Benjamin Benjamin Cayden scope rail issues

Did a quick search and found a few folks mentioning this, but didn’t see a thread that posted a resolution or definitive answer, so…

I have a Cayden I acquired recently from another member, but can’t mount a scope properly. Now, I’m no stranger to mounting optics, I’ve been a PB shooter for decades and never had any issue, but this one’s a head scratcher.

I’m using a set of Leupold MK4 steel picatinny rings. They’ll both mount to the rear rail (behind the breech), but the rail forward of the breech is of a different dimension than picatinny or Weaver, based on appearances. External dimensions of both Weaver and Picatinny are the same, but the slot dimensions are different. I don’t have a problem with the crossbolts seating, but rather the clamp doesn’t fit on the forward rail. I tried both available slots, and with both the ring doesn’t fit properly as the angle edge sits too low. I’ve attached several photos to show what I’m talking about.

The first photo shows that the corner angle of the two rail portions are at different heights.

IMG_5930.jpeg

The second photo shows how that angled corner is lower on the front rail portion than the picatinny rail at the rear.

IMG_5932.jpeg

Here’s a ring properly seated on the rear rail, showing the dimensions are correct.

IMG_5934.jpeg

These next two show that the front rail won’t permit the ring to fully seat because that corner is located too far down relative to the top of the rail. The ring begins to seat on one side, meaning the crossbolt fits tbe slot, but because the angled corner isn’t in the proper location, the ring can’t settle in on the other side. First photo is the rear of two notches, second photo is the forward slot allowing a better view of the ring’s relation to the rail.
IMG_5935.jpeg

IMG_5938.jpeg

And finally, the dinensions of both Pic and Weaver rails. These Leupold rings have a thinner crossbolt that allows their use on both sizes of slots.
IMG_5933.jpeg

Has anyone seen this before? I can’t use just the real rail as the scope isn’t far enough forward to establish a proper eye relief, and a cantilever mount won’t work as it wouldn’t allow the mag to seat fully. Am I looking at a warranty claim from Benjamin here? I’m not the original buyer, so I’m not sure what they’ll do, but either way the rifle is unusable to me in its present condition. Any suggestions would be appreciated, maybe I’m somehow overlooking the obvious and just need another set of eyes to help me figure it out. Thanks!

• Wow
Reactions: KatoKevin454
So I heard back from Benjamin:

“Good morning.
This issue is not something we have heard of. I can send out a new Picatinny Rail if you would like. Please let me know how to proceed.”

From what I can tell, that front rail is milled into the breech block and isn’t something you can just swap out. Maybe the seam where the rail meets the block was cut super precise on mine, but you can see it in the fourth photo down in my OP. I doubt that rail’s a separate piece, which is what I told them in my reply, so I’m now waiting to hear back from them again.

Maybe try another set of scope rings and see if thay mount better?

I tried some Seekins rings and they fit even worse lol. I’m going to buy a cheap set of Weaver rings today and see if they fit, because clearly picatinny rings don’t fit despite the description for the Cayden saying it’s a pic rail. Maybe that’s the problem.

That looks clearly out of spec. Also they are machined no replacing the rail.

I agree, but the warranty rep I’m talking to swears the rail is removable, sooo… 🤷‍♂️

I picked up a cheap pair of Weaver brand rings at Walmart. Surprisingly, they mounted right up. I think either it’s a picatinny rail that’s poorly milled, or it’s a Weaver rail that’s also poorly milled lol. The specs say picatinny, but my money’s on it actually being made to Weaver spec since these dropped right on. The Leupold rings have a thinner crossbolt than the Seekins I tried, which explains why they seated further than the Seekins did. They’re probably just a hair too thick. Either way, the rail itself is kinda wonky but if these work, then I guess I know to just run Weavers. The rail on my Akela is definitely Picatinny, as I’m running Seekins on it right now without any problems.

I’ll have them send me a rail I guess and see what they actually send me just for giggles lol. But at least for now, I’m in business. We’ll see if these cheap rings hold zero. I’m inclined to buy a nicer set online but we’ll see, I could be pleasantly surprised with these despite being spoiled by Seekins, Badger, Nightforce, etc.

