Other Best semi auto air pistol for rattlesnakes?

So I live on 3 acres in the county (not city regulated) and my mom just two days ago got bit by a rattlesnake. I'm looking for a little .177 pistol we cam carry that will get the job done. I really enjoy having things of quality that last, so price isn't too much of a factor.
I am currently getting the gk1 shorty, but that won't be for this. I really just want a smaller little pellet pistol that will get the job done for small stuff like a rattler. No blowback cuz that's ridiculous, and the more power the better. C02 is best, but I'm not against a pcp. I've so far looked at the baretta 92fs and the gamo p430, as well as the cp88.
Really for it's use, I just want something that can kinda be thrown around not worrying about how much it costs. But also powerful enough to get the job done.
I know it's a bit of a loaded question lol but really if it gets the job done the gamo p430 may be best in my eyes due to cost. It's not like for $200 more, it would be that much more powerful. What are your thoughts

Reactions: Bandito
Huben GK1

IMG_0978.jpeg

IMG_0982.jpeg

IMG_0806.jpeg

So I live on 3 acres in the county (not city regulated) and my mom just two days ago got bit by a rattlesnake. I'm looking for a little .177 pistol we cam carry that will get the job done. I really enjoy having things of quality that last, so price isn't too much of a factor.
I am currently getting the gk1 shorty, but that won't be for this. I really just want a smaller little pellet pistol that will get the job done for small stuff like a rattler. No blowback cuz that's ridiculous, and the more power the better. C02 is best, but I'm not against a pcp. I've so far looked at the baretta 92fs and the gamo p430, as well as the cp88.
Really for it's use, I just want something that can kinda be thrown around not worrying about how much it costs. But also powerful enough to get the job done.
I know it's a bit of a loaded question lol but really if it gets the job done the gamo p430 may be best in my eyes due to cost. It's not like for $200 more, it would be that much more powerful. What are your thoughts
@BABz58 Nice photos, but I don't think he's trying to break the bank here for this application. The gun he's asking for suggestions about he says is for his mother to carry around the property. He wants a .177, and something that can be thrown around. Plus he already said he's getting a GK1 shorty.

This is my go -to snake gun.
KWC M712.
Select fire, but I leave it on full auto when hiking in rattler country. Short bursts are all that’s needed.
I do carry extra mags but have never needed more than one.
Only caveat … steel BBs can hit hard, but they can also ricochet off rocks (like down by the river), so I need to be mindful of anyone else nearby.

E541D243-82AD-47A5-9F2A-A43FE2AD90DA.jpeg

Reactions: Bandito and BABz58
i just purchased yesterday a used M1-A1 carbine just for that purpose !! :sneaky:
but mine are cottonmouths!! bad juju right there........
Great minds think alike 😁
I’m normally not a fan of BB guns, but KWC got me with their M712 and P08. Both suffer from “loose barrel shroud” syndrome but that was easily fixed with epoxy.
That M1 looks like fun. There’s a fellow in here who outfitted his M1 with all wood grip, stock, etc. Finished item is absolutely beautiful.

Reactions: Bandito and gendoc
if you are looking for a short range, small, light snake protection pistol, it cannot be an air pistol. They are way to large and heavy, not to mention expensive. The only solution is a .22 Winmag 6 shot short barrel revolver using snake shot. Cheaper, faster and easy to hit a snake when excited.
Right right. I'll have to let the federal government know my only solution is to now own a firearm, being a federal felon LOL

There are enough laws and regulations on the books that everyone is capable of being charged and convicted of something. Remember that when the government points the guilty finger at anyone, the other 3 guilty fingers are pointing back at them. I will have more to say later on your accuracy issue with pistols. If the sight systems were designed to address close range targeting, the results would be better. I'm surprised at all the non-air gun solutions that have been posted for your problem. Good luck!

I would recommend a CO2 compact pistol that has a bottom picatinny rail. Pistol specs of about +500FPS velocity using a 7-grain pellet should be sufficient for killing a snake. I would mount a green laser that is visual out to 20 yards. If the laser beam to pistol bore center has a distance of 1", I would recommend tuning the laser with a zero at 10yds. That setup should be sufficient to use zero hold from 3 yards to 20 yards and be within 1/2" of aim point. If the specs are different, the results will vary. Contact me if you have any problems. This setup may offer you a better solution for your problem, although the other solutions were quite effective and colorful. I do a lot of close-range precision shooting, but I use a different setup for more accuracy.

