Beginner here

Welcome!

If you're happy hunting small game, go with a .177 or .22 caliber. Bear in mind the larger caliber (.30 and up) guns use LOTS of air which makes your fill source very important. Do your research on pumps, tanks and compressors. If you don't plan to spend a lot of time at the bench target shooting you can get by using a pump. You won't shoot down to minimum pressure, just take your few sighting shots and the handful of shots on game in a typical hunt, then top off with the pump. If you shoot a lot, a tank or compressor will be a necessity. If you live where there are a lot of dive shops they may be a source for tank fills. Scuba tanks are OK for low pressure fill guns like the Beeman Chief or similar, but if you're shooting a PCP with a 3300 psi or higher working pressure a 4500 psi carbon fiber SCBA tank AND a way or place to get it filled will be necessary.
There are lots of options out there, bear in mind the more entry level guns often require some tweaking to shoot well. Ammo is also critical, most guns will group best with a particular brand and weigh pellet.

Good luck on the journey down the rabbit hole, and remember to enjoy the ride!

A couple suggestions for a rifle-(just my opinion and worth what you paid for it, LOL!)
The Daystate Huntsman- light, accurate out of the box, easy to shoulder and carry. Slight downside-OEM magazines are expensive, but aftermarket options exist.
1675652008924.png

The Benjamin Marauder-a bit on the heavy side, but a proven dependable rifle with great customer support from an American company, tons of aftermarket modifications available, extra magazines are inexpensive and readily available.
1675652238711.png

Search this forum when you start to narrow it down there is a LOT of give and take on virtually every gun out there, and compresors and pellets and tuning and and and and....this darn Rabbit Hole® is endless I didn't see where you said WHAT you wanted the gun to do, hunting (what??), targets, both? Oh yeah, then your budget.

Reactions: Mthesi
Welcome.
I am still very new to this as well. You are in the right place to learn. These folks will give you all the options you need or want.
Most importantly, figure out your uses and budget. Then double the budget. You will most definitely get what you pay for when it comes to
a weapon and equipment. The weapon is only the beginning. Your source of readily available air is a close second. Just setting up my new compressor today.

Once again, welcome. Oh yeah, you might want to go buy something nice for your partner and take them out to dinner. You will thank me later.

Doc

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Mthesi and ThomasT
Hey all,
I'm new to the site and airguns in general. Wondering what everyone has to say about a good starting rifle would be? I'm interested in PCP and hunting. My favorite rifle is a .308 winchester. What should I look for and why? Thanks in advance for all the support!
Hello @Mthesi

The best advice given here and follow it closely, is from @Doc Craker , "Once again, welcome. Oh yeah, you might want to go buy something nice for your partner and take them out to dinner. You will thank me later".

ThomasT

• Haha
Welcome!

If you're happy hunting small game, go with a .177 or .22 caliber. Bear in mind the larger caliber (.30 and up) guns use LOTS of air which makes your fill source very important. Do your research on pumps, tanks and compressors. If you don't plan to spend a lot of time at the bench target shooting you can get by using a pump. You won't shoot down to minimum pressure, just take your few sighting shots and the handful of shots on game in a typical hunt, then top off with the pump. If you shoot a lot, a tank or compressor will be a necessity. If you live where there are a lot of dive shops they may be a source for tank fills. Scuba tanks are OK for low pressure fill guns like the Beeman Chief or similar, but if you're shooting a PCP with a 3300 psi or higher working pressure a 4500 psi carbon fiber SCBA tank AND a way or place to get it filled will be necessary.
There are lots of options out there, bear in mind the more entry level guns often require some tweaking to shoot well. Ammo is also critical, most guns will group best with a particular brand and weigh pellet.

Good luck on the journey down the rabbit hole, and remember to enjoy the ride!

A couple suggestions for a rifle-(just my opinion and worth what you paid for it, LOL!)
The Daystate Huntsman- light, accurate out of the box, easy to shoulder and carry. Slight downside-OEM magazines are expensive, but aftermarket options exist.
View attachment 330044
The Benjamin Marauder-a bit on the heavy side, but a proven dependable rifle with great customer support from an American company, tons of aftermarket modifications available, extra magazines are inexpensive and readily available.
View attachment 330045
Thank you for the input! I appreciate your time!

I've been doing this a day or two... The only advice I can tell you is... No matter your air rifle of choice... Springer, co2, pumper, PCP.. don't go cheap.. you don't have to beak the bank... But something quality, reliable and durable.. starting out learning you don't want the hassle of "making it shoot better" starting out (save the budget stuff to rip apart and tweak on for later) .. Spoil yourself a little now...get a taste of what a quality air rifle can do right outta the gate . . You'll thank yourself... besides you'll end up there anyway..