Other Best hunting rest for a Gas ram?

I like a Harris bipod from the sitting position. But it's not as good as a natural hold using your body/knees to rest the rifle.

The standard sitting position using no aids or rests works best for me. I like to pull my backpack into my lap and hug it with my elbows on my knees. The rifle rested in the bend of my offhand arm. It's almost as solid as a bench.

Last edited:
Reactions: BABz58
I stuff the yoke with a sock and shoot this with an airgun and shoot plain with a firearm. Very fast to set up shooting position but does not get low enough for prone position. I have a separate tripod for that. During elk hunt, my guide used these. Can be used as a bipod and monopad but since so adjustable as a tripod, I never saw the need. Going to use this for squirrel hunting.

A camera tripod. $5 at the thrift store. It works dandy.

20240901_184524.jpg

Reactions: JDR
I have not been able to find a steady shot with sticks. The position in my Avatar works fairly well. As long as your feet are not uphill and as long as your belly doesnt get in the way.

Exactly how I do it!

Most guys rest elbows on knees and hold the rifle when sitting. We fold up all the way. I don't have much belly so I put a small day pack in my lap to squeeze on.

It's hard for me to get up from that position now. I kinda flop around for a while before I get my legs under me. Sometimes I roll down the hill before I get upright. But it's a nice solid position. Especially hunting ridges in open country.

Last edited:
Exactly how I do it!

Most guys rest elbows on knees and hold the rifle when sitting. We fold up all the way. I don't have much belly so I put a small day pack in my lap to squeeze on.

It's hard for me to get up from that position now. I kinda flop around for a while before I get my legs under me. Sometimes I roll down the hill before I get upright. But it's a nice solid position. Especially hunting ridges in open country.
I totally get your explanation. I’m sure it would be quite amusing if someone was watching me trying to get up.

I totally get your explanation. I’m sure it would be quite amusing if someone was watching me trying to get up.

In my younger days i could drop into position and get off an accurate shot WAY out there. Then spring up like a cat and run 100 yards toward my target before they realized they were hit. I could skin and quarter it, pack it five miles and still swing the ladies around at the cowboy dance that evening.

Now I use the butt of my rifle to get up off the ground. If I had to run 10 steps up a hill I would need a nap and ibuprofen.

I'm considering litigation. This wasn't in the contract I signed as a young man. It was a bait and switch scheme.

The old men told me it was going to happen. I didn't believe them. I was a completely different species.

One day I got old but it took me ten years to realize it. Now I'm pissed about it. I didn't sign up for this crap.

In my younger days i could drop into position and get off an accurate shot WAY out there. Then spring up like a cat and run 100 yards toward my target before they realized they were hit. I could skin and quarter it, pack it five miles and still swing the ladies around at the cowboy dance that evening.

Now I use the butt of my rifle to get up off the ground. If I had to run 10 steps up a hill I would need a nap and ibuprofen.

I'm considering litigation. This wasn't in the contract I signed as a young man. It was a bait and switch scheme.

The old men told me it was going to happen. I didn't believe them. I was a completely different species.

One day I got old but it took me ten years to realize it. Now I'm pissed about it. I didn't sign up for this crap.
Oh yeah the days we were indestructible and I heard that wisdom from the older and wiser ones. Now my kids and grandkids hear it from me.

I got a smile reading fishing43's comment.
I got where it about choked me to tie my shoes. A year ago I started dieting with no soda or beer. I progressed with slowing down on the carbs. Then in October, at my annual physical the doctor said DIABETIC! So for the last year I have controlled the blood sugar by diet only. Lost 35 pounds and have 15 more to lose. The silly sounding internet thing about drinking a glass of water with lemon works. It builds up Vitamin C in your body. I now drink water with lemon anywhere eating out. If they don't serve it I won't be back. I can now try to shoot from sit position. Now back to your regularly scheduled program. Be Well Brothers, and God Bless, Bandito.

Last edited:
"One day I got old but it took me ten years to realize it. "
Ain't that the truth !

last week i planed an "Afternoon " project . took me almost a week . Constructed a gun rack , simple sit on the floor 6 rifle rack , had stencills to trace the cutouts .
Stan in Ky .

So...what kind of rest is best for someone sitting down on the ground with a gas ram in the lap? I've been experimenting w/ DIY shooting sticks and shooting off of hand padded knee. Looking for the best type of rest for when sitting. Shooting distances: 10 to 20 yards.
maybe check out the shooting harness that Field Target shooters use ? OR making a DIY one ?

Reactions: Bandito
I use a complex system of hydraulic cellular membranes controlled by a neuroprocessor implanted behind my eyes. It interfaces with the rifle via a telekinetic connection with the antenna mounted on the front of the barrel. The hydraulics automatically adjust for windage and elevation thanks to a technological breakthrough called the "rear sight". It works in conjuction with the antenna on the front and allows the neurological processor to control the hydraulics and aim accurately.

Its all automatic. All I have to do is pull the trigger.

The very best shooting aid I can recommend is a comfortable pair of hiking boots with plenty of ankle support. A hat, loose fitting pants and a canvas shirt that fits properly across the shoulders.

Last edited:
Reactions: fishing43