Other Best semi auto air pistol for rattlesnakes?

So I live on 3 acres in the county (not city regulated) and my mom just two days ago got bit by a rattlesnake. I'm looking for a little .177 pistol we cam carry that will get the job done. I really enjoy having things of quality that last, so price isn't too much of a factor.
I am currently getting the gk1 shorty, but that won't be for this. I really just want a smaller little pellet pistol that will get the job done for small stuff like a rattler. No blowback cuz that's ridiculous, and the more power the better. C02 is best, but I'm not against a pcp. I've so far looked at the baretta 92fs and the gamo p430, as well as the cp88.
Really for it's use, I just want something that can kinda be thrown around not worrying about how much it costs. But also powerful enough to get the job done.
I know it's a bit of a loaded question lol but really if it gets the job done the gamo p430 may be best in my eyes due to cost. It's not like for $200 more, it would be that much more powerful. What are your thoughts

Reactions: Bandito
So I live on 3 acres in the county (not city regulated) and my mom just two days ago got bit by a rattlesnake. I'm looking for a little .177 pistol we cam carry that will get the job done. I really enjoy having things of quality that last, so price isn't too much of a factor.
I am currently getting the gk1 shorty, but that won't be for this. I really just want a smaller little pellet pistol that will get the job done for small stuff like a rattler. No blowback cuz that's ridiculous, and the more power the better. C02 is best, but I'm not against a pcp. I've so far looked at the baretta 92fs and the gamo p430, as well as the cp88.
Really for it's use, I just want something that can kinda be thrown around not worrying about how much it costs. But also powerful enough to get the job done.
I know it's a bit of a loaded question lol but really if it gets the job done the gamo p430 may be best in my eyes due to cost. It's not like for $200 more, it would be that much more powerful. What are your thoughts
Probably a diana bandit.

My vote based on your suggestions is the Crosman Vigilante. Holds ten pellets, is double / single action revolver. You arent gonna be sniping the rattlers so it's got enough power for headshot (or 10 cause that's how many a revolver cylinder holds lol) It is CO2 and is solid. Mine can shoot 70 before it is out of CO2. For pesting I probably wouldn't got more than 30 shots before swapping CO2. Definitely notice the fps difference after that.

However you aren't supposed to keep CO2 guns with the CO2 in there all the time unlike the above suggested PCP powered pistol.

The other alternative is a Beeman P17 which is a single stroke pneumatic. Only downside is you single load it.

Or you can just carry a machete!

No expert here, but probably a single shot, either pump up or PCP for more power. A good springer would I think be ok for a small to smaller medium size snake with a well placed shot.
My brother...the title says semi auto. Of course a single shot is going to be better, but unfortunately it's not just for me. And when dealing with a rattler they move QUICK.

My vote based on your suggestions is the Crosman Vigilante. Holds ten pellets, is double / single action revolver. You arent gonna be sniping the rattlers so it's got enough power for headshot (or 10 cause that's how many a revolver cylinder holds lol) It is CO2 and is solid. Mine can shoot 70 before it is out of CO2. For pesting I probably wouldn't got more than 30 shots before swapping CO2. Definitely notice the fps difference after that.

However you aren't supposed to keep CO2 guns with the CO2 in there all the time unlike the above suggested PCP powered pistol.

The other alternative is a Beeman P17 which is a single stroke pneumatic. Only downside is you single load it.

Or you can just carry a machete!
Bro a machete against a rattler!? That's wild hahaha the distance a snake can strike you at is farther than any machete. That'd be wildly dangerous. We have always used shovels but even that is dangerous. I'd rather have a little distance and be able to take a couple shots, plus my older mother and father.

Bro a machete against a rattler!? That's wild hahaha the distance a snake can strike you at is farther than any machete. That'd be wildly dangerous. We have always used shovels but even that is dangerous. I'd rather have a little distance and be able to take a couple shots, plus my older mother and father.
I was being funny about the machete lol
But the Vigilante was a serious suggestion. I understand it isn't as small as you might be wanting but it is very reliable and has ten shots before reloading. And that's pellets not BBs. Can pull back hammer for more precise shot if you notice snake a bit away or can just pull trigger double action to dump 10 shots into it if it's a surprise.

Also. Vigilante has picatinny rail where you can mount light/laser so if it is night or close you can still see where to shoot.

Plus theres a certain vibe about carrying a revolver around to quick draw on a snake. Kinda old west feel.

Size compared to 1911
20240825_224757~2.jpg
20240825_224832~2.jpg

I'd get a Crosman 600. You'll have to do a little searching to find one 'cause they haven't been made for about 50 years now, but there are still lots of them out there and they meet all your criteria.

If I was on 3 acres, a Pellet Pistol would not be My Choice. .22Mag w Snake shot would be better.
Yeah dude if it was up to me I'd just carry a glock 19 everywhere I go. But our government is corrupt and full of commie b****** so here we are lol
If it was in the cards to use a firearm I would. There's a reason we all use airguns. And usually it's due to legality, quietness, discreteness, etc.

Reactions: gendoc and Bandito
Your looking for accuracy on demand !, A C02 leaks out so is not reliable over a few days or weeks so it is not a "truck gun " Maybe a better idea would be to go through the hassle and get a permit for a silencer for one of your PB pistols . I think they are $500 and a wait .

My brother...the title says semi auto. Of course a single shot is going to be better, but unfortunately it's not just for me. And when dealing with a rattler they move QUICK.
I know title said semi auto. I tried one several years ago, one of the Sig models, It was so unreliable and jammed so much I would not suggest it as a boat anchor. I still say a single shot or some of the manually operated repeaters. I have a little Diana Airbug that has a magazine that uses a 9 shot rotary magazine or a single shot adapter. I find the Diana magazine not great but I got some carm aftermarket magazines which are totally reliable. Looking up specs for .177 they say 525 feet per second or 5 foot lbs energy, A .22 which would probably be a better choice for snakes at 460 fps and 6 foot lbs energy.

I seem to get around 50-60 shots out of a co2 cart with mine, you can tell when the shots are weaker as you near the end of a shot string.

Looking at offerings for semi auto's I suspect that accuracy will be lacking, and I would want accuracy for the job you mentioned. I once shot a moving rattlesnake with a very high quality .22 rimfire semi auto and that snake was not the easiest thing to hit.

Last edited:
Use a stick or snake shot in a .22 pistol. A pellet pistol is a poor choice for a snake IMHO.

You are going to miss by 1/4" sometimes and get a bad shot. The snake will go wild. You will miss 3 more times before he crawls into a bush and dissappears.

Just whack them with a stick. Works every time.

A sick Crosman Co2 BB gun on an empty cylinder is plenty of power to kill the biggest rattler. You don't need to worry about power or FPE. It's hitting the head or spine that is the issue.

You can hit a snake anywhere with a stick and break the spine. If you are afraid to get close just get a longer stick.

Better yet get 2 guinea hens. They make great pets and will quickly eliminate every snake in the area.

Last edited: