Other Best .22 PCP for the cost, avoiding buyer's remorse...

I'd like to get a discussion going about the best PCP for the money that you invest, I'm specifically interested in .22 caliber for right now. I'm not saying I want an inexpensive gun or that I think a person needs to spend $4000 either, what I'm after is to get some opinions on what gun is best worth it's cost.

To give some context to why I'm thinking about this. I have an FX Maverick in .25 and a Skout Epoch in .30. They are both great guns but are expensive to buy and to shoot. I find that I have enjoyed both my .177 or .22 caliber guns much more as they are way less expensive to shoot, easier to manage the noise and generally just fun to use.

A little background for context, I've have owned or own, an Avenger .22 cal, FX Dreamline .22 Cal, Skout Epoch .22 cal (caliber change kit for my .30 cal). An Avenger .177 which I liked but didn't love and a Hatson Factor RC which I have a bit of a love / hate relationship with depending on how it's shooting (more about that another day).

I absolutely loved my .177 Avenger, I shot 1000's of pellets through it before I decided to replace it; but the .22 cal Avenger (a refurb) wasn't as good an owner experience for me, the gun just didn't shoot as good and, in the end, I returned it. Looking at resources about the Avenger, I considered doing all kinds of upgrades to it and getting a new .22, also doing the same upgrades to it; but based on my logic and thoughts it just made more sense to buy a gun that was closer to what I wanted and in the end less work and about the same money.

After a bunch of reading and videos I decided to get a FX Dreamline Compact Tact .22 cal, the gun is butter smooth but compared to my bigger guns it just doesn't have the oomph, shooting anything heavier than 15.89 pellets the gun just gets sporadic (the fps drops to low and I'm at max tune). Thinking the issue was the short barrel, I purchased the 500mm barrel kit for it (originally came with the 320mm). The 320mm barrel with 15.89 or lighter pellets or slugs works great, 1/2" groups at 50 yards. The minute I put the 500mm on the gun, my pellets go everywhere but on target (> 6" group @ 50 yrds). I've tried varying the speed, regulator, different moderators, no moderator, in the end I just gave up and put the 320mm back on the gun; I'll admit that it's likely tuning but I just don't know what's wrong with it when the longer barrel is installed and clearly I'm not smart enough or whatever to fix it.

The Skout Epoch in .30 cal is an amazingly accurate gun, its just unreal how nice this gun shoots. Converting it to .22 cal caliber with the kit is honestly a pain, trying to use the .30 cal tune results in ok accuracy and leads me to believe you really need to completely retune the gun or it shoots less than good. Based on my experience with the barrels on my Dreamline I just didn't want to risk trying to retune the Skout Epoch besides it takes 20 or more minutes to mechanically switch the caliber and I do like to shoot the .30 sometimes. So, in the end a waste of money as this isn't a good choice for me, honestly, I would only buy a caliber change kit for a gun in the future if I intended to permanently switch it over.

In the two years I've been doing PCP, I've had buyer's remorse more than once, the Avenger .22 Cal (refurb), my current .177 cal Factor RC, even my Maverick (I wish I had bought an Impact for the 100ish dollars difference, lack of experience and knowledge).

Hopefully I've painted a picture by now of how a person can make horrible choice due to inexperience and ignorance, I'm hoping that some of you with more of both will help to guide me into my next purchase. My plan is to sell my Factor RC, caliber change the Dreamline to .177 permanently and buy a new .22 cal gun.

I've been thinking about what gun I'd like to have for a .22 cal.. I really like the FX King but not really crazy about the stock or the price (> $2400), I think I'd like to own and Impact and the MK4 just released but also a big price tag, a Skout Evo or Epoch, etc... the FX DRS is an interesting option at ~$1000, same with the new Karma EQ (~$900), and we could go on and on.

This brings me back to my question, how much money should a person spend on a .22 cal PCP rifle, by extension, how does one evaluate the real value of say a FX King or Impact MK4 compared to say a FX DRS or Karma EQ or even an Avenge-X? Thoughts? What gun would you buy and why?

I'd like to get a discussion going about the best PCP for the money that you invest, I'm specifically interested in .22 caliber for right now. I'm not saying I want an inexpensive gun or that I think a person needs to spend $4000 either, what I'm after is to get some opinions on what gun is best worth it's cost.

To give some context to why I'm thinking about this. I have an FX Maverick in .25 and a Skout Epoch in .30. They are both great guns but are expensive to buy and to shoot. I find that I have enjoyed both my .177 or .22 caliber guns much more as they are way less expensive to shoot, easier to manage the noise and generally just fun to use.

