Beeman P-17 Somewhat Unconventional Pellet Testing

I think the P-17 is about the best value in air pistols out there for shooting up to 50 feet (16.6 yards). I really like everything about mine. I like, but do not love, the trigger, but I digress. It shoots pretty well for me.

I am, however, cheap. I understand that clouds my judgement. I wanted to find out if pellets I used with my TX200 MKIII would perform with the P-17. I want to focus on having more of a few pellets. The AA 8.4, AA 10.3 and Norma Golden Trophy FT 8.4 work really well so I thought I would check them in the P-17. I know diabolo style pellets, rather than wad cutters, at 10 meters (or 50 feet) are less conventional. But ... again, I am cheap. I have been having really good luck with the Norma in the P-17 so this confirmed it was a good choice for me.

Today's pellet testing with the P-17.

I think the P-17 is about the best value in air pistols out there for shooting up to 50 feet (16.6 yards). I really like everything about mine. I like, but do not love, the trigger, but I digress. It shoots pretty well for me.

I am, however, cheap. I understand that clouds my judgement. I wanted to find out if pellets I used with my TX200 MKIII would perform with the P-17. I want to focus on having more of a few pellets. The AA 8.4, AA 10.3 and Norma Golden Trophy FT 8.4 work really well so I thought I would check them in the P-17. I know diabolo style pellets, rather than wad cutters, at 10 meters (or 50 feet) are less conventional. But ... again, I am cheap. I have been having really good luck with the Norma in the P-17 so this confirmed it was a good choice for me.

I don't hesitate to try any pellet on my p17🤣😅speaking of it...I wonder what it would do with a 10gr Slug at 10ft🤪🤙

I shoot RWS 7gr wad cutters at 80 feet. The best performance is with R10 match, but I can't really tell the differnce in the RWS Meisterkugelens, and I finnaly wound up shooting RWS Diabolo Basics, with great results. I'm talking about shooting shotgun hulls, CO2 cartridges, and bottle caps, from the bench. My empties. 20230514_204020.jpg

I shoot RWS 7gr wad cutters at 80 feet. The best performance is with R10 match, but I can't really tell the differnce in the RWS Meisterkugelens, and I finnaly wound up shooting RWS Diabolo Basics, with great results. I'm talking about shooting shotgun hulls, CO2 cartridges, and bottle caps, from the bench. My empties.View attachment 356576
I'm not real impressed with the RWS Hobbies so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: drpietrzak
Like others here I've found the P-17 not to be pellet picky. One of the pellets that this pistol shoots very well are the cheap Daisy pointed pellets and the Daisy wad cutters.
I've had several tins of these sitting around for a while because my other guns don't like them. Now I can finally put them to use.

Mine shoots every pellet with soup can accuracy at 20 yards that I have tried so far. The plain Crosman 7.9 domed pellets available at Walmart or Amazon for $6 did just as well as the expensive JSB 7.33's. Go figure. Great value and tons of fun.
Hi maxtrouble,
You want to kick it up a notch? Check this out.Screenshot_20230515_172047_Gallery.jpg

"Diabolo" is a term to describe a shape that resembles an hour-glass or a dumbbell.

Reactions: drpietrzak