Best bang for the buck?

As many know here I've had the privilege to own many different guns over the whole spectrum of budgets from say the lowly Benjamin Maximus to the top notch AAA Evol. Enjoyed most, some I didn't care for. But I gotta say one of the most bang for your buck guns out there has been the Umarex Notos. I was looking for a little gun to get for shooting pigeons that roost in our barn. Nothing special and preferred to be lower powered. Everyone kept talking about the Notos. I even made a thread telling people to talk me out of it hoping that people that had it maybe didn't enjoy it so I would move on and keep looking. A $250 gun can't be that good right? Boy was I wrong. I pushed it off as long as I could but once PA had them in stock I caved. Upon receiving I have taken probably 60 pigeons from our barn with it. Now I've shot it more than that just plinking at dirt clods or spinners cause it's just fun to shoot but being put to work it does an excellent job. I gotta say only hang up has been the stock mag is ok at best. Just got a CARM 12 shot for it and much better now. I gotta give it to the Notos for my uses it's been arguably the best bang for the buck gun I've shot to this day. Not my best gun and there's been others that I think were more than worth the money, but something about this Notos just really impresses me.

20230705_174439.jpg

What, in your opinion, has been your best bang for the buck PCP?

I think my best bang for the buck rifle has been my Mac 1 tune 177 discovery.. I bought it years ago from Tim.. I asked for it to be tuned to 12fpe with 8gr pellets. I still have it and it still a tack driver... Now it's used to teach the grandkids to shoot.. I still shoot it from time to time.. fun little gun

As many know here I've had the privilege to own many different guns over the whole spectrum of budgets from say the lowly Benjamin Maximus to the top notch AAA Evol. Enjoyed most, some I didn't care for. But I gotta say one of the most bang for your buck guns out there has been the Umarex Notos. I was looking for a little gun to get for shooting pigeons that roost in our barn. Nothing special and preferred to be lower powered. Everyone kept talking about the Notos. I even made a thread telling people to talk me out of it hoping that people that had it maybe didn't enjoy it so I would move on and keep looking. A $250 gun can't be that good right? Boy was I wrong. I pushed it off as long as I could but once PA had them in stock I caved. Upon receiving I have taken probably 60 pigeons from our barn with it. Now I've shot it more than that just plinking at dirt clods or spinners cause it's just fun to shoot but being put to work it does an excellent job. I gotta say only hang up has been the stock mag is ok at best. Just got a CARM 12 shot for it and much better now. I gotta give it to the Notos for my uses it's been arguably the best bang for the buck gun I've shot to this day. Not my best gun and there's been others that I think were more than worth the money, but something about this Notos just really impresses me.

View attachment 370246

What, in your opinion, has been you
I have to agree with you. Up to this point, I’ve had more fun with my Notos than ant other gun I can think of. Setting it up with sighting ‘devices‘, shooting groundhogs, blackbirds and other pests, dirt clods, leaves, and other ground debris. It goes with me every time I go to the range to shoot other guns, or work on hunting blinds on our club property.

I also got two CARM mags and they work perfectly. Easier to handle and 12 shots. I bought two PP750 mags and haven’t used them after testing for function.

Reactions: Dairyboy
Best bang for $ for me is also a snow peak gun. ~$160 PP800 in .25 cal bought from Wes @ airgunarcheryfun.ca Came as a sub 500fps (canadian gun). Best part... The barrel. Just stacks them. And being a .25 cal with a tiny air cylinder, you just cant get a tight ES. But the barrel does not care. Normally with a varying velocity you will get some manner of weird drift or something. Not here. Might get a tiny bit of drop if power falls off but that is easily anticipated and compensated for. Went from a 12fpe gun, modified the stock valve to 30+fpe, then cothran valve to 48fpe (925fps). I use it to take some relatively large pests.

Personally, I wanted to get a pp750 when they were announced, but simply could not and cannot justify the addition. I still want a pp700, too. I already have 4or 5 pistol/carbines that are just as capable in that power range. So, same applies to the notos. But does not take away from it's affordability or capability.

DSCF6025_edited.jpg

I have to agree about the Notos. It is about the HANDIEST air rifle I've ever had. Light weight and compact you don't even need a sling to carry it around all day in the woods. For the ranges it was designed for (up to about 50 yds. it is more than accurate enough for anything I want to do. I just bought 3 of the pp750 mags for it and they fit nice and snug but not too tight. I have not had any issues with the mags with about 100 shots through each, time will tell. Right now I'm using a red dot sight and for me it seems perfect. No problem taking a rat at 25-30 yds. with a Crosman 14.3 Hollowpoint which it loves and I'm getting around 800 fps. for my first couple of shots. It is the perfect gun to just sit out on a nice sunny day and enjoy nature and just wait for a target of opportunity. I consider it my "Knock Around Gun"

Reactions: Dairyboy
Best bang for $ for me is also a snow peak gun. ~$160 PP800 in .25 cal bought from Wes @ airgunarcheryfun.ca Came as a sub 500fps (canadian gun). Best part... The barrel. Just stacks them. And being a .25 cal with a tiny air cylinder, you just cant get a tight ES. But the barrel does not care. Normally with a varying velocity you will get some manner of weird drift or something. Not here. Might get a tiny bit of drop if power falls off but that is easily anticipated and compensated for. Went from a 12fpe gun, modified the stock valve to 30+fpe, then cothran valve to 48fpe (925fps). I use it to take some relatively large pests.

Personally, I wanted to get a pp750 when they were announced, but simply could not and cannot justify the addition. I still want a pp700, too. I already have 4or 5 pistol/carbines that are just as capable in that power range. So, same applies to the notos. But does not take away from it's affordability or capability.

View attachment 370300
Yea buddy!!🤪🤙
Before and after I touched it🥴
20230131_162734.jpgScreenshot_20230502_160012_Gallery.jpg