A little background for context, I've have owned or own, an Avenger .22 cal, FX Dreamline .22 Cal, Skout Epoch .22 cal (caliber change kit for my .30 cal). An Avenger .177 which I liked but didn't love and a Hatson Factor RC which I have a bit of a love / hate relationship with depending on how it's shooting (more about that another day).

I absolutely loved my .177 Avenger, I shot 1000's of pellets through it before I decided to replace it; but the .22 cal Avenger (a refurb) wasn't as good an owner experience for me, the gun just didn't shoot as good and, in the end, I returned it. Looking at resources about the Avenger, I considered doing all kinds of upgrades to it and getting a new .22, also doing the same upgrades to it; but based on my logic and thoughts it just made more sense to buy a gun that was closer to what I wanted and in the end less work and about the same money.

After a bunch of reading and videos I decided to get a FX Dreamline Compact Tact .22 cal, the gun is butter smooth but compared to my bigger guns it just doesn't have the oomph, shooting anything heavier than 15.89 pellets the gun just gets sporadic (the fps drops to low and I'm at max tune). Thinking the issue was the short barrel, I purchased the 500mm barrel kit for it (originally came with the 320mm). The 320mm barrel with 15.89 or lighter pellets or slugs works great, 1/2" groups at 50 yards. The minute I put the 500mm on the gun, my pellets go everywhere but on target (> 6" group @ 50 yrds). I've tried varying the speed, regulator, different moderators, no moderator, in the end I just gave up and put the 320mm back on the gun; I'll admit that it's likely tuning but I just don't know what's wrong with it when the longer barrel is installed and clearly I'm not smart enough or whatever to fix it.

The Skout Epoch in .30 cal is an amazingly accurate gun, its just unreal how nice this gun shoots. Converting it to .22 cal caliber with the kit is honestly a pain, trying to use the .30 cal tune results in ok accuracy and leads me to believe you really need to completely retune the gun or it shoots less than good. Based on my experience with the barrels on my Dreamline I just didn't want to risk trying to retune the Skout Epoch besides it takes 20 or more minutes to mechanically switch the caliber and I do like to shoot the .30 sometimes. So, in the end a waste of money as this isn't a good choice for me, honestly, I would only buy a caliber change kit for a gun in the future if I intended to permanently switch it over.

In the two years I've been doing PCP, I've had buyer's remorse more than once, the Avenger .22 Cal (refurb), my current .177 cal Factor RC, even my Maverick (I wish I had bought an Impact for the 100ish dollars difference, lack of experience and knowledge).

Hopefully I've painted a picture by now of how a person can make horrible choice due to inexperience and ignorance, I'm hoping that some of you with more of both will help to guide me into my next purchase. My plan is to sell my Factor RC, caliber change the Dreamline to .177 permanently and buy a new .22 cal gun.

I've been thinking about what gun I'd like to have for a .22 cal.. I really like the FX King but not really crazy about the stock or the price (> $2400), I think I'd like to own and Impact and the MK4 just released but also a big price tag, a Skout Evo or Epoch, etc... the FX DRS is an interesting option at ~$1000, same with the new Karma EQ (~$900), and we could go on and on.

This brings me back to my question, how much money should a person spend on a .22 cal PCP rifle, by extension, how does one evaluate the real value of say a FX King or Impact MK4 compared to say a FX DRS or Karma EQ or even an Avenge-X? Thoughts? What gun would you buy and why?
What are you using it for? Paper, critters? Concerned more with accuracy or fpe or a balance? And what EPG said

I love my Dreamline Classic w/walnut stock in .22, very accurate and quiet with mod.. its hard to tell someone what to buy and not have buyers remorse. The BSA R10 SE .22 that AOA has on sale are really nice guns but are bolt action and a lot of people dont like them.. mine is very accurate maybe the most accurate gun I have or very close. Its a bit heavy scoped though.

Good luck with your search, its really hard to make ones mind up with all the choices out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blejda
Personally I think the older Eastern block bullpups are still hard to beat for the value. Taipan Veterans, Kalibrgun Crickets, and Vulcan/Uragans. Can find them used in the $1000 range. If looking for a good 30fpe .22 pellet shooter they are just plain hard to beat and very reliable guns. Or the Daystate Huntsman line are also great for the cost.

I miss the days of lots of great choices in the $1000-$1300 range then if you really wanted to step up the most were topped at $2000. Now the decent range is $1600-$1900 with others topping well over $3000.

I’d have to agree with Dairyboy. My current “good” .22’s are a M3 (slug), Zbroia, DRS, AAA Evol, Taipan and a FX Dreamtac Compact with a real barrel on it. I was soured also with the Dreamtac until I fixed its shortcoming. I just returned from a family outing where all the guns attended except the Zbroia. The family, all good shooters unanimously felt the Taipan was like cheating. My dad struggled with the comfort of the gun because he favors traditional, but still recognized that the shot cycle is just superior to everything. The shot cycle of my highly tuned and modded M3 was second.

