Best bang for the buck?

Well thanks to all of you I have 2 of the best budget guns out there(according to the interwebs!).
I know there are many others in the category but these two fit into my tight budget well. And are tunable.
My first was a .25cal AV Avenger, the second was a Notos.
I have no regrets about either, which is more than I can say for the rest of my airgun and firearm collection.

I hope when I've saved enough for a high end gun I'll be as happy...

With a new gun purchase...200

Screenshot_20230706-140617_Photos.jpg

Best bang for your buck airgun for me has been the Brocock Bantam Sniper HR in .25 cal. The gun can just plain flat out shoot consistently. Bought it used. I think the determining factor here is the shot count and coat of ammo. If those werenā€™t issues Iā€™d say a .357 Benjamin Bulldog. I can shoot pellets, slugs, and air bolts from a stock Bulldog. Plenty of fun for target shooting and plenty effective for hunting, but ammo costs.

Reactions: Dairyboy
I like shooting my BSA R10 as much as any of my other rifles. First of all, it is a .177 so a perfect caliber for urban backyard pesting. Second, it is a beautiful rifle to hold and behold. Lots of pride in ownership. Third it is laser beam accurate. I kill loads of sparrows and starlings without a miss. I just expect to hit where the crosshairs land on my target. The Huma Air shroud and internal moderator has this gun shooting super stealth mode, which means very backyard friendly. It is not too finicky about pellets or slugs. It likes the pellets on the heavier side, 10.3 and on up.

BSA R10b.jpg

It's nice you've had something for a while and think " that was money well spent " . My best bang for the least dollars would be the Gamo Urban . It has a 30 shot count , shooting 14.3 CHPs @ 860 fps average , w 23-24 fpe and super accurate.

I also have no regrets with my Taipan Vets that I purchased new at a great price . I'm getting a well built, accurate PCP at half the price many others are going for . Nice platform for hunting and pesting .

So I caved and bought the notos. So many on here and elsewhere praising it. figured Iā€™d give it a try.
now to premise, the last time I owned a ā€œbudgetā€ gun was my gemologist urban, and I was spoiled by that gun.

I received the Notos yesterday, and was able to unbox it and scope it up this morning. First impressions were ok. It feels tough, metal in most areas, very well balanced, and super light. Scoped it with a veyron 4-16 and aired it up ready for when I got back from work. I did not clean the barrel (maybe I should have), but I wanted to make sure it held air before shooting it.

so I get home from work, pull out the notes, load up the mag with cphp, and head out to the yard to sight in. First thing I notice, the cocking is very gritty, and very heavy for the power itā€™s producing. Again, sub $300 rifle, so to be expecited.

i take a couple shots, and the mag jams. A bunch of wiggling, and pushing, and it finally gets the pellet into the barrel. Damaged obviously by its accuracy. This happens 3 mor3 times before I threw in the towel and installed the single shot tray.
i continued to sight it in at 30yds, and itā€™s not very consistent. Iā€™m guessing due to my lack of cleaning the barrel, but more so, I was surprised at how loud it was. This moderator us the size of a sumo or snipe, and it barely does a thing to report. For such a low power setup, I would call it LOUD For what it is. Not happy there.

im not sure whether I want to keep it, and put work into it, or just return it for now. I wanted to set this up for ratting and low power barn work. So far, itā€™s too loud for ratting and barns, the trigger is horrible, the mag doesnā€™t work, and itā€™s stiff to cock.

other than that, I guess itā€™s ok. lol

im open to criticism. Other Notos owners chime in with your thoughts. Do I put the work into and make it ā€œniceā€ or do I send it back for a refund bc Iā€™m being too snobby?

Mines quiet as can be..cocking lever was a little gritty when 1st got it, put some lube on working joints and shot it smoothed right up, very easy to cock.
Mine will put 5 18 gr JSBs into less then a dime at 32yds if I do my part. You may need to adjust the center screw on mags might be too tight, mine was took 30 seconds to fix.. it is the perfect pesting/squirrel gun as far as Im concerned and Im not much on all metal AR type looking guns more of a nice wood/deep bluing type guy but I love the Notos.
Your inaccuracy could be partly due that it doesnt like CPHPs, mine shoots them decent but JSBs are light years better.
Trigger takes 5 minutes to make nice.