The pic rail above the cocking lever, (rear pic rail) has two screws, remove them and the rail will come off. The front rail is fixed. is it possible the wrong pic rail was installed by mistake?

The front (non-removable, as I suspected) rail is the one that seems out of spec. The rear rail allows my MK4 rings to bolt right up, but a pair of Seekins doesn’t quite fit in the slots, which is why I suspect they’re actually Weaver (though I still haven’t measured anything). The front rail did allow the cheap Weaver rings to seat and clamp down as well. It’s not as neatly milled as the rear, but it works.

My guess is it’s just not a well-made example, but would technically be considered “iN sPeC” if I were to send it in, purely because Weaver rings work.

For an entry-level PCP that gets solid performance reviews, it’ll work fine with Weaver rings. My messaging with the Benjamin warranty rep has been unimpressive. Not bad, but they clearly don’t know their products well and are being fed info from someone else then relaying it to me, based on their wording and such. As such, I’m not going to pursue things too hard. I’ve asked for replacement rails (since they swear they’re both replaceable) and will see what I get and go from there, I suppose!

The front (non-removable, as I suspected) rail is the one that seems out of spec. The rear rail allows my MK4 rings to bolt right up, but a pair of Seekins doesn’t quite fit in the slots, which is why I suspect they’re actually Weaver (though I still haven’t measured anything). The front rail did allow the cheap Weaver rings to seat and clamp down as well. It’s not as neatly milled as the rear, but it works.

My guess is it’s just not a well-made example, but would technically be considered “iN sPeC” if I were to send it in, purely because Weaver rings work.

For an entry-level PCP that gets solid performance reviews, it’ll work fine with Weaver rings. My messaging with the Benjamin warranty rep has been unimpressive. Not bad, but they clearly don’t know their products well and are being fed info from someone else then relaying it to me, based on their wording and such. As such, I’m not going to pursue things too hard. I’ve asked for replacement rails (since they swear they’re both replaceable) and will see what I get and go from there, I suppose!
Any news update on your rail issue?

Any news update on your rail issue?

Got an email saying my warranty parts were ordered on the 5th. The notes say “picatinny rings,” so we’ll see what I actually end up getting…

I took the rifle out today with the cheap Weaver rings I bought. The rings are installed as correctly as I could manage (the cross bolts on them are tiny, like toothpicks lol), but I ran out of windage trying to zero the Athlon Midas Tac I out on it. It was then that I noticed the scope points to the left ever so slightly in the rings. So at this point I’m not sure if it’s cheap rings, a horribly out of spec front rail, or what.

I’m still quite sure that front rail is milled into the breech block, but I’ll keep this updated.

Update: Crosman sent me the cheapest set of 1” picatinny rings I’ve seen, to match the cheapest 30mm Weaver rings I bought… :ROFLMAO: 🤦‍♂️

IMG_6695.jpeg

I sent another email to Benjamin explaining that whoever helped me with this issue thus far (“Stephanie?”) sent rings when I need a rail. A rail that isn’t removable lol. I also asked for my case to be escalated to someone with a little more knowledge and technical prowess so maybe they understand what the real problem is. But even with their rings, they don’t mount correctly. The front rail section is 110% out of spec, pure and simple.

Front rail (I’m pushing down and to the right hard enough to turn my fingertips white to make sure the ring is seated as firmly as it can be, yet there’s still a huge gap on the left where the ring should meet the corner edge of the rail):
IMG_6690.jpeg

Rear rail (perfectly seated, as it should be):
IMG_6689.jpeg

We’ll see what they decide to do next lol.

Reactions: Dairyboy
Maybe contact airgun revisions Rich is knowledgeable. Include pictures and he might be able to help you.
Have you measured the notches on the front rail and then the back rail to see if Thay are the same? Maybe the notches are narrower on the front, and not allowing the scope ring bolt to seat in the rail?

Reactions: Dairyboy