So while you ask the impossible question, it’s going to boil down to you feeling comfortable with the gun. The $1,000 DRS might be a good choice. But I hope you are comfortable with the LOP of a preteen. M3? Fantastic pellet gun. But I promise you, you don’t need that complicated of an airgun to shoot a .22 pellet. Good luck trying to make the right decision. I think I have six or seven right decisions. Well, at least at the time.

Personally I think the older Eastern block bullpups are still hard to beat for the value. Taipan Veterans, Kalibrgun Crickets, and Vulcan/Uragans. Can find them used in the $1000 range. If looking for a good 30fpe .22 pellet shooter they are just plain hard to beat and very reliable guns. Or the Daystate Huntsman line are also great for the cost.

I miss the days of lots of great choices in the $1000-$1300 range then if you really wanted to step up the most were topped at $2000. Now the decent range is $1600-$1900 with others topping well over $3000.

100% agree.

Vets have always been much more refined than their price point would indicate. Very easy to spend more and get less.

More a fan of .25 and .30 but a while back Vetmx convinced a Taipan Veteran Standard .22 would be a worthwhile addition. Will admit most accurate PCP I own, so much so that sometimes target practice gets boring and I end up "trimming" weeds, or vines,
IMG_20220225_224102.jpg
growing near 50 yd backstop. WM

thats a tough one because there are so many options in your range all i can say is i have a gun for each situation meaning it depends on what i am doing but my favorite all around out to 120 yards or closer that still impresses the crap out of me to the point of amazement is my .22 benjamin akela i thought maybe i just got lucky but friend down in florida got one, his is amazing too

Perception of best value for money will be different for just about everyone.

Primarily I pest, then hunt snd I mostly do so with .177 and .22. So for me a high shot count is a must. In my experience guns that meet that criteria will the kalibrgun cricket, fx impacts, daystate delta and alpha, taipan (.177), uragan 1 and 2, vulcan 3. All of these offer over 100 shots from factory. And in my experience all of these are more than capable of shooting under half in groups at 50yds.

You may not need all those shots. You may be just fine with getting 30-50 shots off a fill, and for that shot count you can get a lot of guns that still provide the accuracy that these guns do for a much smaller price.

I haven't shot any Taipan .22 but if they shoot as good as the .177 and the .25 then you've got a winner. The mechanical Daystates shoot like a dream, and you can find them from $700-$1100 and those would be perfect if you are looking for a traditional rifle. Dreamlines are decent and lightweight, easy to tune and work on if need be but underwhelming in my opinion.

You get a Gk1, add a stock and a scope that's one hell of a pistol carbine set up that will allow you to do just about whatever you want and at whatever power you want. Pesting, target shooting, hunting. It can do it all and accurately. I love impacts the most and you can get decent deals for them out there. With my current m3 set up in .177 i can repeatedly shoot golf balls at 125yds and, my old m2 in .22 I would take iguanas out to 200yds no problem shooting slugs obviously but with pellets 100yds and in also wasn't a problem.

+1 on what Dairyboy said. My Tiapan mutant .22 is hard to beat. They just work.

Screenshot_20240730_091553_Strelok Pro.jpg

20240703_192649.jpg

Reactions: Perry Perry
As best I can understand your question, you want a good, reliable all-purpose .22. The answer is totally dependent on how well the rifle fits you physically, and simply your personal preference. I see this question asked in various forms frequently, and the answer has to be a result of the buyer's own due diligence. I haven't liked any FX rifle since the Royale/Boss line, yet many folks love them. Within the context of my own preferences, my recommendations would include the Daystate Revere, Weihrauch HW100, and RAW HM1000. If you like bullpups, then the Taipan Veteran (although I prefer the first generation). The chances that your preferences would mirror mine are very slight.

Last edited:
Why buy another rifle, unless you really wanted to :unsure:
Just get the Bull barrel in .22 for your Epoch.
the new barrel outperforms the OEM barrel
it will shoot slug/pellets, currently i am just trying out with pellets..waiting for their slugs
They are heavy! this will and 2lbs and change to your set-up, so i would not recommend a a carry rifle
you'll need a .22 probe in addition to the barrel
installation is simple...should take you less than 5 minutes
the new indexing system is a great feature on those barrels
As far as tuning the Epoch goes...get 2 digital pressure gauges from ORC in 1/8 NPT...the 25mm ones. The larger ones stick out too much
having the digital makes tuning soo much easier, but don't get too caught up on being exact.exact.exact ..it'll drive ya nuts
barrel + 2 guages = around $420 (edit) + probe(25) = 445
You have a great system with your Skout...expand it
Mike

Last edited: