best materials to clean you barrel

felt pellets are like using a feather duster on dried mud ...doesn't do much.

I'll take your word for it, but people rant and rave about them in reviews, and people are quick to write negative reviews when applicable. One chap even mentioned being disabled and how it helps him as he wouldn't be able to perform the task otherwise...so, it's just a good mention imo.

If they fit snug in a barrel, there should not be any difference between pulling a felt patch/pellet through yourself or letting air do it.

-Matt

I'll take your word for it, but people rant and rave about them in reviews, and people are quick to write negative reviews when applicable. One chap even mentioned being disabled and how it helps him as he wouldn't be able to perform the task otherwise...so, it's just a good mention imo.

If they fit snug in a barrel, there should not be any difference between pulling a felt patch/pellet through yourself or letting air do it.

-Matt
if the debris is loose enough to be removed by a felt pellet...then it would have been removed by the next lead pellet shot ..imo

if the debris is loose enough to be removed by a felt pellet...then it would have been removed by the next lead pellet shot ..imo

I don't think lead pellets removes lead, rather contribute to more deposits, however very snug felt absolutely will just as good as an equally snug patch pulled through by hand.

-Matt

Patchworm kit and a small bottle of ballistol is all you need.
after reading through this patchworm kit seems like it will fit the bill
i was thinking about those rope type but also was also thinking what some of you said be careful of the (breech) (thimble) o ring.

so how my mind thinks is your dragging a dry weaved rope over a rubber o ring with friction which creates heat and if not careful could ruin that little o ring.
or am i overthinking this? lol

to me it makes sense how the patchworm works and using the ballistol cleans and preserves the barrel
i put probably 500 shots give or take through my new barrel set up on my Notos and was reading some articles about cleaning them
so what better place to come to ask

thanks again guys its nice to be able to go on a forum and get honest answers

Patchworm kit and a small bottle of ballistol is all you need.
after reading through this patchworm kit seems like it will fit the bill
i was thinking about those rope type but also was also thinking what some of you said be careful of the (breech) (thimble) o ring.

so how my mind thinks is your dragging a dry weaved rope over a rubber o ring with friction which creates heat and if not careful could ruin that little o ring.
or am i overthinking this? lol

to me it makes sense how the patchworm works and using the ballistol cleans and preserves the barrel
i put probably 500 shots give or take through my new barrel set up on my Notos and was reading some articles about cleaning them
so what better place to come to ask

thanks again guys its nice to be able to go on a forum and get honest answers
I could generate heat, but it's never generated enough heat to damage my orings and I shot 1000's with no need to replace the o ring

Reactions: 88turbocoupe
One of the nicest things about airguns is how little cleaning they require. I wipe the outside of my blued guns down with oil after almost every use, but other than that I hardly clean them at all and they don't seem to suffer for it, or even get particularly dirty. I had been treating a rimfire of mine similarly and when I eventually looked down the barrel I was shocked by how filthy it was.

There does seem to be a significant difference in how quickly they get dirty though depending on who made the barrel. I've noticed that my Hatsans pick up dirt way quicker than other makes. I'm guessing the barrels are just rougher inside.

One of the nicest things about airguns is how little cleaning they require. I wipe the outside of my blued guns down with oil after almost every use, but other than that I hardly clean them at all and they don't seem to suffer for it, or even get particularly dirty. I had been treating a rimfire of mine similarly and when I eventually looked down the barrel I was shocked by how filthy it was.

There does seem to be a significant difference in how quickly they get dirty though depending on who made the barrel. I've noticed that my Hatsans pick up dirt way quicker than other makes. I'm guessing the barrels are just rougher inside.

Some barrels definitely could benefit from a nice polish to reduce that surface roughness, but if they're shooting, who are we to be hooting!

-Matt

So I would need a very thick type of WW String i suppose?
If you try the end-melting technique, no. You want maximum difference between string diameter and the flattened flange. I've never had one fail. I'm sure the method of cutting a slot works too, it's just a bit more tedious to construct and use. Once again, my lazy-man syndrome kicks in.

• Love
Reactions: Chief Ten-Beers
When I used weed whacker line I doubled it and put the patch in the center. I made my own cleaning patches from an old t-shirt. Worked fine. But I use the patchworm now. It's just easier and does at least as good a job. I also bought a pack of 500 cleaning patches too. I think they are 7/8 inch in diameter. That will last me a long time and it was only about $10. I'm cheap but not cheap enough to mess with making my own if I can get a lifetime supply for $10.

I tried a bore snake type product but it did not work for me. I might have done something wrong. I tried those cleaning pellets too and they did not seem to do anything. Again, it might have been how I used them.

I've also used WD40 instead of ballistol. If I run out and needed to clean a gun I would use it again. But I am pretty darn settled on the patchworm and ballistol. Not because nothing else will work but just because they are simple and cheap and work great.

Reactions: Chief Ten-Beers
When I used weed whacker line I doubled it and put the patch in the center. I made my own cleaning patches from an old t-shirt. Worked fine. But I use the patchworm now. It's just easier and does at least as good a job. I also bought a pack of 500 cleaning patches too. I think they are 7/8 inch in diameter. That will last me a long time and it was only about $10. I'm cheap but not cheap enough to mess with making my own if I can get a lifetime supply for $10.

I tried a bore snake type product but it did not work for me. I might have done something wrong. I tried those cleaning pellets too and they did not seem to do anything. Again, it might have been how I used them.

I've also used WD40 instead of ballistol. If I run out and needed to clean a gun I would use it again. But I am pretty darn settled on the patchworm and ballistol. Not because nothing else will work but just because they are simple and cheap and work great.
In my experience, WD-40 works great as a cleaning agent, crappy as a lube. I also use Ballistol most of the time. There are lead solvents that work better for serious leading, but that should rarely be needed in an air rifle barrel. Although, I suppose that some of the HP stuff might be different.