• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

American Air Arms Bench vs Tripod

This morning wanted to test my shooting with my standing height tripod. I recently saw a thread about adding weight to guns to help with shooting. Thought I'd try it and made a very redneck attempt and it's working great! Anyways wanted to shoot and see how it helped my shooting off a tripod with no other support. So shot off the hood of my truck with my mini tripod with rear bag and then with my large tripod for standing. I shot my Evol Mini and Tikka T1X .22lr. So I was pleasantly surprised that there were no real differences. The added weight upfront really helps alot. Both top groups off the "bench" setup were 6 shots and the other lower groups were 5 shots. Very satisfied. And clearly I need to work on not pulling shots on the tripod....my top Evol was a little wind gust not a Pulled shot but both the bottom groups had pulled a shot low and right.
20230902_140256.jpg
20230903_063709.jpg
20230903_064450.jpg
20230903_064507.jpg

Interesting test and good shooting. I wouldn't call a mini tripod off the hood of a truck a "benchrest", however. I do a lot of shooting off a home made bench on the side porch of my house at 30 yard challenge targets. I've convinced myself that there isn't any magic way to shoot that will give me a 200 score easily. I bought a Caldwell BR rest and I can shoot well with it. But it needs a wide flat bottom of the forestock to help avoid cant and my guns don't have that. But with care, cant can still be pretty much eliminated and I can shoot well with it. But no better than I do with a bipod and my home made monopod in the back. Both rests allow me to move from target to target with a knob rather than repositioning the gun on the rest (or the rest) which I think is important for this bullseye shooting. Wouldn't be very important for shooting groups. I am more comfortable with the bipod so that is what I normally use now. I recently changed my bench making it twice as heavy but a bit lower. I was surprised that helped my "tall" bullpup, my Caiman X, and hurt my P35-22. Changing to a taller bipod seems to have restored things for the P35. But I take that as an example that getting my body in the right position is part of me being able to shoot well.

I am confident I could not shoot from either of these tripods as well as from my bench. But I believe I could still shoot pretty well. I also shoot sometimes sitting on a drywall bucket using sticks. I am not quite as accurate that way but much better than offhand or other positions where I don't have as much support. Sitting low on the bucket allows me to have my elbows on my knees aiding stability. If I need to shoot standing I look for a support of some kind. A post on my back porch, a tree or my standing bipod. I suspect your tripods would be more stable than my other standing positions and might be as good as sitting with sticks.

This morning wanted to test my shooting with my standing height tripod. I recently saw a thread about adding weight to guns to help with shooting. Thought I'd try it and made a very redneck attempt and it's working great! Anyways wanted to shoot and see how it helped my shooting off a tripod with no other support. So shot off the hood of my truck with my mini tripod with rear bag and then with my large tripod for standing. I shot my Evol Mini and Tikka T1X .22lr. So I was pleasantly surprised that there were no real differences. The added weight upfront really helps alot. Both top groups off the "bench" setup were 6 shots and the other lower groups were 5 shots. Very satisfied. And clearly I need to work on not pulling shots on the tripod....my top Evol was a little wind gust not a Pulled shot but both the bottom groups had pulled a shot low and right.View attachment 385981

In red above, sixth and sevenths words.
How...can you test YOUR...shooting when you are using shooting aids ?
Or, are you shooting out to 100+ yards, then I can see using help ? 30 yards, should be done, offhand.

You aren't testing YOUR shooting skills, you are testing the guns capability's when you use all of the stability paraphernalia ! And there's really not much need for that, most guns today are plenty capable of shooting good groups.

How...are...your handheld / offhand groups ?

Mike

Reactions: rayroz
I have never used a bipod nor tripod. My shooting rest has a thick sponge to absorb vibration at the shot.

I am a Hunter and it is not normally available a bipod to shoot when hunting. It is normal to try to rest the rifle at what ever you have at hand or get sitted and shoot rested in your knees.
That's funny I never go hunting without the use of a bipod or tripod. Much more solid then resting on your knee or propped up against a tree. I use what's available as well but to limit yourself or your ability to be more accurate on live game seems bass akwards to me.

Reactions: Chief Ten-Beers
When still hunting I carry a cheap Walmart shooting stick. I may or may not deploy it. Depends upon what type of cover is available. One thing a shooting stick(s) allows is that they keep me off the ground and away from things that might have ticks on them in the warm season.

Still hunting:

When shooting from a blind I have found my cobbled together tripod useful and stable enough to improve my accuracy:

Shooting from a solid bench on bags or a rest the rifle weight does not really matter, maybe even being heavy is useful. But from any sort of stick or tripod I find it easier to shoot well with a lighter rifle. This (aluminum) Marauder is 7.2 pounds as outfitted.

Last edited:
Good shooting! Do you happen to know the make/model of that mini tripod? I've been looking for one like that for months! Thanks in advance!
Looks like a Leofoto Ranger LS-223, there are different attachments available which change the model number. I have a LS-223CEX and a LS-223C. The prices are all over the place I have found, since it seems Leofoto doesnt import a lot into the US. I got mine for about $70 on ebay and they are crazy nice for that price.

Reactions: Dairyboy
In red above, sixth and sevenths words.
How...can you test YOUR...shooting when you are using shooting aids ?
Or, are you shooting out to 100+ yards, then I can see using help ? 30 yards, should be done, offhand.

You aren't testing YOUR shooting skills, you are testing the guns capability's when you use all of the stability paraphernalia ! And there's really not much need for that, most guns today are plenty capable of shooting good groups.

How...are...your handheld / offhand groups ?

Mike
My shooting isn't paper like yours is. My shooting is on pests 95% of the time. 50yds are my close shots stretched out to over 100yds. So yes offhand at those distances shooting in the wind at small pests with pellets makes a large difference rested vs not. I use them to further my range I can take pests out as does just about anyone else. No ego here to brag about offhand shooting skills. Only thing i shoot offhand are springers, my Notos, pistols and shotguns. Different guns and shooting positions for different uses.