Best caliber for head shots on small pigs?

That was quite the takedown for a .177. I take it the Disco you're referring to is a Benjamin Discovery?
Forgive me, I'm not up to speed on all the airgun jargon.
Benjamin Discovery indeed, and that was not a piglet, not a small pig at all

ANMP0002.jpg

I've never shot hybrid slugs in any of my guns but I have tested penetration of expanding projectiles in both MDF and wet paper. Expansion reduces penetration in wet paper a LOT but it doesn't seem to do much of anything to MDF penetration. Heavier projectiles, even at equivalent energy, penetrate further in both (I think, I didn't back out energy differences).

Reactions: Raider03
Wasn't it Jim Shockey that did some videos of hog hunts with a gamo break barrel in 177? Why or lord why isn't he in jail for Animal Cruelty?!?!?!?!

Because no one cares about feral hogs that are decimating our farm lands... unless you're a cry baby snow flake who can't figure out how to keep their panties from bunching!
Tim Wells, Jim Shockey and AirArcher66 are not in the same league as a new guy getting on the forum asking for advice on caliber selection. It is irresponsible to advocate that a new gunner should sally forth with a 177 to slay hogs or pigletts when there are better options...

Reactions: Raider03
In the end or the day hunting with airguns will always come down to the hunter,

Unless you put your time in with a lot of practice, anathomy study and ready to be extremely patient to wait for the perfect shot and ready to let them walk if said shot is not presented......bigger airgun calibers will not bail you out.

A shot taken with even the slightest wrong angle with a 100 FOE .25 will result with failure ( read about the shot I took with just a slight wrong angle with a 200 FPE .357, it bounced of the skull, power and caliber did not bail me out )

For new hunters having a more powerful gun will give them the false sense of security that success will be easier to achieve and that is when troubles start.....force them to study, practice and be patient and they will be better hunters in the long term.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Here's one story of many of this kind ;

A few years back on GTA this guy bought a Marauder .25 to shoot cayotes from his house windows, he maxed the gun out and was ready to start shooting them.

I and a bunch of others tried really hard to make him understant the absolute necessity of shot placement and angles, but he was convinced that his .25 would make mince meat of the Cayotes as long as he put the shot in the head,.....well he headshot 3 and never recovered one, and eventually disappeared from the forum,
and Cayotes are way softer then Hogs.

Once again caliber and power will not substitute Practice, studying and patience.

Since everyone has an opinion, here is mine. If you’re not a hunter, you’re probably not a person the original poster wants to hear from. Many of us learn to shoot and hunt from being taught, practicing, and doing (practical application). We can become acquainted with plenty of information and possibilities from reading, but the knowledge comes from actual experience or witnessing someone doing these things (preferably in front of your eyes. Videos can be edited and altered). If you don’t have the time to practice or the space, then you cannot offer much of a valid opinion unless you’re some sort of professional observer or hunting photographer/videographer. That’s my take. If an experienced hunter or a professional hunter does something, does that mean that I can? On the extreme end (think Tim Wells with a blow gun), it’s highly unlikely. Otherwise practice should show me what I’m capable of and the data obtained from practicing builds confidence. Confidence and skill are what a proficient hunter should take into the field with them.

In response to the original question, asking what is “best” can leave the door open to a bunch of subjectivity once the shooter is factored into the equation.

Last edited:
We can get within 12-15 yards. Will start with smaller hogs first. So out of a Hatsan Flash which caliber would maximize penetration on a head shot? The Flash is available in .177, .22 and .25.
The OP's question is pretty straight forward. 177 would be the worst choice and IMO shouldn't have been included on the list.

ETA- AirArcher66 videos are impressive because they are extraordinary. The recommendation that a 177 is a hog killing tool is ridiculous. The fact that 177 use is dominating this thread is about chest thumping more than about helping a new hunter out. Kinda sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadeye Dick
The OP's question is pretty straight forward. 177 would be the worst choice and IMO shouldn't have been included on the list.

ETA- AirArcher66 videos are impressive because they are extraordinary. The recommendation that a 177 is a hog killing tool is ridiculous. The fact that 177 use is dominating this thread is about chest thumping more than about helping a new hunter out. Kinda sad.
Probably would be a good idea to research which has the most penetration before making a decision? Pay attention to the soup can in particular. ;)
Link to test

Since everyone has an opinion, here is mine. If you’re not a hunter, you’re probably not a person the original poster wants to hear from. Many of us learn to shoot and hunt from being taught, practicing, and doing (practical application). We can become acquainted with plenty of information and possibilities from reading, but the knowledge comes from actual experience or witnessing someone doing these things (preferably in front of your eyes. Videos can be edited and altered). If you don’t have the time to practice or the space, then you cannot offer much of a valid opinion unless you’re some sort of professional observer or hunting photographer/videographer. That’s my take. If an experienced hunter or a professional hunter does something, does that mean that I can? On the extreme end (think Tim Wells with a blow gun), it’s highly unlikely. Otherwise practice should show me what I’m capable of and the data obtained from practicing builds confidence. Confidence and skill are what a proficient hunter should take into the field with them.

In response to the original question, asking what is “best” can leave the door open to a bunch of subjectivity once the shooter is factored into the equation.
Maybe the "best" should read the most robust. Robust being the solution least sensitive to changes/errors.

Maybe the "best" should read the most robust. Robust being the solution least sensitive to changes/errors.
After reviewing the original post I realize that the OP did not use the word “best” in his question. That word was introduced by others in their responses. In any case, “robust” doesn’t seem necessary when focusing on which caliber provides maximum penetration for a brainshot on a hog if we’re discussing projectile calibers. Even if we’re talking about guns, the robustness of the gun doesn’t seem too pertinent to the original question. My apologies to all. I didn’t mean to derail the thread or to put words in the OP’s mouth, so to speak.

Here is a phenomenal example at how efficient a powerful .177 airgun is :

After reviewing the original post I realize that the OP did not use the word “best” in his question. That word was introduced by others in their responses. In any case, “robust” doesn’t seem necessary when focusing on which caliber provides maximum penetration for a brainshot on a hog if we’re discussing projectile calibers. Even if we’re talking about guns, the robustness of the gun doesn’t seem too pertinent to the original question. My apologies to all. I didn’t mean to derail the thread or to put words in the OP’s mouth, so to speak.
With all due respect, the concept of robustness applies to any task.

OP used the word "BEST" in the title.

Probably would be a good idea to research which has the most penetration before making a decision? Pay attention to the soup can in particular. ;)
Link to test
With all due respect, limiting the 25 to 12ft/lbs to give the leg up to a puny little 177 is not relevant. OP is not looking for input on a 12ft/lb gun or a 25 doing 450 fps.

Out of curiosity, is that your youtube channel?

We can get within 12-15 yards. Will start with smaller hogs first. So out of a Hatsan Flash which caliber would maximize penetration on a head shot? The Flash is available in .177, .22 and .25.
Also let's remember the original opener from the OP,

Penetration on a head shot on small pigs from 12-15 yards ?.......I stand my grounds that a powerful .177 is a fantastic option.

As seen from our friend Rallyshank post on his big boar kill with, yes a .177.

Once more, the hunter is the main part of the equation not the caliber, a bad shot with a 100 FPE .25 will not bail you out