Best pellet for Benjamin Bulldog

You might try ordering a few extra barrel supports ( whatever they call the air stripper or shroud locator) and installing those. Same idea as the after market parts but much better (stiffer) tolerances. Esp. in the first run of them this does decrease group size with most ammo.

And what are your group sizes now? If your looking for 1" at 100 you may need a bit of tuning.

Post up some groups, lot's of folks can tell a good bit by just looking .

John

For pellets, you need to test the following pellets. Here are my order of preference:

1) 81gr Predator Polymag - most consistent 35 cal pellet made in terms of head sizes and weight, but also most expensive.

2) 97.5gr Morril Diabolo - consistent, great BC and hits like a truck. Due to high BC, I use this for 125 yards and further.

3) 81gr JSB - inconsistent head sizes, still shoots well, although I prefer the above 2 options.

Don't limit yourself to pellets with the Bulldog, it can actually do better with slugs.

I had my Bulldog converted to a Pitbull Mega but even before that the NSA stuff shot well. These to were best that I tested. I filled to 3200 and got a good 5 shot string and 1 1/2 groups at 100 yards with the 110gr sized to .357 ( I tried both sizes too)

NOTE it is important to lubricate slugs to limit barrel fouling when pellets don't need it so much.

https://nielsenspecialtyammo.com/collections/357-cal/products/100-grains-swaged-hollow-point-35-caliber-sized-355-to-358-100-count

https://nielsenspecialtyammo.com/collections/357-cal/products/142-grain-hollow-point-boattail-air-rifle-pellets-35-caliber-air-gun-slug-swaged

I've taken 14 hogs with one or the other of these two bullets.

I think if I had it to do over I would have gone for the long tube and smaller moderator.... But the Mega moderator sure is quiet!

Since I converted to a Pitbull, this is 'the One' I have been shooting exclusively! Casts as a 148gr. (I think Mr. Hollowpoint sells them on his bullet website)

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=35_590&products_id=5622

Here are my results with mine tethered, it only has the DePinger and Moderator added.

1562385796_20755094265d201d84a57721.60100036_F27A60E4-9597-4FBF-8650-5268DC5228F7.png

Does the Nosler 145 gr pellet expand reliably on deer size game?

I've only shot a couple of hogs with it and was disappointed. It DID punch right through at 45 yards and left a small exit hole with no sign of expansion either time. One hog was shot through the heart and still managed to go a fair distance, the other was a head shot so DRT but even the skull exit was barely over .35 caliber.

The bullet 'looks' great but just does not perform in airguns is my opinion and also the opinion of every serious shooter I know.

On the Aeromagnums, I question if they are actually in business any more... Everybody has them in their catalogs but if you notice they're Out of Stock everywhere and have been for a year. I had three different companies that I had backorders at cancel them eventually. I agree they are great bullets, and I have 7 boxes of 50 squirreled away.

I'm also going to say that I absolutely think the 145gr is too heavy in an unmodified Bulldog and gets low velocities. (The openning up of the valve passage and barrel port [ie Pitbulling] WILL give decent 850 FPS or better with such heavyweight slugs).

Again, the 110 to 130gr work well in plain Jane Bulldogs.

And an update: I said in an earlier post here that the Pitbull was a great rifle.... Well, much better than the Bulldog but not as good as my .357 Texan BUT then I got my .357 FLEX+ back from upgrading and it was a much better handling and shooting rifle. THEN I got a .357 Slayer and it is THE ultimate air rifle I've ever owned. Probably sell the others as it is light, handles better than all the rest and is VERY powerful.