• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Best scope for benchrest?

Benchrest where distance is known and does not change go SFP.

FFP reticle is FAT at high power and you want to be at higher power in Benchrest.

If gun is to be dedicated for benchrest I would recommend a high power fixed magnification.
I absolutely agree with Larryt, I’d recommend a high power fixed magnification scope.

The thinner reticle vs. an FFP scope is one good reason. A fixed magnification will also weigh less (some benchrest competitions have total weight limits) as well as provide better light transmission - brighter - than a variable magnification scope.

A magnification of 36x to 45x is critical if you plan to compete in 100 yard benchrest. The reason is that you need to clearly see your pellet holes at 100 yards - even .22 caliber holes.

I have a friend who did not qualify for the finals of a 100 yard benchrest competition - because he could not see the holes with his scope - and his target was cross shot by a competitor in another lane. He went from the lowest score in round one (due to cross shots) to the highest score in round 2. So it’s critical to have high magnification at 100 yards if competing.

Even in the Pro division there were some cross shots. I had it happen to me as well - just one stray shot from a competitor.

Just my 2 cents of opinion on the subject.

-Ed

Ffp or sfp?
Regarding the type of scopes, SFP are definitely a better choice for benchrest shooters.
But first of all, you need to determine the discipline of benchrest shooting. what distance do you want shoot? 25 and 50m or 100 yards and above?
Benchrest scopes with fixed power magnification usually start at 36x and go up to 45x used by short range benchrest shooters.
scopes like Weaver T36, Sightron 36*42 BRD are in the category of classic BR optics with a reasonable price and under 1000 dollars. You can also find scopes in the 36x to 50x range from brands such as Leupold, Sithron SIII, March, and Nightforce, all of which cost upwards of $1,000 to $2,500.
Some shooters in the 100 yard class get better results from variable magnification optics with mildots reticles.
I have almost 9 years of shooting experience in air rifle benchrest , I think optics like Element and some other opticss that are introduced in EBR and RMAC competitions are not suitable for benchrest and getting the highest score.

Reactions: BSJ and bf1956
I have Sightron SIII ED in 36x and 45x ($1,100 scopes)
I also have Sightron SII 36x ($500 scope)

You can get the SII 36x on sale for less than $500…

If you want to get into benchrest target shooting, you really must try the SII 36x Sightron. It is freaking amazing for the money. You are going to have to spend over $1,000, and likely well over 1,000 to top its performance.

Its also relatively lightweight.

I have no idea what the best would be, I imagine it would depend quite a bit on the distances you shoot and the projectiles you're using. But if I was going to get a pure benchrest scope for myself, it would be the "Mini" March Genesis, that's the 4-40x zoom range. They also have a 6-60x "big boy" but that gets into zoom ranges I can't imagine I'd ever use.

Other than the quality, one of the main things I like about the March is the extreme tilt you can put on the scope. So if you get into lobbing pellets long distances, you don't have to do any exotic modifications to your scope mount. It's ready for pretty much anything you want to try.

I have no idea what the best would be, I imagine it would depend quite a bit on the distances you shoot and the projectiles you're using. But if I was going to get a pure benchrest scope for myself, it would be the "Mini" March Genesis, that's the 4-40x zoom range. They also have a 6-60x "big boy" but that gets into zoom ranges I can't imagine I'd ever use.

Other than the quality, one of the main things I like about the March is the extreme tilt you can put on the scope. So if you get into lobbing pellets long distances, you don't have to do any exotic modifications to your scope mount. It's ready for pretty much anything you want to try.

The Genesis is pretty amazing. Maybe March will do a Genesis version of the new Majesta? If money were not a factor, for Benchrest airgun, 22 LR or PB, or F-Class with a PB gun, I would go with a March Majesta. The biggest problem I see is that once I had one, I would want MORE of them. I don't have a clue how FT works. Is there a class where the 8-80x would be allowed in FT at higher than 16x? I am assuming you could use it at 16x in the regular class.

I second the Sightron SII 36X. Great glass and simple tiny target dot reticle for BR.
All good, but the Sightron SII 36X reticle does not have any tick/hash marks. You will have to dial for wind using reticle type.
A scope like this would be a better choice:

Last edited:
@Raider03 , I don't dial turrets on my SII but rather use the target rings for wind hold offs. That’s a nice reticle on the Athlon but If given a choice I‘d prefer a simple clean reticle with a tiny target dot instead of busy hash mark reticles but that is only my opinion and others may prefer something else?

@Raider03 , I don't dial turrets on my SII but rather use the target rings for wind hold offs. That’s a nice reticle on the Athlon but If given a choice I‘d prefer a simple clean reticle with a tiny target dot instead of busy hash mark reticles but that is only my opinion and others may prefer something else?
@igolfat8 Thank you for the info on using the target rings.