this. I've been repairing airguns for 40 years. I didn't even bother to tear the gun down when I learned (incorrectly, evidently) that I couldn't obtain the necessary parts. I have full confidence that I can repair this gun myself now. Thank you so very much!!!
When you get it apart, I have a bunch of the correct “O” rings. Let me know the sizes and I’ll send them to you.

Yikes!
This airgun is "tangible personal property" . Didn't look up Federal, don't know your state either but say in TX , oh NO! Also know exactly what our local sheriff would say & do (and that's if you are his brother) as in " I will take that".
Who at the Baldwinsville Airgun Show sold this "jewel"? And can you contact them?
NO the police never seem to find stolen airguns but one could believe somehow this airgun is listed somewhere and possession is ............. .

John

Reactions: Bandito
Yikes!
This airgun is "tangible personal property" . Didn't look up Federal, don't know your state either but say in TX , oh NO! Also know exactly what our local sheriff would say & do (and that's if you are his brother) as in " I will take that".
Who at the Baldwinsville Airgun Show sold this "jewel"? And can you contact them?
NO the police never seem to find stolen airguns but one could believe somehow this airgun is listed somewhere and possession is ............. .

John
What? I thought it was confirmed the SN is intact and was not in the damaged location.

My pleasure. Another forum member helped me learn how to rebuild these guns. One of the conditions was to document and share. Enjoy!

Even if that wasn't done to remove the serial number, it still looks sketchy as hell and as a buyer I'd want a big discount before I'd consider dealing with it. That's not a normal location for that kind of wear and that's not normal wear. I highly suspect that someone did it to hide some distinguishing characteristic of that rifle.

Even if that wasn't done to remove the serial number, it still looks sketchy as hell and as a buyer I'd want a big discount before I'd consider dealing with it. That's not a normal location for that kind of wear and that's not normal wear. I highly suspect that someone did it to hide some distinguishing characteristic of that rifle.
I agree. Strange place for this kind of "wear".
I've been scratching my head to try and understand what could explain it.
I did buy it right because of these issues.
Fortunately for me, I still have my hot salts bluing system from back when I was in the business of firearms restoration.
That "wear" will be undetectable when I'm finished with it.

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Beeman Crow Mag. in .20 cal. at the Baldwinsville Airgun Show. I bought it at a fair price because of the fact that it needs a rebuild and because there's a rather large spot of bare metal on the left side of the receiver tube, just below the scope mount. (See photos) I found a hand scribed number on the underside of the breech block. I'm preparing to send the rifle off to David Slade (he won't sell me the necessary parts) to be rebuilt. I'm trying to record the serial number prior to shipping and I'm starting to wonder if perhaps this bare spot on the receiver is the result of someone attempting to remove the number. I sure hope that this is not the case. If anyone can confirm where to find the serial number on one of these rifles, I'd very grateful.

Thanks in advance;

Kevin

View attachment 492246

View attachment 492247

View attachment 492248
Kev
That gun landed in the right hands. Can't wait to see what the end result is.

I agree. Strange place for this kind of "wear".
I've been scratching my head to try and understand what could explain it.
I did buy it right because of these issues.
Fortunately for me, I still have my hot salts bluing system from back when I was in the business of firearms restoration.
That "wear" will be undetectable when I'm finished with it.
Yeah, and who knows when it actually happened. It could have happened back in the 1990’s and changed hands 5 times since then or it could have been stolen and then recovered. Anyone who has ever bought things off Craigslist or Facebook has probably purchased something that was stolen at some time.

Small patches of mysterious rust or corrosion occasionally appear on guns, yet the metal finish may still be fine elsewhere. That seems to be the situation here. I think it's just a rust spot that was sanded off by the prior owner.
That actually makes a lot of sense. A small patch of rust followed by the aggressive use of steel wool sounds very plausible. Imagine trying to clean up a little surface rust and having everyone think it was stolen afterwards.