Beeman P1... up to snuff?

Early P1 from the Santa Rosa era in .20
Using a jsb 13.43 I cronied it at an average of 320fps. With a spread between 329 and 309fps. On line specs say up to 500fps.
The pistol has been in deep storage for decades!
Will not bust a beer bottle at 10 feet.
Attached is what happens when shot at said beer bottle.
Shot cycle is smooth and accuracy is spot on.
I did put some Tune-in-a-tube on the spring.
Keep shooting it and hope to 'wake' it up?
Put a couple drops of silicone oil to the piston seal?
Or is this completely normal?

20230614_100924.jpg

My P1 had a half cock position.
I never used the half cock, because it shot a completely different impact point, than a full cock.
My P1 was a preorder from drawings that Beeman mailed me, before the gun was available. There were no pictures just that drawing. It was in the first shipment over.

Last edited:
These are the numbers from my .22 on high power with 11.9 Hobbys. Shoot it some to get it heated up and dry fire it twice, that should help.

View attachment 364509
Don't ever dry fire a P1, HW45. Its a springer, and it depends on a load to cushion the piston.
That piston would slam into the back of the gun, heading your direction.
The HW75, can be dry fired. It's a single stroke pumper.

Nope, @PEP3 is correct.
The PTFE seal on the P1 can be settled into the shape of the cylinder by dry firing a couple of times.
Unless of course it has an Aussie parachute seal fitted... 🇦🇺
Ok Im going by the Beeman Wiehrauch, info from the early 90's. Before mine was stollen. So if there is new technology fine, but I wouldn't ever dry fire a springer.

Ok Im going by the Beeman Wiehrauch, info from the early 90's. Before mine was stollen. So if there is new technology fine, but I wouldn't ever dry fire a springer.
Right, I am going to humbly wind my neck back in...
Weihrauch have never advised to dry fire the P1/HW45, it might have been a Beeman technician on Pyramyd Air some years ago.
Just glad I fitted an Aussie seal to mine and don't need to think about it. 😁

Right, I am going to humbly wind my neck back in...
Weihrauch have never advised to dry fire the P1/HW45, it might have been a Beeman technician on Pyramyd Air some years ago.
Just glad I fitted an Aussie seal to mine and don't need to think about it. 😁
Ouch! Sorry, just trying to help. I have never taken advice from those idiots at PA btw.

Reactions: Modski66
I have seen the advice to dry fire the pistol as well, in more than one place. Here is a link to info on it. It is tested and refurbed in this blog, there are several results for HW45/P-1 review and service.