Mines quiet as can be..cocking lever was a little gritty when 1st got it, put some lube on working joints and shot it smoothed right up, very easy to cock.
Mine will put 5 18 gr JSBs into less then a dime at 32yds if I do my part. You may need to adjust the center screw on mags might be too tight, mine was took 30 seconds to fix.. it is the perfect pesting/squirrel gun as far as Im concerned and Im not much on all metal AR type looking guns more of a nice wood/deep bluing type guy but I love the Notos.
Your inaccuracy could be partly due that it doesnt like CPHPs, mine shoots them decent but JSBs are light years better.
Trigger takes 5 minutes to make nice.
I understand everything youā€™re saying, but I bought it to shoot cheap pellets quietly, and at fairly low power. If a cheap gun canā€™t shoot cheap pellets, itā€™s not worth it to me.

I understand everything youā€™re saying, but I bought it to shoot cheap pellets quietly, and at fairly low power. If a cheap gun canā€™t shoot cheap pellets, itā€™s not worth it to me.
no offense but that makes zero sense, you cant make a gun like cheap or expensive pellets you have to shoot what they like not what you like.. I guess buy a bunch of cheap un uniform pellets and see if you can get it to shoot any of them.. I just want my gun to shoot accurate be it a expensive gun that likes cheap pellets or cheap gun that likes expensive pellets.
Your playing a losing game trying to make a gun like pellets it doesnt.
You can always put it in the classifieds and get most of your money back. Good luck

So I caved and bought the notos. So many on here and elsewhere praising it. figured Iā€™d give it a try.
now to premise, the last time I owned a ā€œbudgetā€ gun was my gemologist urban, and I was spoiled by that gun.

I received the Notos yesterday, and was able to unbox it and scope it up this morning. First impressions were ok. It feels tough, metal in most areas, very well balanced, and super light. Scoped it with a veyron 4-16 and aired it up ready for when I got back from work. I did not clean the barrel (maybe I should have), but I wanted to make sure it held air before shooting it.

so I get home from work, pull out the notes, load up the mag with cphp, and head out to the yard to sight in. First thing I notice, the cocking is very gritty, and very heavy for the power itā€™s producing. Again, sub $300 rifle, so to be expecited.

i take a couple shots, and the mag jams. A bunch of wiggling, and pushing, and it finally gets the pellet into the barrel. Damaged obviously by its accuracy. This happens 3 mor3 times before I threw in the towel and installed the single shot tray.
i continued to sight it in at 30yds, and itā€™s not very consistent. Iā€™m guessing due to my lack of cleaning the barrel, but more so, I was surprised at how loud it was. This moderator us the size of a sumo or snipe, and it barely does a thing to report. For such a low power setup, I would call it LOUD For what it is. Not happy there.

im not sure whether I want to keep it, and put work into it, or just return it for now. I wanted to set this up for ratting and low power barn work. So far, itā€™s too loud for ratting and barns, the trigger is horrible, the mag doesnā€™t work, and itā€™s stiff to cock.

other than that, I guess itā€™s ok. lol

im open to criticism. Other Notos owners chime in with your thoughts. Do I put the work into and make it ā€œniceā€ or do I send it back for a refund bc Iā€™m being too snobby?
The mags are trash I had all kinds of trouble with mine and got a CARM instead. I can't comment out of the box as I lowered my reg and cut 2 or 3 coils off the spring before I put air in mine as I wanted to drop power as I only wanted around 12fpe. I got it to 15fpe and called it good. Trigger definitely needs adjustment but once done is super crisp. Accuracy never really put mine on paper but to sight in which was 3 shots. Has a red dot so I don't shoot groups with it. But did hit a 2.5" spinner at 75yds 3 times in a row with it so can't be that bad. I shoot cphps as i only shoot to maybe 30yds and does well. Will say most seem to like jsb variants though. Sucks your not enjoying yours man!

Reactions: madeintheuk