• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best Fixed Optic for Compact Wildcat MK3

@bjordan On trading your Wildcat, I suggest waiting until you have privileges to access the "classifieds" forum, then taking out a WTT (want to trade) ad. This explains that process more on depth.

As for scope recommendations, it's nearly impossible for us to tell you what would be "best" for your eyes. Have you considered a fixed magnification prismatic scope like the ones offered by Element Optics? What's your price range/budget for a scope anyhow? Do you prefer a certain type of reticle? first or second focal plane? Illuminated reticles?

I do a lot of squirrel hunting in KY and I was wondering what suggestions y'all had out there for a quality optic for short to medium range for hunting in the forest.

I currently have a wildcat mk3 sniper and would like to trade for a mk3 compact if anyone is interest.

Does it have to be fixed? That does limit your options quite a bit. So just curious if you have specific reasons for wanting fixed power.

I myself do A LOT of short to medium range woodland squirrel hunting and have found the 3-12x scopes to really work well while being light and compact. When shooting 10-20yds it's nice to be able to dial the magnification back to 4-8x, but then dial it up to full power for shots 40yds and beyond. My max is usually 50yds with an occasional reach out to 60yds or so.

The Vector Veyron 3-12x FFP is a great choice at around $160 retail from Optics Planet. I have two of them and they are a great value for the money.

A noticeably better scope is the US Optics 3-12x (TS-12x is the model name if I recall). It's quite a bit more expensive at about $550 retail, so its over 3x the cost of the Veyron, but definitely not 3x as good. It's maybe a 20-30% improvement over the Veyron (IMO), so it's up to the shooter to decide if that justifies the 3x cost increase. I do like mine, though. But not on every gun at that price.

You'd be hard pressed to find better scopes in the 16-18 ounce range than the two listed above. The nicer ones tend to get to be 25 ounces and above. I like to keep my rigs quite light for woods walking.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
I do a lot of squirrel hunting in KY and I was wondering what suggestions y'all had out there for a quality optic for short to medium range for hunting in the forest.

I currently have a wildcat mk3 sniper and would like to trade for a mk3 compact if anyone is interest.
I have always wanted a fixed Schmidt Bender in a six or eight power. I plan on buying one soon. Payment plan of course.

@bjordan On trading your Wildcat, I suggest waiting until you have privileges to access the "classifieds" forum, then taking out a WTT (want to trade) ad. This explains that process more on depth.

As for scope recommendations, it's nearly impossible for us to tell you what would be "best" for your eyes. Have you considered a fixed magnification prismatic scope like the ones offered by Element Optics? What's your price range/budget for a scope anyhow? Do you prefer a certain type of reticle? first or second focal plane? Illuminated reticles?
Oh nice, I didn't realize I needed to wait for privileges. Thanks for the info

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Does it have to be fixed? That does limit your options quite a bit. So just curious if you have specific reasons for wanting fixed power.

I myself do A LOT of short to medium range woodland squirrel hunting and have found the 3-12x scopes to really work well while being light and compact. When shooting 10-20yds it's nice to be able to dial the magnification back to 4-8x, but then dial it up to full power for shots 40yds and beyond. My max is usually 50yds with an occasional reach out to 60yds or so.

The Vector Veyron 3-12x FFP is a great choice at around $160 retail from Optics Planet. I have two of them and they are a great value for the money.

A noticeably better scope is the US Optics 3-12x (TS-12x is the model name if I recall). It's quite a bit more expensive at about $550 retail, so its over 3x the cost of the Veyron, but definitely not 3x as good. It's maybe a 20-30% improvement over the Veyron (IMO), so it's up to the shooter to decide if that justifies the 3x cost increase. I do like mine, though. But not on every gun at that price.

You'd be hard pressed to find better scopes in the 16-18 ounce range than the two listed above. The nicer ones tend to get to be 25 ounces and above. I like to keep my rigs quite light for woods walking.
Thank you that was really helpful. I'll check out the scopes you mentioned. You make good points on not needed to be fixed.

both these scopes work well for hunting, the one on the springer is UTG bug buster 3-12 priced very reasonable

11.jpg

06.jpg

Cant beat a straight duplex reticle 3x9x40 scope for squirrel hunting, 99 percent of your shots in the woods with leaves on trees are under 40 yds more near 25.. most pcps can shoot out to 35-40 yds with no hold over. And FFP to me sucks for trying to hunt in woods if you need to turn power down below 8-10, reticle disappears in the leaves when trying to shoot a squirrel, for hunting sfp is best. At least for me it is.

6x SWFA is a excellent scope as already stated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clifton