I would recommend a CO2 compact pistol that has a bottom picatinny rail. Pistol specs of about +500FPS velocity using a 7-grain pellet should be sufficient for killing a snake. I would mount a green laser that is visual out to 20 yards. If the laser beam to pistol bore center has a distance of 1", I would recommend tuning the laser with a zero at 10yds. That setup should be sufficient to use zero hold from 3 yards to 20 yards and be within 1/2" of aim point. If the specs are different, the results will vary. Contact me if you have any problems. This setup may offer you a better solution for your problem, although the other solutions were quite effective and colorful. I do a lot of close-range precision shooting, but I use a different setup for more accuracy.
This is an overlooked issue as I see it too. We get so used to using optics and shooting at targets at longer ranges that we forget to account for the offset of our sights up really close. Sure, any serious shooter is aware of it, but how many times do we actually practice at 15' or less? It's particularly bad with bullpups where the scope might be 3" above the bore.

Reactions: MRaccurate
This method will meet the user's needs, but it is not the method I would use now. I use a system that does not have any vertical offset and is more accurate for close range. I run a small 2 station air gun range, and it has only 13 yards for distance. Kids that are <4 years old have shot very consistently soda cans with pellet pistols from 2-13 yards using my system. I have to keep making the targets smaller to give them more challenge. 6-year-old and older kids are doing very well shooting suspended pencil erasers and the fishing line holding the soda cans anywhere in that distance. I have learned that very young kids like learning to shoot at close range and build their skill before taking on longer range shooting. I'm disappointed that company reps show no interest in this concept since the present young shooters are the future shooters. We need to grow this group larger, if we expect this sport to be around in the future. I have laughed at myself, and all the good 100-yard shooters that can hit a dime, then struggle shooting a dime at 5 yards. I couldn't do it well until I developed this sight theory. I agree, this issue is really magnified the more offset there is. Thanks for noticing that this issue is often overlooked.

I think that we tend not to notice it due to the way that we practice. When most of us are practicing at close range we're usually using handguns and iron or reflex sights and those are particularly well suited to close range work. When we shoot at distance we tend to use scoped rifles which are particularly well suited for that.

I got asked to kill off a flock of chickens for a family member about a year ago though and it quickly became apparent how poorly suited a bullpup with a high magnification scope was for that kind of work. So far the laser is about the best secondary sight for close up shooting I have found. I've tried tilting the rifle 45 degrees and sighting down the stock or along the moderator, but without any actual sights I found the accuracy to be poor. I know that offset sights are the favored backup method these days for defensive rifles, but they also tend to be too far away from the bore for precision close range shooting.

I think that we tend not to notice it due to the way that we practice. When most of us are practicing at close range we're usually using handguns and iron or reflex sights and those are particularly well suited to close range work. When we shoot at distance we tend to use scoped rifles which are particularly well suited for that.

I got asked to kill off a flock of chickens for a family member about a year ago though and it quickly became apparent how poorly suited a bullpup with a high magnification scope was for that kind of work. So far the laser is about the best secondary sight for close up shooting I have found. I've tried tilting the rifle 45 degrees and sighting down the stock or along the moderator, but without any actual sights I found the accuracy to be poor. I know that offset sights are the favored backup method these days for defensive rifles, but they also tend to be too far away from the bore for precision close range shooting.
Chickens would be tuff, even with a shotgun. You gave me a good laugh with that one. Thanks!

This is my go -to snake gun.
KWC M712.
Select fire, but I leave it on full auto when hiking in rattler country. Short bursts are all that’s needed.
I do carry extra mags but have never needed more than one.
Only caveat … steel BBs can hit hard, but they can also ricochet off rocks (like down by the river), so I need to be mindful of anyone else nearby.

View attachment 492144
I’m typically not a big fan of BB guns, preferring pellet guns for better accuracy. But some circumstances favor raw firepower (full auto) over accuracy, like hammering rattlers at close range in an unplanned quick-draw situation 🙂